Do you like the 20" Ride and suspension?

rlassiter

I figure the 20 inch tires and sport suspension combo would be too stiff and firm. I have mild back problems and want to know if I should be concerned. On short demo rides it is hard to tell. I comute 2.5 hrs every day. Roads have more pot holes every year. Should I stick with 18" on my factory order? Does mpg change with the larger circumference?

MPG will be very slightly lower. As for the ride it will be firmer, because of the smaller side wall so little road imperfections will be felt more over the 18's, the handling will be sharper.

Stick with the 18's if you want the best ride. I like those new painted ones that used to be 17's last year, they look HOT.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

I figure the 20 inch tires and sport suspension combo would be too stiff and firm. I have mild back problems and want to know if I should be concerned. On short demo rides it is hard to tell. I comute 2.5 hrs every day. Roads have more pot holes every year. Should I stick with 18" on my factory order? Does mpg change with the larger circumference?

Have 20 inch wheels on our Edge and don't find it uncomfortable at all. Rides a heck of a lot nicer that the 2004 Saturn Vue we replaced which had 17 inchers.

We drove an MKX with 20" wheels and decided to stick with the 18" wheels on our Edge Limited order. The ride was less harsh than the MKX and the handling was about the same. If you plan on keeping the car long enough that you will have to replace the tires, you might want to consider the cost of tires in the decision making process. Initially, the cost of replacement 18" tires were more than the 20", as the 18" was a unique size. As aftermarket tires for the 18" size come on line, the cost will lower. At some point I would think that the 18" tires will be cheaper than the 20" tires, but that was not the case the last time I compared prices. Of course, the inital cost savings of the 18" vs the 20" is significant.

• 1 month later...

I test drove a MKX this past weekend with the 20" and found the ride to be just fine. I am picky too, I don't like a bumpy, thumpy ride and I felt the ride of the MKX with the 20" was great (for me).

Keep in mind, cost for tire replacement with the 20" will be higher...

I test drove a MKX this past weekend with the 20" and found the ride to be just fine. I am picky too, I don't like a bumpy, thumpy ride and I felt the ride of the MKX with the 20" was great (for me).

Keep in mind, cost for tire replacement with the 20" will be higher...

I test drove the 20's and they rode fine, but I went with the 18's.

Surprisingly - the 20" pirellis are actually cheaper than the 18" Michelins. Today at least. Not sure about treadwear - if the 20's don't have as much tread they'll need to be replaced more often and thus might cost more in the long run.

Not sure what others think of the 20" Pirellis tires, I am not a Pirelli fan -- had the P6's on my old Volvo S60 and they were junk. Apparently they were reformulated but I had 2 bad sets of P6's.

I am a Michelin guy - when I get the MKX I may see if I can get Michelins on the 20"s I have had great experiences with Michelins - you get what you pay for!!

Not sure what others think of the 20" Pirellis tires, I am not a Pirelli fan -- had the P6's on my old Volvo S60 and they were junk. Apparently they were reformulated but I had 2 bad sets of P6's.

I am a Michelin guy - when I get the MKX I may see if I can get Michelins on the 20"s I have had great experiences with Michelins - you get what you pay for!!

Ditto!

The ride of the 20s is fine. Still very soft. They are a fairly wide tire so the 50 series still provides alot of sidewall, plus the handling is improved over the 18s IMO. That being said, I upsized to 22s and still find the ride pretty decent. I was expecting much stiffer but it's not much different than my stock 20s.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like the 20" tire Edge, I LOVE it! My dad has an Edge AWD with 18" tires and I have an Edge AWD with 20". We both agree that the 20"er has a smoother ride. On the highway, I have a blast. I have back problems but they don't bother me while driving my Edge. However, if you drive on a road with a lot of pot holes, you're going to experience the bumps no matter what vehicle you drive.

In addition, we get the same gas mileage on the highway. I don't know why but we do. Maybe the only difference is with city mileage but he isn't on the city streets much so I can't give you an honest comparison.

You have to go with what you think is best for you though.

Sitting in Hotel room in Cleveland, OH. Just arrived after driving up here from South Carolina. 10 hours, a little over 600 miles. The rides on my 20 inch and Pirellis? INCREDIBLE!! I would not have imaged the ride being as nice as it was. Smooth roads, rough roads, rain storm and dry - PERFECT! No complaints here at all!

Michael

the 20" are great. I love them. The ride is really smooth. I've never driven them with the 18's. It drives smoother than my 2006 Freestyle Limited with 18"

I think its safe to say that the majority of the people that replied to this thread like the 20" wheel tire combo better. I definately do.

I'm riding on 275/40/20 mounted on the Boss 328 wheels. The ride is good and the stares are plenty!

Edited by FLASHedge