EXTENDED WARRENTY CATCH ?

sanche

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to this forum, but I have been reading for several months now. I'm glad its available.

My '08 AWD Limited just arrived at the dealer and am very excited.

The saleman also offered me a good deal on a 5/yr. 75k mi. bumber to bumper x-tended warrenty, HOWEVER, to get this fantastic price, he is asking for a copy of my wife's 2004 Toyota registration. This has a bad ring to it.

I have not paid for the car yet and I don't understand why they would need our other car's document.

Can anyone (salesperson incl.) explain why they would need this and what they will do w/ it if I agree.

Has anyone else been asked for this prior to delivery?

The dealer is well established, 20+ years in same location, the saleman has been there about 10 yrs.

Best Regards,

Sanche

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to this forum, but I have been reading for several months now. I'm glad its available.

My '08 AWD Limited just arrived at the dealer and am very excited.

The saleman also offered me a good deal on a 5/yr. 75k mi. bumber to bumper x-tended warrenty, HOWEVER, to get this fantastic price, he is asking for a copy of my wife's 2004 Toyota registration. This has a bad ring to it.

I have not paid for the car yet and I don't understand why they would need our other car's document.

Can anyone (salesperson incl.) explain why they would need this and what they will do w/ it if I agree.

Has anyone else been asked for this prior to delivery?

The dealer is well established, 20+ years in same location, the saleman has been there about 10 yrs.

Best Regards,

Sanche

Hi Sanche. :D There is absolutely no valid reason why the Dealer should need that information to give you an ESP Plan on a new Edge.

Are you sure the Dealer is not asking for the Toyota Registration so that you can qualify for an additional Incentive/Rebate as the owner of a Competitors vehicle? There is such an Incentive/Rebate available in some regions, and you would need to provide a copy of the Competitive vehicle registration to qualify.

I have a feeling this may be why they are asking for the Toyota registration. Ask the Salesman to explain exactly why he is requesting it.

If I am mistaken, and he actually is asking for it concerning an Extended Warranty, there is no known reason they should need it for Extended Warranty pricing, and no reason you should provide it.

Just as an FYI: Did you know that your Edge already has a 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty, and a 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty?

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Sanche. :D

Are you sure the Dealer is not asking for the Toyota Registration so that you can qualify for an additional Incentive/Rebate as the owner of a Competitors vehicle? There is such an Incentive/Rebate available in some regions, and you would need to provide a copy of the Competitive vehicle registration to qualify.

I have a feeling this may be why they are asking for the Toyota registration. Ask the Salesman to explain exactly why he is requesting it.

If I am mistaken, and he actually is asking for it concerning an Extended Warranty, there is no known reason they should need it for Extended Warranty pricing, and no reason you should provide it.

Just as an FYI: Did you know that your Edge already has a 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty, and a 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty?

Hello Beerchug,

It is aside from the rebate, which BTW $2000 :happy feet:

The salesman was very candid when I asked why he needed it, basically he said its for the great price ($120).

I am concidering it because I ordered the nav and the s/roof. The sync is also included but these "tech heavy" devices are only covered for 3 yrs/36K. My guess is, if there is an additional incentive (above $2k ?), he may be applying it to the ESP.

I figured let me try the forum to see if this is a common buying experience.

I have a nube question : Where is the "Submit Reply " button ????

Thankyou for the insight beerchug.

Hello Beerchug,

It is aside from the rebate, which BTW $2000 :happy feet:

The salesman was very candid when I asked why he needed it, basically he said its for the great price ($120).

I am concidering it because I ordered the nav and the s/roof. The sync is also included but these "tech heavy" devices are only covered for 3 yrs/36K. My guess is, if there is an additional incentive (above $2k ?), he may be applying it to the ESP.

I figured let me try the forum to see if this is a common buying experience.

I have a nube question : Where is the "Submit Reply " button ????

Thankyou for the insight beerchug.

