What would you do in my situation

schrief

So my Edge has about 950 Miles on it. When I drive down a bumpy road, there is a noise coming from what seems to be the back left seat. It is like a ticking noise. Like something isn't tight. It's not anything in the wheel well or any major issue, its just annoying. Is that something the dealership would look at, or am I stuck with it? I don't want to be a anal prick about it either, but it is a new vehicle and I don't think that noise should be there. I had my wife sit in the back seat and she couldn't pin point where the noise is coming from :wacko: Any suggestions?

Edited by schrief

So my Edge has about 950 Miles on it. When I drive down a bumpy road, there is a noise coming from what seems to be the back left seat. It is like a ticking noise. Like something isn't tight. It's not anything in the wheel well or any major issue, its just annoying. Is that something the dealership would look at, or am I stuck with it? I don't want to be a anal prick about it either, but it is a new vehicle and I don't think that noise should be there. I had my wife sit in the back seat and she couldn't pin point where the noise is coming from :wacko: Any suggestions?

Hi schrief. :D Eventually take it to the Dealer and let them check it over. I would wait a while though. Some little squeaks and rattles resolve themselves. Maybe have them check it along with any other concerns when you have your first service/oil change performed.

But first, have your wife drive the Edge down the same bumpy roads with you in the back seat. See if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. You may have better luck.

The more precise you can be when explaining things to the Service Writer, the better your luck that they will find the problem.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

You certainly shouldn't have to live with a rattle. I do agree with waiting until first service, it may go away and save you the trouble. I have a problem with my '08 MKX (1700 miles) When no one is in the passenger seat, it vibrates. Not awful, but annoying. I'm going to leave it until my 5000 mile service and have them check it out then.

If it is a constant "ticking" and not intermittent, then schedule a service visit. If it comes and goes, and may be difficult for you to demonstrate for the service department, then you run the risk of "No problem found".

The fuel tank (and in-tank fuel pump) is in that area. The fuel tank has a return line from the engine and the pump runs all the time the key is on. If one of the lines (going up to the engine or back) is grounding out on the body, it could cause sound from the pump working to transmit to the passenger area. Just a thought, since you described it as ticking.

These lines should be in isolators, but if one is touching the body, it could create a "Sounding board" effect where you can hear the pumping.

It is difficult to diagnose a problem on a forum since we can't experience it like a service technician can. We haven't had this one reported before. Let us know what they found and what they did to correct the issue.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. First thing I'm going to do is have my wife drive and I will see if I can pin point where it is coming from. When I'm sitting in the drivers seat, it really sounds like it is coming from either the left rear window, or back sunroof.

Also, when I say ticking, it is more of a rattle, like something is lose. It happens anytime I hit a bump. So when I'm cruzing down the highway, and hit every crack between the cement, it rattles. It has got to the point where I focus on it and its driving me nutz :finger::( I think it has to do with this being my first new car and I expect it to be perfect :0

If I bring it in and drive it with a Service Writer, and for example, they hear the rattle, but can't fix it, or do try something but it doens't fix it, will i be charged for it?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. First thing I'm going to do is have my wife drive and I will see if I can pin point where it is coming from. When I'm sitting in the drivers seat, it really sounds like it is coming from either the left rear window, or back sunroof.

Also, when I say ticking, it is more of a rattle, like something is lose. It happens anytime I hit a bump. So when I'm cruzing down the highway, and hit every crack between the cement, it rattles. It has got to the point where I focus on it and its driving me nutz :finger::( I think it has to do with this being my first new car and I expect it to be perfect :0

If I bring it in and drive it with a Service Writer, and for example, they hear the rattle, but can't fix it, or do try something but it doens't fix it, will i be charged for it?

Thanks again!

Hi schrief. :D First, no you will not be charged for it, since your vehicle is still under the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty. So you don't need to worry about that.

There is a relatively common problem with a rattle in the Panoramic Moon Roof, so pay close attention to that area. If that is the problem, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that the Dealer will be aware of and the fix is an easy one.

However, I would still advise waiting until your first service/oil change to bring it in. There is no sense in losing your vehicle for a day or two for a minor rattle (as annoying as I know it is to listen to). It is likely to correct itself in the meantime. Just start a list of any/all minor problems you may have and let the Dealer take care of all of them at the first service.

