Vista Roof Will Not Close

2008 Edge SEL

I know the Vista roof subject is covered in this forum in other discussions, but wanted to offer my temporary fix. We encountered the typical problem, both clips on the track that secure the front of the vista roof broke during closing. Since the repair is too costly, opted to repair enough to close the glass until we decide a more permanent solution.

1. Lubricated the tracks and contact points for the mounts sliding in the rails. (this was made easier by removing the glass)

2. Since we had the broken pieces of the clips, decided to assemble each side using JB Weld. However, added a small piece of metal in one of the vertical slots to help absorb some of the pressure of closing the glass. One side broke in such a way I could also additionally attach using a small screw to help hold the broken piece down, this was not possible for the other side.

3. Allowed the JB Weld to dry for 24 hours, then with help of two people, was able to close the glass while pushing simultaneously with the motor. The lubrication, JB Weld, metal piece, and screw (for one), and man power assistance worked well. Both clips held together.

Tried to upload pics, but received errors. Hope this helps someone.

Now to try and find a way to open the shade portion without activating the glass to open (if the button is held too long).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Did you figure out how to get the sunshade working properly without the glass moving?  Just bought a 2011 MKX and found out the motor for the glass was plugged in, but they detached the motor so it would not open the glass.  Haven't checked, but my guess is that the clips are broken.  My sunshade was working for a while, but now is open and won't close.  No motor sound or anything.  I've tried it with and without the other motor plugged in since I think the two motors are somehow synced.  The motor for the glass will run when I press the switch, but nothing from the sunshade motor.  I suspect the car thinks the glass is open so won't close the sunshade.  I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere to try to troubleshoot.  I also get no response from any motor when I try to start the initialization procedure (thought I'd try that to revive the sunshade operation).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edited by CroMag

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Ford Edge with the Vista Roof.  We used it probably 25 times then it started having trouble closing.  It got so bad we decided not to try and open it, but we keep using the rear tilt controlled with the left button, then that started having problems.  I tried putting pressure on it trying to help it tilt open, thinking it was a weak motor that was causing the problems.  I started to notice that the shade was not closing fully when I tried to close it. I had the shade open all the way trying to get the rear tilt to open, but it was not opening.  I decided to push and hold the right button that is used to open the vista room.  I held it in and didn't let off, I could see and hear it trying to do something and after a minute or so then the shade started to close, I kept the right button held in until after the shade fully closed.  It actually closed all the way where it was about a 1/4'' from fully closed before.  So I hit the left button, and the shade opened and the rear of the vista roof tilted open on its own.  I hit the left button to close it and it did.  I then hit the right button to open and it worked.  I had not had it open in years, waiting for a recall.  I am going to work on cleaning and lubing the tracks because I am sure it is dirty and dry.  Please let me know if this helps anyone, because I thought for sure it was a motor that was too small to open and close the heavy roof glass, because it was moving slower and slower before not moving at all. Holding the right button in must teach it home position.

They should really put this in the manual, but the entire worm gear(the channel on each side of the roof the glass slides on) should be sprayed out with compressed air and then lubed up with teflon non-stick lubricant. If you do or use anything else the oily lubricants will collect dirt and make a mess and cause more problems. This should be done once if not twice a year

Edited by Perblue

• 4 months later...

I have a 2010 Edge limited with the vista roof.  The sun shade is stuck open, the glass will open but when trying to close makes a terrible clicking sound from behind the glass area.  I don't believe I can perform the initialization process because I cannot get the shade to close. I can push on the glass to get it to close with the motor assisting but nothing on the shades. Any suggestions would be great

I have a 2010 Edge limited with the vista roof.  The sun shade is stuck open, the glass will open but when trying to close makes a terrible clicking sound from behind the glass area.  I don't believe I can perform the initialization process because I cannot get the shade to close. I can push on the glass to get it to close with the motor assisting but nothing on the shades. Any suggestions would be great