A scary problem with my Edge

kidapollo

I am hoping that someone here might be having the same problem I am, as my dealer will not do anything about it ... here's what's happening:

At slower speeds, something happens, either in the wheels or transmission, that makes the Edge feel like it has run over a curb or hit a giant pothole. However, it hasn't done either of those things. It is like a violent jolt from inside the engine. This has happened four times in the past two weeks. However, when I take it to the dealer, they say they can't find anything. I'm not crazy. Something is wrong with my vehicle.

By the way, my stats: 2007 FWD.

A little more about this: I drove 2 hours on the Pa. turnpike to Philly this weekend. No problems on the turnpike. Once I was in the city, driving slower with many stops, the jolt hits. Driving back home from Philly, same story. Nothing happens on the turnpike, but it does the same thing as I'm pulling into my building's parking lot from the street.

Any suggestions, ideas, similar problems?

Thanks

It does not sound like anything exactly on the TSB's. But... check these out

07-17-9

PCM - BATTERY JUNCTION BOX (BJB)- POSSIBLE MIL ON WITH MULTIPLE DTCS, NO CRANK/NO START, DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS.

07-16-5

BATTERY JUNCTION BOX (BJB)- POSSIBLE MIL ON WITH MULTIPLE DTCS, NO CRANK/NO START, DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS

But since it is "intermittent", dealing with a dealer is difficult. If they cant find/experience the problem, they cant fix it.

I would try to find the best way to reproduce the problem (which it sounds like you have). Then do it with the dealer service tech/manager in the Edge with you. This way, they can experience it first hand and you can see them experiencing it. Then proceed from there.

Maybe others that have had this problem or more knowledge can be of more assistance.

Solas

Are you talking about a single isolated "jolt" or a repetitive event?

My 08 SEL FWD will "slam shift" every once in a while when it shifts into or out of second after sitting for a long time. Usually when its really cold over night. You hear an over rev. and then it slams in to gear and the whole car shudders and jumps. Think back to learning to drive an standard and dropping the clutch.

Without a code light coming on it will be hard to repeat what you are encountering. Look for a pattern and write down the details each time it happens. If its first thing after being driven then you will need to leave it at the dealer with instructions to take it out first thing in the morning etc...

Good luck

My 08 SEL FWD will "slam shift" every once in a while when it shifts into or out of second after sitting for a long time. Usually when its really cold over night. You hear an over rev. and then it slams in to gear and the whole car shudders and jumps. Think back to learning to drive an standard and dropping the clutch.

Without a code light coming on it will be hard to repeat what you are encountering. Look for a pattern and write down the details each time it happens. If its first thing after being driven then you will need to leave it at the dealer with instructions to take it out first thing in the morning etc...

Good luck

Thank you for replying. It is tough to say whether this is a repetitive or isolated incident. It has happened five times in the past two weeks. Twice during one trip. Once the following day. Then I took it in for service for the first time. They told me they couldn't find anything. I got it back from the shop, didn't have any problems for a couple days, then it happened after a two-and-a-half hour trip to Philly, once I was in the city. It happened the fifth time on my return trip from Philly, as I was pulling into my parking lot from the street in front of my apartment building.

It doesn't happen when shifting. And it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the car being cold or warmed up. I took it back to the shop this week for the second time. I drove it around for about an hour before I went in, hoping to recreate the problem. I knew they were going to send (the world's oldest) mechanic for a drive with me. We drove around for another half hour or so, and it didn't do it. So, they sent me home and told me that once it gets worse or once I break down, they might be able to figure out what it is.

I am going to call tomorrow to ask about the HUC anti-lock brake problem with the early '07s.

I have had similar issues with my 2007 Edge (5200 miles).

I have heard a couple different things.

1. The six speed trans is computer controlled and "learns". My neighbor works for Ford and told me that I could request the transmission be "re-flashed"... re-programmed.

