Bad Paint Job

jhodson1016

In general I love my '07 Edge. We jumped at the chance to buy it because it was the only Carbon colored Edge we could find. We are having the same problems everyone else is having with the Vista roof not opening or closing quick enough and it actually gets stuck some and won't move. Haven't taken it in yet but planning to soon.

I went to wax my Edge last weekend and was stunned in disbelief aa I stared at over 10 areas where there was no paint, only primer with a bit of Carbon overspray. This in on the inside of the back lift gate, doors and hood and fenders. Looks like the robots missed these areas. I know a lot of cars go through the plant but I'm suprised this was missed but I guess I missed it until this point too. I've had 5 Fords over the past 20 years each getting close to 200,000 miles before I traded them in. I currently have my Edge (15K miles) and a '05 F150 Super Crew (42K Miles). My buddy that works for GM says that I should not accept a repaint under warranty but insist on a replacement vehicle. He states he has seen GM have to buy cars back for this due to a repaint decreasing the value of a vehicle. I contacted FOMOCO, hopefully I will get a positive response from them and quickly. My wife is so angry about this, she wanted a Volvo XC90 and I convinced her to get her EDGE, she loved it until the paint issue and now wonders about the overall quality and longevity of this vehicle. Iknow others have experienced the same paint issues. Any feedback or help would be great.

LOVE MY FORDS BUT MAN....This is an expensive care to have this type of problem...I expect this on a KIA!

John :banghead:

In general I love my '07 Edge. We jumped at the chance to buy it because it was the only Carbon colored Edge we could find. We are having the same problems everyone else is having with the Vista roof not opening or closing quick enough and it actually gets stuck some and won't move. Haven't taken it in yet but planning to soon.

I went to wax my Edge last weekend and was stunned in disbelief aa I stared at over 10 areas where there was no paint, only primer with a bit of Carbon overspray. This in on the inside of the back lift gate, doors and hood and fenders. Looks like the robots missed these areas. I know a lot of cars go through the plant but I'm suprised this was missed but I guess I missed it until this point too. I've had 5 Fords over the past 20 years each getting close to 200,000 miles before I traded them in. I currently have my Edge (15K miles) and a '05 F150 Super Crew (42K Miles). My buddy that works for GM says that I should not accept a repaint under warranty but insist on a replacement vehicle. He states he has seen GM have to buy cars back for this due to a repaint decreasing the value of a vehicle. I contacted FOMOCO, hopefully I will get a positive response from them and quickly. My wife is so angry about this, she wanted a Volvo XC90 and I convinced her to get her EDGE, she loved it until the paint issue and now wonders about the overall quality and longevity of this vehicle. Iknow others have experienced the same paint issues. Any feedback or help would be great.

LOVE MY FORDS BUT MAN....This is an expensive care to have this type of problem...I expect this on a KIA!

John :banghead:

I understand how you are feeling. I purchased my Edge maybe a month ago and have noticed the same thing. The dealership wants to repaint it. Repainting the car is not good enough. I don't see how a paint job from a body shop will match the paint job from the factory. I have had cars repainted due to car accidents and they never last they are crack. Not sure what my next move will be . :censored:

Edited by Always_smile1st

I work for an OEM automotive paint supplier. Ford is one of our many customers along with BWM, Mercedes, GM, Honda, Nissan and Subaru. If these defects are only on the interior I would definitely have them repainted at the dealership. These areas are painted for cosmetic reasons only and the lack of color there will not affect the durability of the finish. The aftermarket paint should last long after you have traded or sold your vehicle.

If you have exterior defects like this then that is a different story. I doubt Ford will replace your vehicle even in this instance. Most likely, the only thing they will offer and will pay for will be a paint job from the dealership. Carbon is no longer offered as a color on the Edge. Otherwise, you might have been able to negotiate a parts change with factory painted parts.

Hmmmm....

Seems like all the posts that I have read with this paint condition were black Edges. Has anyone read a post where this occurred with a different color?

I have the Blazing Copper Edge - but with different paint problems.

I still have the missing cosmetic paint on the liftgate, behind the doors etc. I am not too worried because a lot of other vehicles have this stupid money saving feature - morons. Ooohh, we put out crap for years and wonder why people dont buy our vehicles - doi!

Mine has dirt UNDER the clear coat. This is not IN the clear coat, like rail dust from transportation (that came out with my polish btw), but the dirt is actually UNDER the clear coat. I am taking it in next week - that is the first available time i can get the car (it is my wifes) and bring it to the dealer to document it.

