Mounting a Garmin Nuvi in an MKX?

I just picked up an '08 MKX, and opted for one without Nav and kept my Garmin Nuvi 350 instead.

In my old Explorer, I hacked together a mount from on old suction cup mount and some PVC piping. It fits in the cupholder. It does the job, but I would like to do something a bit more aesthetically pleasing for my MKX.

Has anyone done a project like this before and have suggestions? Or, are there any commercial kits available that can mount in the MKX without permanent / major damage?

we sell the panavise mounts. they use screws behind the trim by the radio.

Thanks for the response. I didn't find that specific product on your www site, but I think I know basically what it would be like.

Something which mounts into the power port under the radio might also be an option on the MKX. I will take another look and see what all the mounting options look like.

Thanks for the response. I didn't find that specific product on your www site, but I think I know basically what it would be like.

Something which mounts into the power port under the radio might also be an option on the MKX. I will take another look and see what all the mounting options look like.

Doesn't Garmin make some sort of an extra cost mounting system? I saw it on Bestbuy.com. Supposed to swivel too. Looks good, does anyone know about this? I was also thinking of a Garmin nav system but was not too enthusiastic about the windshield suction cup or dashboard sticky mount.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't Garmin make some sort of an extra cost mounting system? I saw it on Bestbuy.com. Supposed to swivel too. Looks good, does anyone know about this? I was also thinking of a Garmin nav system but was not too enthusiastic about the windshield suction cup or dashboard sticky mount.

Garmin has several mount types.. the suction cup / windshield mount comes with the Nuvi, they have the no-slide bean bag base for placing on the dash, and they have the cup holder mount. There are also vent-attached mounts, but I'm not sure if those are Garmin or after market.

I use a cup-holder mount, which has worked pretty well for me. It keeps the Nuvi down out of my line of sight, but still works fine for GPS reception.

I'm looking to either get a better cup holder mount, or find something better for my MKX's layout. I'm not sure about the Edge, but on the MKX, there is a power point right in front of the shifter where the dash meets the center console. This would be an ideal GPS mount. One that plugged into the power point and extended out a few inches from there would be perfect. Since it's plugging into the power point, it should also power the GPS unit through the mount.

I may try to hack one together myself, but my available tools are limited, so I can't do anything too customized. If I can find power adapter with a short USB cable, that would be a good starting point. Beyond that, it may take some support extending down a bit, since I wouldn't want the power point to be bearing any load.