Hi Sanche. Okay, let's try it this way: What is the name and ZIP Code of the Dealership you are purchasing from?

Please post back with that information, and we will double check some information.

In addition, is this extended service plan the "Ford ESP Plan"? Or is it some aftermarket, third party service plan? It makes a big difference.

And again, there is no known valid reason that they would need the registration for pricing on an extended service plan. I am not saying it is impossible that there is some sort of ESP Incentive tied to the make of another vehicle owned by the purchaser (sounds even stranger when it is spelled out), it would just be something not many of us have ever heard of, and awfully odd.

I can also add that $120 for an extra 2 years/39,000 miles on the Bumper to Bumper Warranty is a fantastic price. In fact, it is a price which is too good to be true. And you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true! Something just does not seem quite right here.

Let us know that info.

The "Add Reply" button is right next to the "Preview Post" button (if I understand your question correctly).

PS - My name is not beerchug. That is the name of a smiley icon (two little smileys clinking beer glasses together) which obviously did not show correctly when I added it to my post. My forum name is bbf2530, or bbf if you wish.

Edited by bbf2530

One thing to add to this from being a salesman and working in a Ford dealer would be that you can buy an ESP anytime. As long as your in the factory warrenty its the same price if you buy it now or later. Drive it for a few years and if it gives you any trouble then extend it. Why pay for something your not going to use for the next 3 years.

One thing to add to this from being a salesman and working in a Ford dealer would be that you can buy an ESP anytime. As long as your in the factory warrenty its the same price if you buy it now or later. Drive it for a few years and if it gives you any trouble then extend it. Why pay for something your not going to use for the next 3 years.

After 12/12, I believe the price of an ESP contract goes up $100 - check it out before you go over 12,000 miles or 12 months.

In fact, it is a price which is too good to be true. And you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true! Something just does not seem quite right here.

bbf2530,

Its a Ford ExtraCARE plan (basic + High Tech).

The zip is, 10570.

I'm a bit apprehensive, I probably will not give the reg. info.

Sorry for the mix-up of your name.

Sanche

bbf2530,

The zip is, 10570.

Sanche

Hi Sanche. :D Checked Incentives for your Region, and as you stated there is only the $2,000 "Retail Customer Cash" and no "Competitive Vehicle Owner" Incentive.

Really have no idea at this point why the Dealer is asking for the registration of your wifes Toyota. There should be no reason why it would affect the pricing for an Extended Service Plan.

I can tell you that "pickup150" is correct when he states that you have until the end of your 3 year/36,000 mile warranty to purchase an ESP.

Also, with all due respect to "Grey", there is no rule specifying that the price of an ESP goes up $100 after 1 year/12,000 miles. A Dealer may state that to pressure someone into purchasing the ESP with a new vehicle, but it is just a high pressure sales tactic.

Additionally, you do not have to purchase the ESP Plan at the same Dealership where you purchase your car. You can shop around and purchase the contract at the Dealership that offers the lowest price.

ESP pricing structure is similar to the pricing of the vehicle itself. The Dealer purchases a contract from Ford for a set price, and then resells it to you for a profit. And just like purchasing a new vehicle, the ESP price is negotiable. If the Dealer thinks you are an easy mark, they will overcharge you (just like a vehicle sale). If the Dealer thinks you will fall for the "We have to charge you an extra $100 after 1 year/12,000 miles", they will overcharge you.

Essentially, I am stumped as to this entire "Toyota registration for a $120 ESP Plan". The price seems abnormally low, so I just do not know what to make of it.

With the limited information at hand, all I can recommend is that you keep your eyes wide open during your negotiations and contract signing.

Please keep us updated.

Edited by bbf2530

Does anyone know what the price should be for a ESP plan for a 2008 Edge? Assuming a Limited that is loaded would be the most because it has the most things to go wrong, technology wise.

Clayton

Hi Clayton. :D Too complex a question to answer simply. There are various Plans that cover various components of the vehicle, so therefore are obviously priced quite differently.

