Vista roof problems

I have had my 2007 sel+ AWD since April 2007, and have 17,000 kms on it. With the recent nice weather decided to open the vista roof, no problem. However, when I went to close it, the roof would close to about 6 inches, stop and start to open again 1/2 way. Tried to close again and it got to the 6 inch area and died. Had to reopen and try to close, and would only close if I put my hand on the glass to help it move ahead. Then a week later it worked fine...nothing. Then just a few days ago it was super warm out and opened the roof and same problem to close it. I have not used it since. I also notice from the outside that the back part of the glass doesen't seem to be totally flush anymore. Has anyone one else had any problems? Also, I have a burning smell, almost like sticking brakes, and it seems to only be happening to the front passenger side.....the brakes are ok, but it smells and gets hot after driving for awhile. Can't seem to find a problem. Any one have this problem either? :sos:

Edited by toe6

• 9 months later...
I have had my 2007 sel+ AWD since April 2007, and have 17,000 kms on it. With the recent nice weather decided to open the vista roof, no problem. However, when I went to close it, the roof would close to about 6 inches, stop and start to open again 1/2 way. Tried to close again and it got to the 6 inch area and died. Had to reopen and try to close, and would only close if I put my hand on the glass to help it move ahead. Then a week later it worked fine...nothing. Then just a few days ago it was super warm out and opened the roof and same problem to close it. I have not used it since. I also notice from the outside that the back part of the glass doesen't seem to be totally flush anymore. Has anyone one else had any problems? Also, I have a burning smell, almost like sticking brakes, and it seems to only be happening to the front passenger side.....the brakes are ok, but it smells and gets hot after driving for awhile. Can't seem to find a problem. Any one have this problem either? :sos:

I got my '07 Edge in April '07 and after a few months of owning my new vehicle I had a similar issue.

I openened the vista roof for my drive in to work to enjoy the beautiful morning air and sun. When I got to work, the roof would close 80% of the way then stop. If I pressed the button again, nothing would happen, then it wouldn't open again. I tried for a bit but was afraid to burn something out so I drove it directly to the dealership for repair.

Within 1 hour, I got a call stating that it was fixed. It ended up being a lack of lubrication (or at least that's what they told me). They lubed up both sides of the track and all was good. Seems like this was overlooked at the factory.

It's been fine since then...and I use my Vista roof regularly during the warm months. Hope this helps someone else.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Had same issue to my 07 Edge. Took it to dealer and was told the sensor for the roof had to be recalibrated.

All is fine now. Covered under warrenaty.

3 months later the roof got stuck once more...closed 80% of the way. Took it back again into service. This time the dealership kept it for 4 days. They replace the side rails on the roof. I was told the metal rails would expand and contract with temperature change. I keep my Edge in the garage which is mostly cool on summer days...then driven out into hot outdoors. Covered under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a 2010 Ford Edge and I have not used my Vista Roof much over the last 2 years, maybe 25 times, and I am having the same problem other are having. It opens just fine, but when it closes it has been getting slower, until it comes to a stop about 8 inches short of being closed, (just like other edge owners are saying thier edge is doing) then I have to help push it to get it to fully close. I hear people say its the track, or lack of lube in the track, or dirt in the track, but I think it is a defective motor. If it was something with the track I would think that it would stick in the same spot when you open it. Whatever the problem is Ford should do what is right and issue a recall. Come one the car cost a lot of money for this to only work 20 times before breaking. I would even be happy to see Ford tell all of us what the cause is so we know that they have a solution for the problem. Right now I feel that I need to spend $318.00 to buy a new motor, but if I am right I would just be taking out one defective motor and replacing it with another that will break after 20 or so uses.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 Ltmd with the Panoramic roof. Only have 25k on the car- for a long time the panoramic Sunroof worked ok but upon closing was getting increasingly sluggish like the motor was straining or there was a low battery (which def was NOT the case) I finally got around to bringing the car to Ford service for another problem ( bad door latch sensor which gives faulty indication- It will need a new latch and they are back ordered.) see posts under door open warning/latch,etc)- Anyway- I told them to check out the sunroof . I figured they would just clean the tracks /lube,etc.. They did try that - but found it didn't help. Then they took the glass out and found that rear sliders were missing ...whaaaaa? I don't know whether they fell out or were never installed properly to begin with? - the p/n they gave are: 7T4Z*78502M78*A (SLIDE) and *B for other side. The sunroof never worked as good as it does now. What with the gizmos in this rig, maybe I should shop for a x tended warranty. ugh...

Interesting, I am having the exact same issue at the moment. I have a 2011 SEL, only 27km on the car. The dealer tried to lube the track, but it did not fix the problem. It is still on warranty, so I am bringing it back next tuesday for them to dismantle it and see whats wrong with it. We'll see what they say......

Update, my Edge was in the dealer yesterday, supposedly to disassemble the roof and figure out the issue. They have fixed the issue but according to them they only cleaned and lubed the sliders. The roof is working fine now. I am really not sure if they replaced things without telling me or if this will solve the issue in the long run.

An interesting fact is that they quoted that to confirm the roof is operating properly it must close in under 8 second. Good to know if anyone is unsure if the roof is too slow or need to be lubed.

• 2 years later...
Just picked up my 2015 Edge a few days ago. The motor is struggling to close the vista roof.

Has anyone had success with a new motor?

Had my dealership's service manager check another vehicle with a vista roof. That sounded much smoother compared to mine.

Told me to come back in two days.

This time he tells me oiling and greasing didn't help much. But apparently another edge on thier lot is worse than mine!

Don't think i trust them after reading these forums

Mine has been working fine after being lubricated for the last two year, but i did have to go to the dealer twice for them to lubricate the right parts and fix it. (sadly, I don't know what they did different the second time that worked.) It went from not closing at all and being told I needed a new motor, to working for the last 2 years.

I have another post that describes the reset procedure which you could also try ( Sunroof Initialization) And somebody posted somewhere else how to lubricate the roof yourself.

Bottom line is: your roof must be able to close within a certain amount of time. If it closes within 8 seconds, then it is fine, longer than that and I would recommend lubricating the rails.

(But if your Edge is still under warranty, then there isn't any arm in getting the dealer to replace the motor.....)

Edited by youri631