2007 CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE

While driving 2 weeks ago the car seemed unstable. I thought I had a flat, pulled over and nothing. Re-started the car and it seemed sluggish. The check engine light came on- and was flashing. I was able to drive between 20-30 with no real problem but didnt want to push it faster. My mechanic changed 3 coils (?) and the plugs. Same misfire came up. He then replaced the PCM with a rebuilt PCM- after it was put in and programmed lo and behold- same misfire. Any ideas?

You can get into a round robin with coils and PCM. If the PCM is replaced/repaired, it is good practice to replace ALL coils at the same time. Hopefully he used Ford/Motorcraft coils, those ARE expensive apiece but can be had in a kit for much cheaper. Have him check the resistance on the coil drivers on the PCM, see if anything is out of whack. Then go back in and replace injectors next. May need 1 injector for cylinder 3 OR more if misfires begin to show up elsewhere.

How many miles on your Edge BTW?

Definitely change all the plugs and AT LEAST the #3 coil. that mileage mirrors mine, and though I have never had a misfire, I think that should be sufficient, for now. Ideally, you would replace ALL the coils (there is a kit, pretty cheap) now to avoid misfires showing up later and having to pay the labor ... again ... and again ...

• Like 1