The Plans are are also structured according to mileage and years of coverage desired. Way too many variables to give any sort of accurate estimate. Best bet is to research the various options, decide which Plan suits your needs the best, then shop around at various Dealers for the best price.

You can also do some online shopping to save time, effort and gas.

Also, with all due respect to "Grey", there is no rule specifying that the price of an ESP goes up $100 after 1 year/12,000 miles. A Dealer may state that to pressure someone into purchasing the ESP with a new vehicle, but it is just a high pressure sales tactic.

With all due respect to "bbf" - when I was promoting ESP to dealerships there was a surcharge of $100 after 12/12. Here is a quote from the Q&A section of FordESP.com--

Q. What time period do I have to make an ESP purchase and when does it go into effect?

A. You can purchase an ESP program anytime during the standard warranty period, which is 3-years or 36,000 miles on all Ford and Mercury products, 4-years or 50,000 miles for Lincoln products. A surcharge of $100.00 is added if the Plan is purchased after 12-months or 12,000 miles. Your Plan always starts with the original in-service date and with zero miles, regardless of when you purchase the Plan.

Some things have changed since I retired, but not that.

So my original caveat stands. The dealership must pay an additional $100 for the plan, and presumably they will pass that on to the buyer in the pricing. :shades:

With all due respect to "bbf" - when I was promoting ESP to dealerships there was a surcharge of $100 after 12/12. Here is a quote from the Q&A section of FordESP.com--

Q. What time period do I have to make an ESP purchase and when does it go into effect?

A. You can purchase an ESP program anytime during the standard warranty period, which is 3-years or 36,000 miles on all Ford and Mercury products, 4-years or 50,000 miles for Lincoln products. A surcharge of $100.00 is added if the Plan is purchased after 12-months or 12,000 miles. Your Plan always starts with the original in-service date and with zero miles, regardless of when you purchase the Plan.

Some things have changed since I retired, but not that.

So my original caveat stands. The dealership must pay an additional $100 for the plan, and presumably they will pass that on to the buyer in the pricing. :shades:

Hi Grey. :D With all due respect... :tease: (just kidding)

I have discovered that you are 100% correct, and I have been laboring under false pretenses for many a moon. I just called the Ford ESP Call Center, and when I explained the situation, the very nice girl told me the same thing you just did. $100 surcharge by Ford to the Dealership after the first 12months/12,000 miles.

Just goes to show that my wife is right and I don't have a clue! :hysterical:

On another note, the FordESP.com site you listed is not the official ESP website. It is just a sales site run by a Dealer named Broadway Ford Truck Sales Inc., of St. Louis Missouri. :shades:

For those interested, here is the official Ford ESP web address: LINK: Ford ESP Plans This site may be helpful to those interested in ESP Plan information, pricing and purchases, without the hassle of Dealing directly with a Dealership. It explains all of the various ESP Plans in detail, and you can actually work up pricing on a Plan you are interested in, or various Plans for comparison. Really quite handy.

Just a note to everyone: Keep in mind that this is "most likely" the MSRP pricing. So just use it as a baseline to try and get your best pricing from your local Dealerships. If your local Dealership cannot meet or beat the Ford Online price, then come back and buy it directly from Ford online. Remember, the ESP Plan pricing is negotiable, just like the price of your new car.

Thanks for straightening me out Grey.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 4 weeks later...

I said the EXACT thing to the finance guy when I was buying my Edge. said it's negotiable, and I'll just buy it later if I want. he looked at me like, damn you're pretty good... but still claimed it would be $400 higher later. I'm like, ya thanks but no thanks. told him nice try (LOL)

only thing I couldn't see past was the GAP insurance (not that I'd ever considered it necessary before). they quoted me $800 and after negotiating down from their "fleet" price of $500+ I ended up paying like 300 bucks. full replacement through my insurance company I'm sure would have been costly if they even offer it (no I don't have $tate Farm). they try to sell you "for the life of the vehicle" yadda yadda but I think that's just spin. who's filing a claim with their GAP insurance on a 5 or 6 year old car? still I couldn't say no.

