2009 Sync wonky

History: this 2009 Edge sat for about 8 months with a junk PTU, so the battery naturally went dead sometime during the winter. Before pushing it to the end of the driveway to ferment, everything except the PTU worked normally, including the radio/nav which my wife used daily. Last week I finally replaced the PTU, bought a new battery, gave it a 50 miles shakedown cruise where everything worked as it should and gave the car to my sister who needed one. Today she called me to tell me the radio and nav are acting up.

Yesterday, none of the controls on the radio proper worked, but she was able to affect a radio station and volume change by using the controls on the steering wheel. Today the radio controls on the unit itself are again working but the nav unit is giving incorrect information, directions, and not updating position.

I'm stopping by tomorrow to see what's going on but does it seem a battery disconnect procedure might help this, or is there a firmware update procedure that might help?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

John

Don't think I've every had a firmware update in my 09 MKX. I would try pulling fuses for 15 m to 1/2 hr to let caps discharge.

Radio setting in car for months on end is no different than sitting on shelf, so I doubt that in itself is the cause.

May have experienced a spike when reconnecting battery after so long a layoff. Should have 2-3 fuses to pull.

May have experienced a spike when reconnecting battery after so long a layoff. Should have 2-3 fuses to pull.

This is the list I found. So there are four fuses radio related that I can see; 3, 13, 28, and 39 plus #38 which is the subwoofer (unlikely to cause system control issues). When I stop by to see the car tomorrow I'll pull those fuses out while having coffee. Thanks for the info, I'll report back.

John

ford-edge-fuse-panel-relay-thumb.png

#3 Sync

#13 Sat Radio

#28 Radio

#38 Subwoofer/Amp

#39 Radio

Edited by JohnCT

When checking the radio today, I found it mostly functional. What doesn't work is the Nav. There's a box with a NO GPS indicator in the upper left hand corner. It thinks the car is some 20 miles away from where it actually is, and won't change as the car is driven. It also won't allow the time to be set (the buttons are greyed out).

I tried pulling the four fuses for half an hour, and no joy. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and I remain without any joy. I tried a Master Reset (no help there) and a restore default that would supposedly sync something to the nav or gps (can't remember) and it's still unaware of where it is.

Any ideas? GPS antenna perhaps?

John

Edited by JohnCT

If you still getting the "No GPS" icon, try running a diagnostic test on the ACM.

Put radio in navigation mode (press MAP) and then press and hold the 3 and 6 buttons simultaneously. That will take you into ACM diagnostic mode and start the speaker walk test. Be prepared for a loud tone from one of the speakers.

Before the speaker test finishes, press the "end test" soft button on tbe screen and you will enter the diagnostics mode.

Press GPS test on the screen. One piece of information shown is the number of satellite signals the GPS unit is receiving.

If it's 3 or less it will trip the "No GPS" icon, but usually it should be around 6 or more. If your in a clear area and should be expecting a GPS lock, go to the dealer and have them check the antenna.

I just went out and ran a test on my 09 MKX and got 6 satellites in the garage. (Usually I get the "no gps" when the garage door is up and blocking the signals).

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Thanks sir. Yes, I had tried that yesterday and first had zero satellites, later I tried it and it said 2 or 3, I can't remember which, but the car was outside with no tree cover whatsoever, and it was clear day as well. Open shot to the sky.

The Sat antenna is the bump on the top of the air deflector on the rear hatch, yes? I've read other references that mention the antenna being behind the radio under the dash pad, but I'm pretty sure it's out back. Next time I see the car I'll pull the antenna out and check the connections, clean them and try adding some dielectric grease to it/them.

Strange that when Googling the "no gps" symbol, everyone who posted mentioned this happened after a dead battery. Odd.

John

GPS antenna is under the top of the instrument cover, under the front, center speaker ans just above the radio. It's more easily accessed by pulling the speaker cover (just prys out).

If it were me, I believe I would pull the radio unit and check the GPS connection to see if it's in solid and no corrosion. It's the pink connector at the back of the ACU. Baring this, I would then consider changing the GPS unit.

The shark fin at the back of the roof is your Sirus satellite antenna.

Got it! Next time I see the car I'll pull the radio and check the ant connection and NOT waste my time with the shark fin at the back (which I was ready to pull out).

My sister said today that the map is actually updating and is closer to home, but still has the "no gps" indicator. Hopefully, it's a marginal connection or an antenna issue at worst.

When I get it sorted out I'll post the solution.

John

Sounds like its getting a marginal signal. The map "can" update based on an occasional connection to the gps, and when it looses it's connection, it will attempt to calculate where you are based on the distance traveled & the steering wheel angle. When it picks up a GPS signal again, it will reset the nav display to the current location.

You can pick up a GPS antenna unit for $30 on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230888408152

Edited by enigma-2

You can pick up a GPS antenna unit for $30 on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230888408152

Or even less! If you search "Ford" "GPS" and "Pink", you get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-GPS-Active-Antenna-Fakra-SMB-Pink-H-jack-3M-Cable-for-ford-lincoln-Mercury-/281126337095?epid=668911223&hash=item41746f7a47:g:JZwAAOxyIAZRx7P8

It seems that the Chinese aftermarket has these covered, and by the number of various knock offs available and the amount of them they sell for all brands of cars, it would appear these active antennas are troublesome.

John