New cold air kit coming soon!

steve9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Would someone please put one of these on and report back!

Yea, it might be me. Got a MAC FIPK on my truck and while I did't feel the 15hp on a 5.4L, I definately felt the throttle response. The MAC was a chrome steel tube for about $150. If these are SS or Al, that would be a pretty good deal.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Just received an email this morning from Steeda. Here is what they said.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:20 AM

To: Rodney

Subject: RE: Cold air kit

not yet, but I did sneak into manufacturing and its almost done. besides we also have a bunch of things we are making for the edge. I'll keep you updated and the release date.. Thanks Jim.

• 4 weeks later...
Check out these pics of a new cold air kit Steeda is working on!

http://www.fordedgeclub.com/forums/index.p...opic=3.msg5#new

an email I put in to them last week said that they plan to have it available "in a few weeks".. so we will see.

that one above I linked to by Green seems to no longer be listed. might have never existed, but at the time if the link, it did.

an email I put in to them last week said that they plan to have it available "in a few weeks".. so we will see.

2 weeks past and I go this, "havent heard anything from R+D department, but i"ll look into it..." so that does not bode well for an immediate release :(

UPDATE 9.10.08: got this random email this week from them, "will be coming out soon,, getting closer."

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some new info from Steeda that just might price many of us out of doing their CAI (when/if it finally comes out). I guess it makes sense, no one else ever posted this fact nor does it seem mentioned on other CAI kit sites, but it adds significantly to the cost of the mod....

In response to my question of: I read this about some of your other CAI's "Note: Use of Steeda's Cold Air Intake REQUIRES a tune under any application, which is sold separately" will this be the case for the one for the Edge?

I was told: "yes, our cold air kits flow to much air, so the computer needs to be tuned. Dont be fooled by versions that dont need a re-tune, they dont produce any power. All cold airs that 'Increase horsepower and gas mileage' you need to tell the computer to adjust air/fuel to take care of it. We will have a package im sure like the mustang, for cold air and tuner combined. So yes you will need both."

further info: if you own your own tuner already it is an additional $45-50 for a correct Steeda CAI specific tune and they email it to you. if you do not own a tuner and buy one with their package, from what I understand from them get 3 with it and they will load for you into tuner.

Edited by Lex Talionis

I saw that info on Steeda's cai kits for the mustang. Not surprized if they say the same thing on the edge. I don't know when they will release the cai for the edge. I sent an email a week ago asking for an update on the cai, but no answer! I have asked for info on their tunes for the edge, but they provided no additional info then what you stated above. I almost purchased a tuner from Evolution, but I didn't want to have to pay for additional tunes to account for the cai at a later date.

I almost purchased a tuner from Evolution, but I didn't want to have to pay for additional tunes to account for the cai at a later date.

I agree 100%. since I am 'considering' this mod, I will wait to see how it all pans out when they release. better to get it all from them then to have that separate and then still have to pay for yet more CAI specific tunes - in the end, that would be more coin. I just had a flurry of emails with Jim and he answered all of my questions, so that was cool. That is when I learned this new info about the fact you must have a tune to use their CAI. he says if you just put their CAI on with no tune, the car will not run correctly with all of the excess air.

all this being said, these guys 'seem' like the one company taking a CAI for the Edge serious: doing actual dyno tests, using tunes, quality materials, years in the business of actually doing this.. the only issue is that it is taking soooo long

Edited by Lex Talionis

I agree, way toooooo long! Did they say anything about using carbon fiber for the air tube instead of steel? I noticed that Steeda offers both for the Mustang.

they did not.. but I did not ask that questions as the cost would be more - roughly $100 - than I wanted for that mod, so it was not on my list to ask. They say on the site that the carbon fiber version "allows for colder air induction system temperatures resulting in less heat soak and lower air charge temperatures than competitive brands using metal tubes" but notice how it does not need a new tune to use it over plastic or steel? that seems kind of odd, no? I would think if it is that beneficial, it would need the tune modified. anyway, its not in my budget

I find this "TUNE" difficult to believe. most of today's ecm/pcm are so advanced that they compensate automatically. just like some people live in the mountains and some at sea level the air is less the higher you go. We have mass air flow sensors that tell the computer what is on the way in. I dont buy it i bet a simple reset of the pcm battery disconnect will take care of it. I know when i put the K&n on my 5.9 durango r/t it made a huge difference. with no tune what so ever.

Sounds like Snake oil to me.

I find this "TUNE" difficult to believe. most of today's ecm/pcm are so advanced that they compensate automatically. just like some people live in the mountains and some at sea level the air is less the higher you go. We have mass air flow sensors that tell the computer what is on the way in. I dont buy it i bet a simple reset of the pcm battery disconnect will take care of it. I know when i put the K&n on my 5.9 durango r/t it made a huge difference. with no tune what so ever.

you make a decent point about mountains vs sea level. unless maybe that air flow diff is not as dramatic there as changing out the whole system and that change out is so dramatic, it requires an adjustment. this would be the same with just changing an air filter, that is not enough of a flow change to warrant a tune versus the entire intake system... but I see your point. one of those areas I am just not versed in enough to say.

Here is Steeda's response to your comment: a stock computer compensates for about 1/4 of the air flow of what an aftermarket cold air system can flow. not only the elemenet but the cold air intake is almost double in size.

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 2 weeks later...

Well in new cars like the Edge and the Mustang have newer mafs that work with the electronic throttle body. The pcm needs to know how much to open up the TB base upon what the maf readings, too much airflow (over voltage) would cause the car to run lean. On older cars like your 5.9 do not have mafs installed, instead they use a MAP sensor to read the manifold pressure instead of the flow/volume of the intake air. When you get the tune you can up the volts going to the maf over the stock limits and allows the maf to read the new air flow. Plus when you get a tune you can add more timing and fuel to make better hp @ the wheels. New mustangs w/ the cold + tune have seen up to 15-25rwhp.

while out of country, I got this email I just found from Steeda

"New news. Just got done with the cold air and customing tuning on our edge, We are producing 34 hp with this combination. Nice increase. So this package is one step closer. The 13mile edge just got off the dyno about a hour ago. We are excited, it is 93 degrees out also, which is a nice increase with this heat in florida. WE are getting closer to production."

and

"Usaully with a cold air and tuner, you will always see a increase in gas milage. I would guess about 1.8-3.2 mpg increase, basing it on the fusion CAI. But not sure yet, being performance orientated, We still are trying to untap the power and so far we are impressed."

• 1 month later...

I am sort of confused on why they are saying this. The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor measures ironically the amount of air entering the engine. And by design is less sensitive or insensitive to air density. And the ECU also accounts for intake temperature via the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor.

So it shouldn't matter if the air filter is flowing more as the sensor will tell the ECU what is flowing. The only concern would be overflowing the sensor... but I doubt this is a problem.

If what they are saying is you need to tune to see benefits... then I certaintly agree. But I don't see how it can have a negative impact since ford used a MAF setup. Now if it were a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) type of configuration... then that is something different as the ECU derives the density based upon a number of different factors.

Edited by Splitpi

• 4 weeks later...