G2 EDGE HOOD WRAP

Xtra

I have seen a couple different hood designs on G2 Edge's, and have been requested by 15FireSport to explain mine in detail.
The hood of my car is a Gloss Black Wrap, not paint. I can remove the wrap later and the paint will be like new underneath. Most hoods are done in a Satin Black, the idea being to reduce sun glare off the hood. I did mine in a gloss to match the glass roof.

That being said you do need to care of a wrap and several products are out there. You can use a product made for wraps or I use a spray detailer and a microfiber towel to protect mine and keep it looking great for years.
post-46130-0-14558000-1508116840_thumb.jpg
This is where it starts at the top. Right and left sides. I left the images full size to see better.
post-46130-0-84396300-1508117238_thumb.jpg
Edited by Xtra

I think that looks awesome! Ill be looking for someone to do that to mine very soon. That answered my questions about the wrap and thank you for posting the pics it is appreciated.

Wrapping is not that difficult to do yourself if you are half decent with your hands, especially flatter areas like a hood. You can save yourself quite a bit of $$ doing it yourself especially with the stuff available now like knifeless tape to make cutting risk free and precise. I did all my vinyl work myself and have probably spent less than $100 for the materials I've used. A 60" x 60" piece of vinyl (big enough to cover a hood) is about $40-$50, or a 24" x 60" piece is less than $20. It takes a bit of practice and time spent watching some technique vids. So far I've done my exhaust bezels, door handle inlays, rear hatch roof extension, and some hood accents.

I've seen Xtra's hood in person and it looks nice.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's funny, I was never really a big fan of the electric spice color, but that wrap design makes it look great, especially because you also did the top of the rear hatch spoiler, that bird's-eye pic the money shot! You had the side mirrors done too?

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1

Im going to try and take them off and get them wrapped. I think itll look better.

I'll do the wrapping for free if it's cheaper for you to just ship them to me and then back, I really don't mind, I enjoy doing it. The vinyl is only like $12 for a piece big enough for both. I did mine in gloss black and they still look just as good 10 months later. Get a couple of quotes and see how much they'd charge you, but I bet it's at least a $100 per side. Normally I think chrome exhaust tips look good, but not when it's the only chrome on the car, I hated it on mine and it's the first thing I wrapped.

Edited by roots57

I'll do the wrapping for free if it's cheaper for you to just ship them to me and then back, I really don't mind, I enjoy doing it. The vinyl is only like $12 for a piece big enough for both. I did mine in gloss black and they still look just as good 10 months later. Get a couple of quotes and see how much they'd charge you, but I bet it's at least a $100 per side. Normally I think chrome exhaust tips look good, but not when it's the only chrome on the car, I hated it on mine and it's the first thing I wrapped.

Cool! I’ll see what my place will do it for. Yeah, being the only two parts on the Sport that’s chrome just doesn’t seem to fit.

for sure, just let me know...what exactly did you do to your front Ford emblem?

I watched him just lay a piece of the 3M gloss black over the emblems and that was it. Obviously, he cut out the oval shape. On my emblems its raised lettering so when he smoothed out the vinyl you can still see the shadow of the Ford lettering. I can take a closer pic if you would like?

Roots57- I forgot to ask you if you Sport wheels are wrapped or is that a powder coated? Im thinking mine would look better with the gloss black instead of hyper grey.

Edited by 15FireSport

Yea sure, a closer pic would be great. If I ever have to replace mine, I don't want to spend $100 on another custom painted one, and if the vinyl looks good, I may just do that instead. And yes, my wheels are powder coated in black gloss. I was actually going to suggest that you do that too so that you can complete the color theme on yours. The shops around me in SoCal charge about $125-$150 per wheel to strip and powder coat them...just an FYI. Just don't have them sprayed in clear coat after. My clear coat is peeling off on two of mine so eventually I need to have them redone. I think it was from a really hot day when me and Xtra were carving up the canyon snake run. My brakes, and subsequently the wheels, got so hot that it actually caused the clear coat to delaminate. I also lost the two front center hub caps that day, which I think just melted right out of the hubs (they were just cheap ABS plastic Chinese ones from eBay). Powder coat comes out with a nice gloss finish anyways, so in hindsight I would have omitted the clear coat, had I known. Powder coat is a bake cure so it is more heat resistant than traditional paint.

Edited by roots57

Blacked out emblems

Yea that looks fine. If mine ever gets too beat up I'm just gona wrap it instead. While on the subject of Ford emblems, your wheels probably have blue FORD center hub caps right? I replaced mine with black ones that I got off eBay for like $15 for a set of 4. If you are interested I can forward you the link. There's all kinds of them available, you just have to make sure you get the right size ( 2.125" or 54mm is the diameter that fits).

Yea that looks fine. If mine ever gets too beat up I'm just gona wrap it instead. While on the subject of Ford emblems, your wheels probably have blue FORD center hub caps right? I replaced mine with black ones that I got off eBay for like $15 for a set of 4. If you are interested I can forward you the link. There's all kinds of them available, you just have to make sure you get the right size ( 2.125" or 54mm is the diameter that fits).

Yes, please forward me the link. Ive been thinking about what to do with them. Wrap them maybe.

Yes, please forward me the link. Ive been thinking about what to do with them. Wrap them maybe.

Here is one ad for the cheap $10 ABS Chinese version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-Ford-Black-Center-Caps-54mm-Hub-Caps-2-1-8-Inch-FITS-ALL-FORD-MODELS-/302500439229?hash=item466e6e64bd

Here are some better ones for $20 that actually ship from somewhere within the U.S., I'd recommend these, I'm buying these next time I need them, my current ones are already sun fading, ABS is the worst plastic for stuff that gets exposed to sunlight:

https://www.ebay.com/p/4pcs-lot-54mm-Blue-St-Car-Wheel-Hub-Center-for-Ford-Focus-2-3/803223552?iid=272886366730&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D7ec7a0455eb144d9bf97f7196543bb00%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D112601612764&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Just browse around eBay a bit too, there are countless ads for these hubs, just keep an eye on where they ship from and the size/color they are, some look black in the pic but say blue in the ad.

• Like 1

Here is one ad for the cheap $10 ABS Chinese version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-Ford-Black-Center-Caps-54mm-Hub-Caps-2-1-8-Inch-FITS-ALL-FORD-MODELS-/302500439229?hash=item466e6e64bd

Here are some better ones for $20 that actually ship from somewhere within the U.S., I'd recommend these, I'm buying these next time I need them, my current ones are already sun fading, ABS is the worst plastic for stuff that gets exposed to sunlight:

https://www.ebay.com/p/4pcs-lot-54mm-Blue-St-Car-Wheel-Hub-Center-for-Ford-Focus-2-3/803223552?iid=272886366730&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D7ec7a0455eb144d9bf97f7196543bb00%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D112601612764&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Just browse around eBay a bit too, there are countless ads for these hubs, just keep an eye on where they ship from and the size/color they are, some look black in the pic but say blue in the ad.

Awesome! Thank you