Limited verses SEL

djust

Can't find a limited blazing copper edge and the dealer is trying to get me in an sel.

He says there is no differenc in the interior and the only difference on the outside is the 20" wheel option.

My wife wants a limited but she might have to wait until 09 and maybe there will be better wheel options.

I a not going to spend $30,000 plus on a vehicle that isn't just like I want.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the two.

interior styling?

exterior badging?

option difference?

Thanks for the info.

Can't find a limited blazing copper edge and the dealer is trying to get me in an sel.

He says there is no differenc in the interior and the only difference on the outside is the 20" wheel option.

My wife wants a limited but she might have to wait until 09 and maybe there will be better wheel options.

I a not going to spend $30,000 plus on a vehicle that isn't just like I want.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the two.

interior styling?

exterior badging?

option difference?

Thanks for the info.

Hi djust. Comparing a base Limited to a base SEL, there are many more differences than just the wheels. In fact, too many to try and type in here. You salesman is just trying to get you to take what they have so you don't go elsewhere. That is what salesmen do.

Try this link: LINK: Ford Edge. Click on the "View All" tab near the top, then you can simply scroll down the list to compare the differences in equipment between the Limited and SEL.

Of course, if you Factory Order (or get lucky and your Dealer can find exactly what you want at another Dealership) you can build up an SEL with optional equipment to come close to a Limited (some equipment not available on the SEL)), but it seems you prefer to find one in stock.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

I don't think the premium seating and seating flexibility package can be had together on the SEL - it's one or the other.

holly cow.. twice in 1 week we agree.. what is the world coming to :)

to add to this, from older thread, but pretty complete on same question here, but the gist is:

From my research, there are 4 things you get in the Limited that do not come on SEL...

1 - you get the Limited badge on the rear

2 - you get the 'nicer' chrome clad wheels

3 - the 'beltline molding' (the trim piece under the length of the side windows) is chrome on the Limited and black on SEL

4 - you can do both Premium Package and the Seating Flexibility Package

Thanks for the info I want a limited but blazing copper is hard to come by with the options I want.

And the wheels are still an issue.

Hi djust. :D Have you thought about Factory Ordering exactly what you would like, instead of purchasing from Inventory?

In addition, you may/should be able to negotiate with the Dealer to swap the wheels for the SEL wheels, if you do not care for the 20" wheels (as "lex talionis" did).

If you have the time to wait for an order (figure 6-8 weeks), it is an option.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi djust. :D Okay, since it seems to be a little confusing, let's try it this way. The following are standard features on the Edge Limited which are optional on the Edge SEL (as copied and pasted directly from the Ford website). Of course, there may have been subsequent changes which the website does not reflect, but this information is mostly accurate:

1 - Front seating: Leather-trimmed seating surfaces with contrast stitching (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package or part of Seating Flexibility Package).

2 - Front seating: Six-way power passenger seat with fold-flat front-passenger seat back (available on SEL as part of optional Seating Flexibility Package).

3 - Front seating: Heated (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

4 - Front seating: Driver seat memory (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

5 - Rear seating: Leather-trimmed seating surfaces with contrast stitching (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package or part of Seating Flexibility Package).

6 - Premium Package: Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Controls, leather-trimmed seating surfaces, heated front seats with driver-side memory feature, power heated exterior mirrors with memory features, particulate air filter, and security approach lamps.

7 - Seating Flexibility Package: Leather-trimmed front and rear seating surfaces, 6-way power passenger seat, front row passenger fold-flat seat-back, EasyFold™ remote second row seat back release.

8 - Air conditioning: Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Controls (available in SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

9 - Particulate air filter (available in SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

10 - SYNC voice-activated, hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system.

11 - Audiophile® Sound System with nine speakers.

12 - Auxiliary climate controls on steering wheel (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package). I actually think these were eliminated with the introduction of SYNC.

13 - Heat and memory features on power exterior mirrors (available on SEL with optional Premium Package).

14 - Universal garage door opener (optional on SEL as part of the Premium Package).

15 - Premium Package: Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Controls, leather-trimmed seating surfaces, heated front seats with driver-side memory features, power heated exterior mirrors with memory features, particulate air filter, security approach lamps, universal garage door opener.

