2017 Edge Titanium 2.0 - thud noise in reverse while turning wheels

My wife and I purchased a 2017 Edge Titanium 2.0 AWD a few months ago. It had about 19,000 miles at the time of purchase and now has about 21,000 miles. Starting a few weeks after purchase, it would occasionally make a "thud" or "clunk" noise a few seconds after reversing when you start turning the steering wheel (such as backing out of a driveway or parking space). The first time it happened we thought we ran over something. It's not a violent jerk--a moderate thud is probably the best description.

It only happened occasionally, but the last week or so it has been happening more frequently. Tonight as I was backing out of our driveway it made the thud twice during the same turn. When we back out of our driveway we are always turning the wheel counterclockwise, but I am not sure if that makes a difference when the thud occurs. We've tried to recreate it a couple times when I was standing outside listening, but unfortunately it always seems to happen when we're not expecting it so I haven't been able to pinpoint where exactly it sounds like it is coming from. But when inside the vehicle, it feels like it is coming form the rear. Has anyone had this issue before, and do you know what may be causing it?

Edited by mustang84

First thought would be the rear differential/axle shaft binding. Go to an open parking lot, put it in reverse and turn the wheel sharply. Try it in both directions. When you turn the wheel counter clockwise the right rear wheel will be traveling faster than the left rear. If it only happens in one direction I would suspect the outside wheel shaft and/or differential.

• Like 1

First thought would be the rear differential/axle shaft binding. Go to an open parking lot, put it in reverse and turn the wheel sharply. Try it in both directions. When you turn the wheel counter clockwise the right rear wheel will be traveling faster than the left rear. If it only happens in one direction I would suspect the outside wheel shaft and/or differential.

Thanks for the info. I didn't get a chance to look into it tonight, but hopefully in the next few days I can take it out and test to see if I can recreate it.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have a 2017 Lincoln MKX which I bought new and it has the AWD. I am quite sure the design is the same for both the Edge and the MKX. My car thus far made about 12 of these clunks so far and I have 20,000 miles on the car and just over a year of driving. When I back up about 5 to 10 feet, you sometimes get that clang. First time I noticed the clunk was at 15,000 miles.

I researched it and find that it is a also a common issue with many manufactures other than Ford for AWD vehicles. It appears that the noise is when the friction disks which engage and lock when you are going forward so more power is directed to the rear axle. When you back up, it unwinds the driveline and then it released locking device then the gears in the rear axle clang, only once. There seems to be no answer to the issue and is a common issue for many different manufactures.

I am planning to live with the issue since it is near impossible to duplicate at the dealership and seems like it is an inherent characteristic of AWD vehicles.

Are you still having the issue or did you get it resolved?

I am also in Iowa.

• 1 month later...