found my first "real" complaint

bulldog

found my first flaw on my Edge. (actually 2) the first: on the A-piller on driver side of vehicle, there is a flaw. looks like the metal wasn't sanded smooth, or something was on the vehicle when painted. it's only on the driver side so i know it's not supposed to be there. example: looks like a wall that's been painted with a nail head sticking out just a little, then painted over.

would this be a warranty'd item? since i apparently didn't catch it before i bought it. i've had it since Mar. 1st and have hand washed it a number of times, but this was the first time i've seen it.

2nd flaw: not really a flaw but if you have NO garage like myself you'll see my problem. the little rubber on the outside of the doors at the bottom of the window (i don't think it's actually rubber) get's dinged pretty easily. we had a hail storm couple of weeks ago and after thorough <sp> examination the body looked perfect. then today i noticed LOT's of little dings. all 4 rubbers have this on them.

on a brighter note, when the black Edge's are washed and dried they sure look HOT!!!!!

Paint defects are definitely covered by the warranty, as long as its not external damage. The question then becomes how badly do you want it fixed - sometimes the repair can be worse than the original problem.

it is rare.. but we will agree on this one

I decided, after the following event, to let the numerous 'small' but findable imperfections slide... I am not happy with them, but 1-b-1 they are minor while collectively they are bogus and not acceptable. I suspect to the average person, they will never see these imperfections I see as I baby a new car and wash every square inch of it, which I have noted elsewhere, in the paint. Essentially, I find the paint job one of the worst I have ever seen. no doubt.

Anyway.. here is why I decided to live with it.. When I took delivery, my front bumper had a good size nick UNDER the paint and on lip edge of the hood literally had no paint in one 1/2 inch area, just exposed metal! clearly, it was dinged at factory prior to painting and the hood.. well, who knows how that happened - robots just missed it or something. So, we agreed they would fix. I took it in for the fix and it all went south from there. bad and quick. first, I have a tricky 4 stage paint - the White Tri Coat. So, that is very hard to match versus a flat color like the red, black, gray, etc. And when they masked off the hood to paint and blend that lip, the over spary left a line right where the tape was.. so I had a tape line at certain angles in the sun. Plain as day. And, on the bumper, they miss matched and painted it Creme Brulee looking AND added other little damage - looks like they dragged the bumper across the ground and ground up the edge - where there were none before. And, if all that is not bad enough.. they scratched the paint in the door sill getting in and out of the car..

It turned into the biggest farce. The dealer is just not setup to do competent high quality body work and painting matching. I was stunned.. and pissed

anyway.. in the end.. they got me a brand new bumper from factory and had it sent out to a high end local paint shop. plus the shop had to fix the door sill the dealer scratched AND they had to put on a brand new hood off a new Tri Coat on the lot - just to make sure the paint matched versus painting my whole hood. So.. 8 days later, thousands of extra dollars on their shoulders, a bunch of stress on mine.. I decided these little minor paint over-sprays, dirt, blemishes, etc.. I could live with as the cure was worse than the ailment and I was not willing to do it all again.

so keep this in mind

Edited by Lex Talionis

tiny paint imperfection on my Redfire (roughly the size of the head of a pin) on my rear bumper where the top (flat) part meets the vertical face.

decided to point it out to dealer, only to the point where they'll give me some touch up paint so I can try to make sure nothing underneath shows. there were also three scratches , one on front passenger door right side I never saw, dealer told me about it after I complained about the ones on the rear quarter panel and longer one on liftgate right below window, on that angled lip above the license plate. all but one on the rear quarter buffed out by hand (by the dealer). the other one they had to open a work order during the sale to have it buffed out professionally.

all but the minor defect most likely occurred during transport I'm guessing.

tiny paint imperfection on my Redfire (roughly the size of the head of a pin) on my rear bumper where the top (flat) part meets the vertical face.

decided to point it out to dealer, only to the point where they'll give me some touch up paint so I can try to make sure nothing underneath shows. there were also three scratches , one on front passenger door right side I never saw, dealer told me about it after I complained about the ones on the rear quarter panel and longer one on liftgate right below window, on that angled lip above the license plate. all but one on the rear quarter buffed out by hand (by the dealer). the other one they had to open a work order during the sale to have it buffed out professionally.

all but the minor defect most likely occurred during transport I'm guessing.

Are you sure it's not rail dust? That's common and can be removed with a clay bar.

• 2 months later...

Paint imperfections are a tough call. If it's major, of course it has to be fixed.

However, if it's minor, I'm usually of the mind it should be left alone.

Mis-matches, paint lines, changes in metallic, etc... You can take a really small issue and it grows to an entire panel in no time.

-Larry