16 - 18-inch premium chrome-clad aluminum wheels with P245/60R18 black sidewall all-season tires

17 - 20-inch premium chrome-clad aluminum wheels with sport-tuned suspension and P245/50R20 BSW all-season tires. These wheels are an option on the Limited, but not available from the factory on the SEL at all.

18 - Reverse Sensing System

As you can see by numbers 7 (Seating Flexibility Package) & 15 (Premium Package), these two packages add most of the missing options to the SEL. The problem is, it seems you can not get both option packages on the SEL. So you need to choose one or the other.

Otherwise, you can option out an SEL close to a Limited. Add in the interior/exterior badging changes (Limited vs. SEL), and some minor interior/exterior trim changes (i.e. chrome beltline trim on the Limited), and that pretty much covers the major and minor differences.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by bbf2530

Wow yuo guys are great and very informative.

I have thought about ordering a new one the only problem is that the dealer may or may not have an SEL with the optional 18" premium wheels when

mine shows up.

Timing seems to be everything.

I have been searching everywhere online and can not find any information about the 2009 edge's except for the sport model.

Were only a few months away from the 09's showing up and maybe ford has realized how limited customers are with the wheel options.

Anyone know of a site that gives info about the 09's.

Thanks

Thanks for the info I want a limited but blazing copper is hard to come by with the options I want.

And the wheels are still an issue.

did they check other dealers for you? have you checked Ford Direct yourself (kind of a pain but once you get the hang of it, is easy)

I wanted a Red SEL but was very specific about options I was looking for including charcoal leather and the Audiophile, with the 18" Painted Aluminum rims, two of the harder options to find on SEL. the first thing the salesman (fleet sales) did was check other dealers for anything remotely CLOSE to what I was looking for. he came up with one vehicle that was at least in the ballpark and printed it out for me, but it had a few things I did not want/need like tow package. and missing 1 or 2 others. so he just went ahead and ordered the vehicle and BAM 5 weeks later I was stylin'

sounds like this guy didn't even want to check other dealers for you - the basic minimum. I bet being EOM (April 30th) all he cared about was selling one on the lot TODAY so he could hit his number. I dealt with 2 other dealerships somewhat like this (ok not that bad, just not helpful enough in my estimation). walk away and find a better one :)

Edited by bri719

I have thought about ordering a new one the only problem is that the dealer may or may not have an SEL with the optional 18" premium wheels when

mine shows up.

I have been searching everywhere online and can not find any information about the 2009 edge's except for the sport model.

Were only a few months away from the 09's showing up and maybe ford has realized how limited customers are with the wheel options.

Thanks

I don't know exact timings or anything, but would you want to wait a minimum of 4 months (perhaps longer) for an '09 which will likely only have a few cosmetic differences? just asking.

I mean you can have an '08 ordered by any dealer, built to your liking and in your hands within 6 weeks. trust me...

by the way if you are loading it up with options don't get an SEL. it'll come out to the same price as a base Limited, I also say this from experience because I had the options you see below and it came out only like 1000 less. but that was fine with me since I didn't want to pay the extra thou + tax and interest (I financed most of the vehicle cost) for stuff I didn't need or desire. as others have mentioned, any respectable dealer will let you swap to a different wheel no problem.

Edited by bri719

mine shows up.

Thanks

did you try this tool? you can search all the dealers for EXACT car in their inventory in your area (or any area really).

I actually have about 3 different dealers looking for the one I want but there isn't anything out there right now within the surrounding states.

I might have to go ahead and order one and just hope the dealer I use has an SEL on the lot with the right wheels.

I actually have about 3 different dealers looking for the one I want but there isn't anything out there right now within the surrounding states.

I might have to go ahead and order one and just hope the dealer I use has an SEL on the lot with the right wheels.

Hi djust. :D Have you already negotiated the wheel swap with the Dealer? If you have not, you should do this before you order, as you should have the swap written in stone in the Purchase Contract. As the old saying goes, "Always get it in writing".

In addition, even if the Dealer does not have an SEL in stock when yours arrives (unless it is a very small Dealership, they will likely have one), all they need do is order a set of SEL wheels. If you have the swap in the contract as a condition of purchase, that is what they will need to do.

But again, get the "wheel swap" in writing when you sign the Purchase Order.

Edited by bbf2530