Existing milage on new car count against warranty?

cmoses

Does existing mileage on a new car count against the warranty mileage allowance or does the amount get applied to the end of the warranty?

Example: If I buy a new car with 400 miles on it, does that become the starting mileage and my warranty is added on to that? I get 3yr/36,400 miles or or does it stay the same 3yr/36,000 regardless of what is on there?

Clayton

Edited by cmoses

Does existing mileage on a new car count against the warranty mileage allowance or does the amount get applied to the end of the warranty?

Example: If I buy a new car with 400 miles on it, does that become the starting mileage and my warranty is added on to that? I get 3yr/36,400 miles or or does it stay the same 3yr/36,000 regardless of what is on there?

Clayton

Hi Clayton. :D Existing mileage is not added to the Warranty. The moment your odometer reads 36,001 miles, you are officially outside the "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty.

Well, 3 years/36,000 miles "Bumper to Bumper" for Ford/Mercury vehicles, 4 years/50,000 miles for Lincoln, regardless of how many miles are on the vehicle when you purchase.

Then you have your "Powertrain Warranty" for Ford/Mercury (5 years/60,000) and Lincoln (6 years/70,000).

If the Dealer or Salesman tells you that the mileage is added on, get them to put it in writing, because it is the Dealer warranting the vehicle for the extended mileage, not Ford.

Two questions. How many miles do you drive a year? Will you even drive 36,000 miles in three years?

But yes, if they drive it from another Dealership to yours, you "lose" that mileage. Or if you purchase a vehicle that has 500 miles on it, your Warranty is only good for another 35,500 miles.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi akirby! Oooops! Hey, so I transposed a few numbers! :banghead:

But even you didn't get it quite right though! The Lincoln Powertrain Warranty is 6 years/70,000. at least through 2008.

Guess, I am going to have to stop drinking during the day, :party: or brush up on my typing skills. :stats:

Well, typing classes it is!

And we will have to start drinking together!

Like my dear Grandpappy used to say, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!"

Thanks for the catch. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I have averaged about 15,000 a year on my current car. Now I do expect that to be less on this car due to less commute miles, but will be at least 12,000 a year. That is one of the reasons I am leaning to the MKX over the Edge, better warranty. Bumper to bumper 4yr/50K, Powertrain 6yr/70K. I tend to keep my vehicles for a while, just started my 8th year on current SUV.

I am not as really concerned that it has 400 miles on it as far as the warranty is concerned that is a tiny amount. My bigger concern is that they are test drive miles and you never know what those are like. Now being that it's a Lincoln MKX and not a Ford SVT Mustang, my bet is that they are pretty tame.

I am looking at one from a dealer about 10 miles away that will have about 400 miles on it when delivered. It has 240 on it and will need to be driven from another lot which is about 150 miles away. There is a similar model on another dealers lot about 19 miles away, that only has 21 miles on it. The down side is that dealer is further away to take it in for service and washing.

Clayton

I have averaged about 15,000 a year on my current car. Now I do expect that to be less on this car due to less commute miles, but will be at least 12,000 a year. That is one of the reasons I am leaning to the MKX over the Edge, better warranty. Bumper to bumper 4yr/50K, Powertrain 6yr/70K. I tend to keep my vehicles for a while, just started my 8th year on current SUV.

I am not as really concerned that it has 400 miles on it as far as the warranty is concerned that is a tiny amount. My bigger concern is that they are test drive miles and you never know what those are like. Now being that it's a Lincoln MKX and not a Ford SVT Mustang, my bet is that they are pretty tame.

I am looking at one from a dealer about 10 miles away that will have about 400 miles on it when delivered. It has 240 on it and will need to be driven from another lot which is about 150 miles away. There is a similar model on another dealers lot about 19 miles away, that only has 21 miles on it. The down side is that dealer is further away to take it in for service and washing.

Clayton

Hi Clayton. :D I can understand your concerns on the "test drive" miles. That is why I always Factory Order my new cars. But I know that is not an option available to everyone.

Well, I can think of a couple of quick options:

1 - Why can't your Dealer swap for the one that only has 21 miles on it?

2 - If they can not swap for that one (21 miles on it), purchase it at the Dealership that has it in stock now (19 miles away). You are not required to have your car serviced where you purchase (it does sometimes help though, even though technically it should not matter). You will lose the car washes, but I would not want my new baby put through a mechanical car wash anyway.

3 - Purchase the one that will have 400 miles on it, but use the extra mileage as leverage on a better price, or at least some extra oil changes, accessories, etc.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Good luck! :beerchug:

I cannot imagine that a Zone Manager would deny coverage at 36,250 miles if the OASIS showed that the vehicle was delivered with 251 miles, new to you. It happens so rarely, but dealers would know how to approach the subject with Ford. They can treat it as an after warranty adjustment and not even raise a fuss (unless they remember you as someone that burned them on a survey.) :finger:

A lot of customers wait until the last mile or last day to bring their vehicle in with a list of issues that could have been handled at regular oil change visits. Just human nature, I guess. :shades:

But even you didn't get it quite right though! The Lincoln Powertrain Warranty is 6 years/70,000. at least through 2008.

Aaarrggghhh!!!! And I was looking right at the web page when I typed it.

Did someone else have a 7/70K powertrain warranty at some point? Dodge?

Aaarrggghhh!!!! And I was looking right at the web page when I typed it.

Did someone else have a 7/70K powertrain warranty at some point? Dodge?

Hi akirby. :D Hey what can we do? It happens sometimes (more often as I get older, it seems)! :hysterical:

You are correct. A quick Google found Dodge does/did have a 7 year/70,000 mile Powertrain Warranty that could be transferred to a new owner. Seems they began that coverage in 2002. Not sure if they still do.

For a short time before that, they offered a 7 year/100,000 that could not be transferred.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530