Of course, if you should have any serious problems along the way (fluid leaks, very odd engine noises, etc etc) make an appointment immediately.

PS - When you purchased your Edge, among the paperwork and booklets you were given is a "Warranty Guide". It explains in detail all of your coverages, Warranty options etc. When you have the time, give it a quick look over. It will help answer a lot of questions, and put future worries to rest.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks BBF. I'm going to do the first 5k service work myself. I have always done all my vehicle service. I will follow the maintance schedule and keep receipts :) I will give the rattle some time and see what happens. i will post my results when i have some!

Thanks BBF. I'm going to do the first 5k service work myself. I have always done all my vehicle service. I will follow the maintance schedule and keep receipts :) I will give the rattle some time and see what happens. i will post my results when i have some!

Hi schrief. :D Great, always a good idea to get our hands dirty and do our own maintenance.

Just as an FYI, the "Normal" OCI (oil change interval or maintenance schedule ) is 7,500 miles/6 months for the 3.5 liter engine in the Edge. If your driving qualifies as "Severe Usage" or you tow etc, then it is a 5,000 mile interval.

Of course, you are free to follow whatever schedule you wish, so follow the schedule you are most comfortable with. It certainly won't hurt to change it sooner. And I hope your rattle goes away quickly!

So I had my wife drive and I sat in the back seat behind her. I reclinded the seat all the way back and listened for the sound. It is coming from right about my head, right behind the rear moon roof. I can actually tap the liner and it will make the same sound.

Looks like the TSB

07-16-11

ROOF OPENING PANEL SQUEAK/RATTLE

Some 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles equipped with a roof opening panel may exhibit a rattle or squeak from the rear glass area. This may be caused by the delamination of the rear trim ring hook and loop (Velcro) adhesive. Inspect the rear trim ring and if loose, determine if the loop tape has delaminated from the plastic trim ring.

Anyone who has had this issue, how long does it take to fix?

• 5 months later...
You certainly shouldn't have to live with a rattle. I do agree with waiting until first service, it may go away and save you the trouble. I have a problem with my '08 MKX (1700 miles) When no one is in the passenger seat, it vibrates. Not awful, but annoying. I'm going to leave it until my 5000 mile service and have them check it out then.

i have a 2008 MKX and also when no one sits in the front passenger seat, it also rattles especially over very light bumps. Maybe the seat needs to be tightened down or is a little loose.

<snip>. . .

There is a relatively common problem with a rattle in the Panoramic Moon Roof, so pay close attention to that area. If that is the problem, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that the Dealer will be aware of and the fix is an easy one.

. . .

Moon Roof TSB!? I didn't know about that. What's that one? Thanks

Moon Roof TSB!? I didn't know about that. What's that one? Thanks

Hi MKx Limited. :D The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) simply tells the Dealer how to fix a minor problem with the Panoramic Moonroof. It deals with a loose trim piece.

There would be no reason for anyone to know about it, unless they were having a Moonroof rattle problem and brought their vehicle to the Dealer for repairs.

I don't know if you are familiar with what TSB's actually are. They are not recalls. They are not sent out to owners of a vehicle. The easiest way to describe a TSB is that they are repair guides sent by Ford to their Dealers. The purpose of most TSB's is to allow the Repair Technician to zero in on a known problem without wasting time trying to diagnose the cause.

For example: The Moonroof TSB will only apply to MKX's/Edge's that are having the loose trim piece problem, not every MKX/Edge. The TSB basically says to the Repair Technician: Okay, if someone comes in with a rattling Moonroof, we have seen this problem in some vehicles already, so check "trim piece "A" first. If it is loose, perform repair order B".

Eventually, those updates and corrections are added to the production line, and the cause of the problem is eliminated on newer models.

Hope I answered your question and this information helps.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi MKx Limited. :D The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) simply tells the Dealer how to fix a minor problem with the Panoramic Moonroof. It deals with a loose trim piece.

. . .

Thanks for the 411 bbf2530

Good to know there are some very knowledgable individuals in these forums.

Edited by MKx Limited

• 2 weeks later...