Edited by bri719

For those interested, here is the official Ford ESP web address: LINK: Ford ESP Plans This site may be helpful to those interested in ESP Plan information, pricing and purchases, without the hassle of Dealing directly with a Dealership. It explains all of the various ESP Plans in detail, and you can actually work up pricing on a Plan you are interested in, or various Plans for comparison. Really quite handy.

remind me to buy it within the 12/12,000 then! thanks for the warning you just saved me $100!!

bbf2530,

The zip is, 10570.

Sanche

hi Sanche (noob) :) hit quote (at bottom right of the other person's post) then reply (bottom right again). type your reply below. don't edit or modify anything else... then hit Preview Post to see it then Add Reply to save it and make it seen.

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know if the same applies in Canada? We just signed a lease today, and will pick up the car tomorrow but have to let them know tomorrow morning if we want the Ford Maintenance Plan added. If I remember correctly, he was quoting $1500?

Hi jukikee. :D Can you be a little more specific. There are 16 posts before yours, and they do wander a bit.

There are Extended Warranties, which extend your New Car Warranty. They are the ESP Plan in the United States, FMPP Plus in Canada).

Then there are also Maintenance Plans (where regular maintenance is paid for). If you are planning on purchasing a Maintenance Plans, it would not make any sense to wait until later.

The Plans are different in Canada, so the rules may also be different.

Go to this site and browse the different plans available: LINK: Ford of Canada Extended Service Plans

There is also a Customer Relationship Center phone number listed on that site for questions concerning the Plans.

The Canadian Customer Relationship Center number is 1-800-565-3673. Give it a call and ask for more specific information.

Also, keep in mid that the pricing of Extended Warranties and Maintenance Plans is negotiable, just like the price of a new car is negotiable. And you do not have to buy the contract from the Dealer you purchase the vehicle from.. you can shop around at other Ford/Lincoln Dealers So do not accept the first offer. Insist on a lower price before you will sign a contract. Call other Dealers and ask for a price on the same Plan from them. In other words, negotiate your best price.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for your reply!

I'll be more clear. It's a Ford Maintenance Protection Plan, and they are offering it for $1350 up to 100,000.

Since I've only owned one car before now, and that was in Sweden, I have no idea what normal maintenance of a brand new car over four years would cost, so I'm having trouble knowing if this is a good deal or not. I also don't know whether or not to trust the wording:

"The following are covered, as required, due to failure caused by normal wear:"

ah, my head hurts just trying to get everything straight... with the insurance, with the warranty, with this... too many details....

Thanks for your reply!

I'll be more clear. It's a Ford Maintenance Protection Plan, and they are offering it for $1350 up to 100,000.

Since I've only owned one car before now, and that was in Sweden, I have no idea what normal maintenance of a brand new car over four years would cost, so I'm having trouble knowing if this is a good deal or not. I also don't know whether or not to trust the wording:

"The following are covered, as required, due to failure caused by normal wear:"

ah, my head hurts just trying to get everything straight... with the insurance, with the warranty, with this... too many details....

Hi jukikee. :D Well, this is my "educated opinion": First, you only mention miles. How many years is the Plan for? There are always time and mileage limits.

Next: If it is strictly an "Extended Maintenance" contract (oil changes, brake jobs, windshield wipers etc etc), but does not cover things like a broken transmission, blown engine, electrical problems etc., it is not worth it. That is too expensive. I would not purchase it.

If it is an "Extended Warranty", which extends your Bumper to Bumper Warranty (covering broken trans, blown engine, electrical problems etc etc.) to 100,000 miles, then it may be worth it, according to how many miles a year you put on your vehicle and how long the Plan is good for.

