How to save money on your next set of tires

evh

I thought I would share this tip on how to potentially save $$$ on your next set of tires.

Some background is needed. I just installed my fourth set of tires on my 09 Edge. I have tried all different brands (Goodyear, Bridgestone, Toyo, Coopers). None of them have come close to lasting as long as the warranty indicates.

My most recent set lasted a little over 36,000 miles and they were 60,000 mile tires. 4/32” of tread remaining seems to be the cutoff point for the tire shops where they state that your tires are worn out. I am sure if you are where it doesn’t snow you could continue to run tires like that for a bit longer. Up here in the Snow Belt I want the most tread possible so I get new tires right away.

I went back to the large chain tire store I bought my previous set at. They credited me $75 per tire! So I have a $300 credit toward my next purchase. I bought a set of 70,000 mile tires that also had a $70 rebate so I was out the door for $287. I really doubt this next set will last 70,000 miles. So if I still own this Edge, I will be back to the tire shop and get another set at a great discount.

• Like 1

Yep, treadwear warranty adjustments are common. But they do have to be down to the minimum spec as speciied by the tire mfr (I’ve seen some that say 3/32). And you are paying for that warranty so be sure to shop around even with the adjusted price. You might be able to find a different set even cheaper. But if you like those tires and want to stay with them, go for it.

• Like 1

I did this a few months ago at Discount Tire and ended up with a new set of Continental LX20's for $250.00 out the door. They gave me $200.00 total for my old set of Yoko YK580's plus there were a bunch of rebates at the time.. Had to hit a few different DT stores to get the best warranty amount for my old skins.

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 2

I think the key is to remember to ask for it when you are getting your tires. I purchased the same tire measuring device like they use at the store so I knew when mine were at 4/32". I then went in and asked them to check my tires and see if they thought I needed new ones. Once they confirmed I did, I mentioned I purchased my last set here and I didn't get the full mileage. No issues after that. Note, I was also at Discount Tire. They did a great job.

• Like 1