I dont have the primer problems on the outside panels. I still polish seal and wax the interior panels (more so since there is no paint) to help protect it. Yes, you cant see them. However, they STILL get hit with the environment such as salt dirt and grime, and most people dont clean there.

fwiw

Solas

• 2 weeks later...

I still have the missing cosmetic paint on the liftgate, behind the doors etc. I am not too worried because a lot of other vehicles have this stupid money saving feature - morons. Ooohh, we put out crap for years and wonder why people dont buy our vehicles - doi!

Mine has dirt UNDER the clear coat. This is not IN the clear coat, like rail dust from transportation (that came out with my polish btw), but the dirt is actually UNDER the clear coat. I am taking it in next week - that is the first available time i can get the car (it is my wifes) and bring it to the dealer to document it.

I dont have the primer problems on the outside panels. I still polish seal and wax the interior panels (more so since there is no paint) to help protect it. Yes, you cant see them. However, they STILL get hit with the environment such as salt dirt and grime, and most people dont clean there.

fwiw

Solas

Actually, the missing cosmetic paint is not a money saving feature. It just means that it wasn't painted properly and was missed at inspection and shipped out of the plant. If it bothers you, I'd have it painted while they are doing the other repair work for you.

:rockon:

I need to chime in here...

For as much as I love my white sand tri coat Edge, I have to admit that as I spend more time with it and cleaning it and seeing every surface of it as I clean it in various light conditions, it really has one of the lowest quality paint jobs I have seen or had on a car. I can point out dozens of small and slight imperfections: bumps, what looks like dust/dirt particles under paint, thin paint in areas (like under edge of wheel wells), contamination, rough bumpy spots (like around the headlights), and then some just imperfections I can't name that look like tiny tiny splatters of another paint color.

I would consider the paint and quality of paint job my biggest actual gripe about this car.

oh yeah... and I paid extra for this color/paint job to boot <_<

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I understand how you are feeling. I purchased my Edge maybe a month ago and have noticed the same thing. The dealership wants to repaint it. Repainting the car is not good enough. I don't see how a paint job from a body shop will match the paint job from the factory. I have had cars repainted due to car accidents and they never last they are crack. Not sure what my next move will be . :censored:

We have had a TERRIBLE time with FOMOCO regarding our 2008 Vapor Edge.... Paint on the interior lift gate is bubbling and peeling and also all four door drainage areas are actually rusting.... they have already painted the lift gate area but the repaint looks HORRIBLE and they refuse to do anything about the doors stating that we should have "waxed" them and that would have prevented the problem... in other words... we should have waxed our two week old edge!!!! WHO DOES THAT???? Is it even recommended???? We have gotten NOWHERE with FOMOCO or the dealership where we purchased the Edge... Gas mileage also seems to be lacking... gets worse with time! I too am worried about the outcome... what will my Edge look like a year from now if I am already having these problems first noticed at 2 weeks!!!!????

post-4427-1218411758_thumb.jpg

post-4427-1218412102_thumb.jpg

post-4427-1218412177_thumb.jpg

Edited by edgeowner9

• 3 weeks later...
We have had a TERRIBLE time with FOMOCO regarding our 2008 Vapor Edge.... Paint on the interior lift gate is bubbling and peeling and also all four door drainage areas are actually rusting.... they have already painted the lift gate area but the repaint looks HORRIBLE and they refuse to do anything about the doors stating that we should have "waxed" them and that would have prevented the problem... in other words... we should have waxed our two week old edge!!!! WHO DOES THAT???? Is it even recommended???? We have gotten NOWHERE with FOMOCO or the dealership where we purchased the Edge... Gas mileage also seems to be lacking... gets worse with time! I too am worried about the outcome... what will my Edge look like a year from now if I am already having these problems first noticed at 2 weeks!!!!????

The bubbling on the lift gate looks like it was on the silicone seal. Not much can be done about that. The rust well that is a problem, I have never seen anybody wax in that area before though but you most definitely can wax a new vehicle.

fwiw

Solas

Solas and all:

I have the same condition with my Blazing Copper Edge. There are spots where, while I was clay-barring my Edge, I noticed little spots that wouldn't clay bar out. :rant: I then noticed all of these spots were little, black specks that were on the vehicle prior to the time the clear coat was applied. This sure doesn't speak well for the quality inspections they are supposed to do, nor does it speak well for the cleanliness of their paint line. The folks at Ford need to wake up! :reading: This is why Toyota and Honda are making such strides.

Did your dealership fix the places on your Blazing Copper Edge? If so, how long were you without a ride? Are you satisfied with the results?

Thanks

BP