Edge Sales Skyrocket

Edge Sales Skyrocket

Edge retail sales were up 35 percent in March and 52 percent in the first quarter, thanks in part to stronger sales on the coasts. The California region accounted for more than 10 percent of Edge sales in the first quarter of 2008, versus 7 percent in the first quarter 2007. First quarter retail sales on the west coast and Northeast more than doubled compared with a year ago.

This signals the growing appeal of the country’s best-selling crossover in 2007. During the first quarter of 2007, Edge’s introduction quarter, more than one-third of Edge retail sales came from the Great Lakes area. During the same period in 2008, this region drove only one-fourth of Edge sales. READ MORE HERE.

We certainly agree that the Edge is a great vehicle. Have had ours 4 months with the only thing needed being the first oil change. We like it more and more with each passing week. This was the first Ford product we have ever owned in over 32 years of buying cars and trucks. Have always owned GM or Mopar products in the past. Our Edge experience so far has been beyond our expectations.

:woohoo:

Wow it was #1 in 07? I thought it was like number five.

Anyway, with sales doubling Ford certainly must feel good about going away from such conservative styling (like the Taurus/X).

very good reason for that! because it was #5, until jumping to #1 last year :shades:

I think it will be up for some stiff competition in '08, but my prediction: it should come down to the Edge and new Highlander #1 and 2. just not sure which order yet. so far Edge has a slight um, edge :hyper:

It's not surprising that Edge sales are up strongly - a great many Chrysler Pacifica drivers and prospective owners abandoned by Chrysler's exit from the higher-end quality Crossover market have been looking at the Edge and MKX. As the 2004 Pacifica model leases expire, these customers return to Chrysler to be told by their dealers that there is no replacement product unless they are willing to go downmarket to lower end, boxy vehicles now being offered by Dodge (even the re-done Chrysler vans have a boxy look, much like the discontinued GM vans which must be really hurting Chrysler's van sales). My dealer remarked that although overall Dodge Chrysler sales are up at his dealership which is now focusing on entry-level, low-pricpoint vehicles like the base Dodge Journey and Caliber, he is unable to retain former Pacifica owners who are moving to either the Edge/MKX or Asian products since they don't see the boxy Chrysler products as anywhere near the quality or style of the discontinued Pacifica.

As a Pacifica owner looking for my next vehicle, the AWD Ford Edge/MKX look great and I'm glad my Chrysler dealer suggested I take a look - I'd miss the 3rd row seats when the kids friends need a lift, and on sub-zero days, I'm sure there would be complaints about the lack of 2nd row heated seats in the Edge which my older children love in the Pacifica on cold moring trips to school. My only other concern might be the nav system... once one has become familiar with the Pacifica's nav integrated into the speedometer which is easily viewed, it will be hard to start looking off to the side for navigation - perhalps Ford might consider moving the nav screen directly in front of the driver?

There's no question I'd buy an AWD Edge/MKX today if there was a hybrid model available which maintained the trailer towing capabilities of the regular Edge. With gas prices skyrocketing, long trips up to the cottage in the Pacifica are becoming very costly, so I'd bet Edge sales would truly skyrocket if Ford brings out the anticipated Hybrid Edge soon.

The MKX has second row heated seats available! No one's buns have to suffer.

Do you blame all those people for buying an Edge? It's a fantastic vehicle! I have had mine for 2 weeks (today). I see 6 to 8 truckloads of them every morning on the highway as I drive to work. (That is in a 20 minute period). I work in Burlington Ontario and the Edge is built in Oakville.

Dave :shift:

It's not surprising that Edge sales are up strongly - a great many Chrysler Pacifica drivers and prospective owners abandoned by Chrysler's exit from the higher-end quality Crossover market have been looking at the Edge and MKX. As the 2004 Pacifica model leases expire, these customers return to Chrysler to be told by their dealers that there is no replacement product unless they are willing to go downmarket to lower end, boxy vehicles now being offered by Dodge (even the re-done Chrysler vans have a boxy look, much like the discontinued GM vans which must be really hurting Chrysler's van sales). My dealer remarked that although overall Dodge Chrysler sales are up at his dealership which is now focusing on entry-level, low-pricpoint vehicles like the base Dodge Journey and Caliber, he is unable to retain former Pacifica owners who are moving to either the Edge/MKX or Asian products since they don't see the boxy Chrysler products as anywhere near the quality or style of the discontinued Pacifica.

As a Pacifica owner looking for my next vehicle, the AWD Ford Edge/MKX look great and I'm glad my Chrysler dealer suggested I take a look - I'd miss the 3rd row seats when the kids friends need a lift, and on sub-zero days, I'm sure there would be complaints about the lack of 2nd row heated seats in the Edge which my older children love in the Pacifica on cold moring trips to school. My only other concern might be the nav system... once one has become familiar with the Pacifica's nav integrated into the speedometer which is easily viewed, it will be hard to start looking off to the side for navigation - perhalps Ford might consider moving the nav screen directly in front of the driver?

There's no question I'd buy an AWD Edge/MKX today if there was a hybrid model available which maintained the trailer towing capabilities of the regular Edge. With gas prices skyrocketing, long trips up to the cottage in the Pacifica are becoming very costly, so I'd bet Edge sales would truly skyrocket if Ford brings out the anticipated Hybrid Edge soon.

Before you jump on the hybrid bandwagon you should consult Consumer Reports.They show that the only hybrids worth the increased cost are the Escape and Prius.In all the other cases you have to keep the car way over 5 years to even get close to recovering the increased cost in gas savings.

Before you jump on the hybrid bandwagon you should consult Consumer Reports.They show that the only hybrids worth the increased cost are the Escape and Prius.In all the other cases you have to keep the car way over 5 years to even get close to recovering the increased cost in gas savings.

my gf wanted to buy a new 2008 Highlander. then she said, hey I think I'll buy that Hybrid version, since they offer it and gas prices are killer.

then I did the math, even on 15,000 miles a year at $3.50 a gallon and with good financing (I think I assumed 5% which is what she ended up getting), she'd have to have the car 11+ years for it to pay for the extra expense). thanks but no thanks!

my gf wanted to buy a new 2008 Highlander. then she said, hey I think I'll buy that Hybrid version, since they offer it and gas prices are killer.

then I did the math, even on 15,000 miles a year at $3.50 a gallon and with good financing (I think I assumed 5% which is what she ended up getting), she'd have to have the car 11+ years for it to pay for the extra expense). thanks but no thanks!

You also must factor in the cost of replacing the batttries. I know the cost to replace them on the Escape is around $5,800 plus labor.