FWD or AWD?

GoodKnight

Hi!  I'm considering leasing a Ford Edge sometime this month and need some advice.  Since I live in Michigan, I need a vehicle that can handle our winters which are sometimes unpredictable in regard to temperatures, snow and ice conditions on our roads..  At the current time, none of my friends or family members own an Edge.  I'm trying to determine whether a FWD model would do the job with no issues or whether I'd need the AWD version, which would obviously cost me more.   I'm hoping that those of you who've had either model and have driven it during the winter months in areas where snow is an issue might be kind enough to provide me with some "words of wisdom".  Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

1 hour ago, akirby said:

What do you and/or your family members drive now?   I live in Atlanta where we shut down the city for an inch of snow, but from what I’ve heard FWD is ok with dedicated winter and/or snow tires.  Although AWD will get you out of a few more situations.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.  I appreciate it!    I currently drive a Mazda6, while my friends and family members drive a variety of vehicles.  Unfortunately, none of which is an Edge.    Since I'm planning on a 2-year lease, it wouldn't make sense for me to invest in snow tires on a vehicle that I'll be turning in after only 24 months.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, GoodKnight said:

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.  I appreciate it!    I currently drive a Mazda6, while my friends and family members drive a variety of vehicles.  Unfortunately, none of which is an Edge.    Since I'm planning on a 2-year lease, it wouldn't make sense for me to invest in snow tires on a vehicle that I'll be turning in after only 24 months.

AWD will not make you brake or steer better on snow and ice. I had the unpleasant experience of driving my Edge Sport on a 400km trip on a snow and ice covered road (with all season tires) and not once during the trip did I think "I wish I could accelerate faster". The couple of times AWD did help was for me to maintain my speed on steep inclines. If you drive in deep snow, un-ploughed roads or offroad, then sure. For general use, FWD with a proper set of winter rubber will be better than an AWD on all seasons.

• Like 1

I live in Connecticut and have a FWD Edge.  The car is originally from Louisiana so it wasn't ordered with AWD (or seat heaters).

My wife drives a Grand Cherokee.  We live at the top of a hill.  If it snows you can bet I'm using the Jeep. 

You can't beat AWD in the snow or rain.  You are not looking to accelerate quickly because of the AWD,  you just need it to get moving.