Was Someone In Atlanta Looking For An AWD Edge?

Former Ford ZM

I can't recall exactly, but wasn't someone on here saying they could find a dealer in Atlanta that wanted to stock an AWD Edge? I'm curious if that person is still around here. Thanks.

It might have been me. I was looking for an AWD SEL Plus. However, I have ruled out the edge due to it's braking problems. Until Ford gets it to stop in under 130ft, I will not spend $3X,000 on one of these...

• 2 weeks later...
Have you driven one and done braking in Atlanta traffic at all yet?

Yes, I have test driven three different FWD models. I discussed the issue at length with the last salesman at the last dealer I visited. He let me do a 45mph panic stop and is was down right scary how long it took to stop from only 45mph. It measured about 120ft from ONLY 45mph! Obviously, the extra weight of the AWD will only make the braking worse.

Based on my personal experiance and published test results from several reliable sources, I could not justify buying a $3X,000 with such an obvious design flaw. I realise that many people will not consider this a deal breaker because they feel like the brakes are good enough for normal driving. However, since it only has to become a issue ONCE to cause me major problems, I will pass on the Edge. I see no good reason to significantly increase my chances of being involved in an accident because of unusually long braking distances on any 2007+ model vehicle...

I agree, Bob.

This gentleman has posted several times how he has passed on the Edge due to his opinion of the braking situation. I have driven sports cars and large trucks, and every vehicle has its own braking restraints. It is the driver's job to know what he is driving. I agree that the Edge doesn't stop like a $70,000 BMW, but it is in reality a $30,000+ crossover. I continue to be surprised at the difference between some folks expectations and what comes in a 4,000 pound package with a smooth and quiet ride. It is nothing like my son's Mustang, and I am tickled that it's not.

Dan

I'm not defending the braking distance, however if you drove a brand new Edge off the lot for your brake test, that car did not have a chance for the brakes to "bed in" or "break in", so the distance would be longer. After a few hundred miles, the braking distance would be shorter.

I like performance based cars and have owned several including my current 500+hp supercharged 2005 Mustang GT. I have also upgraded the brakes on many of these vehicles. I know quite a lot about how these systems work and perform. The vehicle I did the test in only had about 82 miles on it when we did the test so I agree that after a little more wear in time things might get better. However, given the vehicles behaviour during my simple ( and certianly unscientific test ), I doubt it is going to improve much. The front end dives sharply during hard braking. I suspect ( I said suspect ) that undesirable rear to front weight transfer and agressive ABS tuning is the reason why everyone is seeing the unusually long braking distances. Proper pad wear in won't do much to fix this type of problem. Usually you have to alter the front ( and somtimes rear) suspension to solve this particular braking gremlin. I also do not think that Ford's choice of tire is helping things either...

I recently had a 400hp 2000 model F150 Extended cab truck. It weighed in about 200 or so pounds more than the Edge and could stop from 60 in probably 20ft less with it's stock brakes than the lighter Edge. I bring this up due to my primary concern. I tow a boat with my truck/suv vechicles. I can only guess at how bad this thing would stop with a 2800lb boat pushing it? I suspect that brake wear while towing will be excessive with this vehicle and the rotors will be prone to warping or dishing...

Now if a SEL or SEL Plus was about 5K less expensive I could excuse the deficiency and justify buying one and simply upgrading the brakes/suspension for safety. However, since several excellent alternatives exist with similar smooth quite ride for more or less the same price, you begin to see why I find this a deal breaker. According to many published tests, the class leaders can stop in 20-30ft less...

I drive about 25-30k miles a year in and around Atlanta primarly on the I285/I75/I85/I120 freeways. Unfortunately for me, there are times that no amount of safe driving can prevent me from having to do a full panic stop. Most recently a ladder fell of a truck in front of me. surrounding traffic made it impossibe to manouver around it, so testing the ABS was my only alternative. I stopped before I hit it. ( the guy behind me almost hit me ) A fellow in a RED Silverado was not so lucky. In a typical year, I probably have to test the ABS four or five times. It is simply a matter of number of miles driven and some of the worst high speed traffic in the world.

Now if I rarely drove in such traffic and did not tow with my SUV, I would probably not be so concerned about the brakes. Thankfully, most people will never have to test the brakes in such situations and will most likely never have a problem with the Edge's brakes. However, I know beyond any doubt I will have to test the braking limits of any vehicle that I drive daily.

Like I have said in the past, I basically like the Edge and would probably buy one if it were not for the brakes. Given it's 5 star crash rating, It is certianly a safe vehicle in a crash which is obviously importaint to me. I simply want a little better odds of avoiding the crash to start with....

Now if some of you want to fault me instead of Ford, that is certianly your right to do so.

And now, I'll get off my soap box and bow out of this thread...

• 6 months later...

I got to wonder why a guy who has said a number of times "he ain't going to - no way - no how.. buy an EDGE" is hanging around in a EDGE forum and talking about what a shit box it is.....OK.... You ain't buying one... Now who are you trying to convince.. us or yourself?................... :shift: ...........Sr..

Edited by edgesenior

Yeah....you need all that freakin' horsepower to get around Atlanta....what, you trying to drive 100+ mph on the beltway? I bet you're one of those that tailgate if someone is going "too slow" in front of you...i.e. somewhere near the speed limit.....Wait, this just in.....the Edge doesn't want YOU.....

The brakes work fine. Built for a smooth quit ride... not performance or towing much weight. Should have electric brakes on both sides of that trailer to be safe in any vehicle with 2k+ lbs being towed. My advise... buy a truck. GL!

stopping distance chart

Highway code data & info

stopping_distance_chart.jpg

007 has apparently never experienced ATL and 285. 100 mph is nothing!

The brakes work fine. Built for a smooth quit ride... not performance or towing much weight. Should have electric brakes on both sides of that trailer to be safe in any vehicle with 2k+ lbs being towed. My advise... buy a truck. GL!

stopping distance chart

Highway code data & info

stopping_distance_chart.jpg

007 has apparently never experienced ATL and 285. 100 mph is nothing!

First of all, I did buy a 2007 AWD SEL+ Edge recently. I got a really good deal on a Demo with 800 miles on it + a Ford 75,000 mile extended warrantee.

Second, I would really love to have an F150 again, but my company auto rembursment plan does not allow pickup trucks ( yea, I think it is stupid too ). I do not want to give up about $600/Month...

I will upgrade the brakes. They are ok in almost all situations, but certianly can be improved on with little cost. I do not know why, but the AWD seems to have differnet pads and or rotors and seems to stop a little better? I will probably swap the pads and install SS brake lines, and replace the factory shocks, but first I want to do a base line test and I have not had the chance to do so. I have little doubt that I can get the Edge hauled down from 60mph is 125ft or less without having to replace the entire braking system.