Ford Edge Forum
Sign in to follow this  
t0lkman

Do you need wheel aligment when you replace rim?

Hi there,

My wife, severely, damaged the rim by a curbside. I want to replace the rim, do you think the wheel balancing would be enough?

People, who replaced the rims and have experience, what is the procedure? Wheel alignment, wheel balancing etc

Depending on the severity of the damage, i would get an alignment. Light curb rash usually doesn't require an alignment, but if she did enough damage to warrant a WHEEL replacement, then I would DEFINITELY get an alignment to cover all the bases. These newer vehicles are so tight within their specs, a big curb hit could knock it out of spec (which can also be said for pretty much every vehicle).

I'd plan on, at minimum & based solely on your description, 1 wheel replace & 4 wheel alignment. You may possibly need 2 new front tires, depending on the severity of the damage, which a tire shop should be able to tell you whether or not you need one. 

• Like 2

If it just rubbed the side of the wheel and tire then probably not, but if she hit it hard enough to bend the wheel then I would definitely get it aligned.

• Like 1

no, it's just a scratch, nothing is bent

If it's just a scratch, I would drive it for a while and see how it feels. If it tracks straight and feels normal, I wouldn't bother with an allignment. Keep an eye in tire wear, but my opinion... you should be fine.