Rear Doors freeze shut

fordmike1973

I have this only after driving on Snow\Ice for extended periods of time. From what I can tell, it seems like the snow and ice flung up by the front tires cake to the bottom of the rear doors where they meet the body (this is actually slightly underneath the car). I use de-icer on this seam to open the doors.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but  I am so glad to see I'm not the only one and I'm not crazy. my rear doors freeze shut ALL the time. I live in Colorado so it snows a decent amount and stays pretty cold for periods of time and I've had to blow dry my doors to get them to open. It happens while I'm driving too and then I can't get my kid out of the back, its a safety concern in my opinion. If we got in an accident and I can't get to him that way because the doors are frozen shut I'm gonna go ballistic on someone; Sure I can climb over the console and climb into the back seat and unbuckle him and climb back over with him but that not exactly realistic in an emergency. The dealership tells me it's not a known issue. They've replaced my moldings just to be sure. My 2014 didn't do it but my 2017 does regularly in the winter. I have considered trading it in because of this. 

19 hours ago, ashtrujillo said:

I know this is an old thread but  I am so glad to see I'm not the only one and I'm not crazy. my rear doors freeze shut ALL the time. I live in Colorado so it snows a decent amount and stays pretty cold for periods of time and I've had to blow dry my doors to get them to open. It happens while I'm driving too and then I can't get my kid out of the back, its a safety concern in my opinion. If we got in an accident and I can't get to him that way because the doors are frozen shut I'm gonna go ballistic on someone; Sure I can climb over the console and climb into the back seat and unbuckle him and climb back over with him but that not exactly realistic in an emergency. The dealership tells me it's not a known issue. They've replaced my moldings just to be sure. My 2014 didn't do it but my 2017 does regularly in the winter. I have considered trading it in because of this. 

I started to make it a habit to open and close the rear door after snow and clean the flap at the bottom of the door.  Not had an issue since I started doing this.

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a 2022 ford edge and I have the same problem of doors freezing.  I complained when I bought the car and said nothing can be done.  Bought in Jan 2023.  I had been at the service a couple of times complained more they said maybe adjust the doors.  So I did that.  Well first snow which was a small amount the doors frozen again.  I live about 30 miles away from nearest town..  The doors were not frozen when I left home but by the time I got my husband to the ER the doors were frozen.  I am thankful that he was in the front seat would have never gotten him out.  The rear doors did not thaw out for a few days.    I wish I would have known about the freezing doors I would NOT have purchased the car.  I too wonder what would happen in an accident and need to get the rear doors open? I am surprised that this problem has gone on for so many years.   Evidently FORD does not take safety as seriously as they should.    Who would have thought you would have had to ask if the doors freeze shut when you buy a new car??? Neighbors have purchased other brands  of cars and NONE of them have that problem.  Come on FORD keep up with the competition!!  We always purchased FORD but this is the second FORD we have had problems with.  NO MORE FORDS in my future. and I will not refer them to anyone else.  

I live in Wisconsin and so far I have not had this happen. I'm not sure exactly where your doors are freezing. I usually apply a coating of silicone to the door seals. I also make sure the seal underneath that runs from the front to the rear doors is clean and apply silicone. Probably not something everyone does?  I've been using the silicone treatment for years and never have a problem. By the way this isn't just a Ford thing. I worked at a retail parts store and would see people with all different types of vehicles  have this issue.

• Like 1