So before any of us can give a more detailed answer, we need to know what type of Plan it is and what it covers. Does it only cover routine maintenance or does it cover major component breakdowns. You also need to know that information before you can make an educated decision.

Post back and let us know the answers.

It's a four year lease, but the brochure says that the FMPP ends at 100,000 km or the selected time, whichever occurs first. It covers all scheduled maintenances, at $0 deductible, and includes 8 "wear items":

Brake pads and linings

Brake rotors

clutch disc

Engine belt and hoses

light bulbs

shock absorbers

spark plugs

Wiper blades

They mention a courtesy car as well in case the repairs take several days, but that seems to be for an additional fee.

So when I write it all down here it really doesn't seem worth it. Can light bulbs, hoses, and wiper blades add up to $1350??? Well, maybe with the maintenance fees??

I don't *think* we'll be driving the car A LOT, just to work and around town and a few longer trips in the year.

It's a four year lease, but the brochure says that the FMPP ends at 100,000 km or the selected time, whichever occurs first. It covers all scheduled maintenances, at $0 deductible, and includes 8 "wear items":

Brake pads and linings

Brake rotors

clutch disc

Engine belt and hoses

light bulbs

shock absorbers

spark plugs

Wiper blades

They mention a courtesy car as well in case the repairs take several days, but that seems to be for an additional fee.

So when I write it all down here it really doesn't seem worth it. Can light bulbs, hoses, and wiper blades add up to $1350??? Well, maybe with the maintenance fees??

I don't *think* we'll be driving the car A LOT, just to work and around town and a few longer trips in the year.

Hi jukikee. :D So, doing some basic math, if you drive about 10,000 km per year, in 4 years at the end of your Lease you will have driven approximately 40,000 km. That means you would have paid for 100,000 km of routine maintenance, but only received 40,000 km worth. Insert your own numbers, but unless you are going to drive close to 25,000 km per year, this is not worth it.

In all honesty, even if you do, the $1,350 entry fee seems high. As you stated, "Can light bulbs, hoses, and wiper blades add up to $1350???". Let's look at that statement. In four years, you will not normally need to replace any light bulbs and usually no hoses.

Wipers? Once or twice a year.

Two oil changes a year on average.

Coolant is good for longer than 4 years.

Brakes? Maybe one brake job if you are a bit hard on brakes.

Spark plugs? Good for 100,000 miles (not sure of km conversion, about 160,000?).

Clutch disc? Automatic transmission. Good for more than 4 years without high mileage or abuse.

Shocks? Same story. Good for more than 4 years without high mileage or abuse.

So you are paying $1,350 for what? 8 oil changes, 8 sets of wipers, maybe a brake job and another miscellaneous item or two.

Seems a bit pricey to me.

You need to examine your driving habits and decide what is best for you.

Again, the above is simply my educated opinion. Others may disagree, and I respect their right to have a differing opinion (as long as they also respect mine).

Whatever you decide, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

My advice is to save your money. When I bought my Lightning, the dealer tried to sell me all the way out the door & even offered to rewrite the contract at a lower interest rate if I took the warranty. That made things crystal clear. In the 10 years & 190,000 miles I owned it, I don't think I spent $2000.00 in repairs on it. Five years later, I still see it around town on occassion.

Look at it this way - even if you needed all those maintenance items - which you probably don't - would you rather pay for them all up front even though some you won't need for 3 years? Or would you rather pay for them at the time you need them, if and when you need them?

This is nothing more than an insurance policy, just like extended warranties. If it was really cheaper for you (on average) the people selling the plans would go out of business. Sure, you can get lucky on one or two vehicles, but in the long run (key word long) you're better off insuring yourself.

I haven't bought any extended warranties on anything for the last 15 years at least. I've probably saved between $6K and $8K by not buying them, and I've only had to spend a few hundred on repairs or replacements that would have been covered. Right now I'm several thousand dollars ahead and even if I had to replace an engine or transmission tomorrow - I'm still ahead.