Touch Handle Unlock not Working

dweiss22

So i wasn't really sure where to post this but I have been having intermittent problems with my driver side touch lock and unlock on my 2016 Ford Edge Sport.  Did a search on here as well as Google and really didn't find anything of substance so I figured I would reach out to the group specifically.

Don't think there much more description that is needed other than what I have above.  I changed the key fob battery not long ago so unless I have a bad battery don't think that is the problem.

I'm open to any and all suggestions or questions if there needs to be more information on this.  I will be happy answer or provide as much info I can.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

DW

How exactly are you activating the lock and unlock?

To unlock you touch the inside of the door handle.

To lock you touch the raised area on top of the door handle.

If that's what you're doing, pay attention to where the fob is in relation to the door.  If it's in your left pocket and you're facing forward I've had occasions where the fob was too far away from the sensor.

11 hours ago, akirby said:

To lock you touch the raised area on top of the door handle.

On the 2015+ model, there is no raised area, only a ribbed area that is easily touched by mistake when holding the door handle, especially if try to open the door at an angle from the rear, like when near the rear door and reach out to open a front door. 

Here is a video of a Fusion that has the same design door handles:

Edited by omar302
To embed the video.
  • Like 2

Guys, thank you so much for all the replies.  Over the past few days I have been more diligent about unlocking as "akirby" noted and it seems better.  I guess I was misinformed on how it actually worked.  Chalk it up to no reading the manual or just making a bad assumption...

Thanks again all...  It's good to have a community like this.

DW