2. I am also told that Ford knows of this issue. (Thus, the re-flash as a recomendation)

3. I have also been told that the "engagement" part of the electronic control system controls the torque converter and clutches sometimes creating this issue. Again, this might go back to re-programming the trans.

First thing I would do is request your dealer re-program the transmission and see what happens.

If this does not improve the complaint, I would get Ford involved.

From what I understand, these transmissions are in other vehicles as well and are considered reliable.

On my Edge... I noticed the issue (banging into gear at low speeds) early on, but haven't noticed it recently.

I am watching and listening.

I have had similar issues with my 2007 Edge (5200 miles).

I have heard a couple different things.

1. The six speed trans is computer controlled and "learns". My neighbor works for Ford and told me that I could request the transmission be "re-flashed"... re-programmed.

2. I am also told that Ford knows of this issue. (Thus, the re-flash as a recomendation)

3. I have also been told that the "engagement" part of the electronic control system controls the torque converter and clutches sometimes creating this issue. Again, this might go back to re-programming the trans.

First thing I would do is request your dealer re-program the transmission and see what happens.

If this does not improve the complaint, I would get Ford involved.

From what I understand, these transmissions are in other vehicles as well and are considered reliable.

On my Edge... I noticed the issue (banging into gear at low speeds) early on, but haven't noticed it recently.

I am watching and listening.

My 2007 edge has banged into 2nd gear when accelerating away from traffic light after easing up on the pedal and then hitting the gas pedal again. This has only happened once. Also have tranny slipping when shifting from 5th to 6th gear. The rpm increases 500 rpm and then drops back to mormal after a second or two. This started at 6000 miles and now have 9000 miles on the Edge. Will be taking to dealer in a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck

My 07 MKX has started doing this again. They reprogrammed the computer in September & its had no further problem until this week.

• 3 weeks later...
I am hoping that someone here might be having the same problem I am, as my dealer will not do anything about it ... here's what's happening:

At slower speeds, something happens, either in the wheels or transmission, that makes the Edge feel like it has run over a curb or hit a giant pothole. However, it hasn't done either of those things. It is like a violent jolt from inside the engine. This has happened four times in the past two weeks. However, when I take it to the dealer, they say they can't find anything. I'm not crazy. Something is wrong with my vehicle.

By the way, my stats: 2007 FWD.

A little more about this: I drove 2 hours on the Pa. turnpike to Philly this weekend. No problems on the turnpike. Once I was in the city, driving slower with many stops, the jolt hits. Driving back home from Philly, same story. Nothing happens on the turnpike, but it does the same thing as I'm pulling into my building's parking lot from the street.

Any suggestions, ideas, similar problems?

Thanks

Let your voice be heard........

Not saying you will also experience problems with your Edge like I have. Just to give you some of my issues. I have a 2007 Edge FWD purchased new this year. A few of my concerns are: Oil leaks, Transmission issues(car getting stuck is gears), rollback while driving and you are on an incline(My Edge does not HOLD), major paint issues where some of the areas not painted at all or some of the painted areas is wrinkled. FUMES!!! That’s right FUMES entering into the cabin (My guess is it might be a coolant leak due to the smell). Also, my Edge is not running smooth, sometimes it feels like I am driving a jeep and the car also continues to drift to the right.

I have taken my Edge to the dealership time and time again, and on just about all the issues the dealership gave me their famous words: "TEST DROVE AND WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE" I even contacted Ford motor company directly and all they did was back the dealership without question. Heaven forbid the dealership missed something!

The last words Ford gave me were: Go to the BBB! (Better Business Bureau)I purchased the 2007 Ford Edge SEL new this year in Feb. of 2008 from a local dealership here is Dallas, Texas.

So if you’re having problems or concerns come up, make sure you report your complaints so you are heard and contact your local dealership to see if you get the same famous words I have: "TEST DROVE AND WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE"

YOU CAN START REPORTING YOU’RE COMPLAINTS TO

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com

http://www.carcomplaints.com/

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!!!!!