2007 SEL Key Programming Issue

I can't find anything on this new infernal site, so I have to start a new thread.

Have a working 'switchblade' key that I use all the time. Range started fading on it, so I replaced the battery. Didn't remote at all now, but will start the car. Got the original key out to reprogram everything.

Close door.

Open door.

Unlock.

Off/Run 8 times in 8 seconds leaving in run.

Lock acknowledge programing mode.

Every time I hit any button on the original key, the horn honks. Switchblade doesn't take the programing.

I think I remember that there were two programing routines: one to make the car run, and one to program fobs. I think I'm doing the fob one, but even Google is failing me.

The procedure for the car to recognize the FOB for starting is programmed when you program the FOB. (There's a chip with a identifying hex number inside the FOB that's being read during programming. It's this chip that detected when you put you key in the ignition. No additional programming is needed for this to be linked to the car. If your switchblade is aftermarket, most likely it's Chinese and these have been know to be problematic. 

There's does appear to be a second programming procedure for the 2007. Could always try it and see if works or not. I've never tried this so can't say if it works or not. (Note, for either procedure, do NOT step on the brake before or during the procedure. If you do, start over).

1. Fasten seatbelt and close all doors
2. Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 4 times within 3 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition OFF. The system will chime to confirm programming mode.
4. Within 10 seconds, press and hold any button on first keyless remote. The system will chime once to confirm programming.
5. Within 10 seconds, press and hold any button on second keyless remote. System will chime once to confirm programming.
6. Turn ignition to RUN to exit programming mode.

Opps, I lied. Third procedure (resembles a Chinese Fire Drill):

1. INSERT a working transponder key into the ignition cylinder.
  2. TURN the ignition cylinder to ON (Position 3) for five (5) seconds and then back to OFF (Position 1).
  3. REMOVE the first transponder key and INSERT the second working transponder within ten (10) seconds.  
  4. TURN the ignition cylinder to ON (Position 3) for five (5) seconds and then back to OFF (Position 1).
  5. REMOVE the second transponder key and INSERT the new unprogrammed transponder key within twenty (20) seconds and TURN to ON (Position 3) for six (6) seconds and TURN back to OFF (Position 1).
  6. The Theft Indicator light will respond by lighting up for three (3) seconds to indicate successful programming of the new transponder key.
  7. Test all remotes. Programming is complete.
  8. If these programming instructions helped save you time and money, please consider sharing our website with friends and family so they can do the same.
  9. If the remote portion of the remote head key DID NOT program with the above procedure, use Procedure #2 below to program the remote portion of the remote head key.
Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

The procedure for the car to recognize the FOB for starting is programmed when you program the FOB. (There's a chip with a identifying hex number inside the FOB that's being read during programming. It's this chip that detected when you put you key in the ignition. No additional programming is needed for this to be linked to the car. If your switchblade is aftermarket, most likely it's Chinese and these have been know to be problematic. 

There's does appear to be a second programming procedure for the 2007. Could always try it and see if works or not. I've never tried this so can't say if it works or not. (Note, for either procedure, do NOT step on the brake before or during the procedure. If you do, start over).

1. Fasten seatbelt and close all doors
2. Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 4 times within 3 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition OFF. The system will chime to confirm programming mode.
4. Within 10 seconds, press and hold any button on first keyless remote. The system will chime once to confirm programming.
5. Within 10 seconds, press and hold any button on second keyless remote. System will chime once to confirm programming.
6. Turn ignition to RUN to exit programming mode.

Opps, I lied. Third procedure (resembles a Chinese Fire Drill):

1. INSERT a working transponder key into the ignition cylinder.
  2. TURN the ignition cylinder to ON (Position 3) for five (5) seconds and then back to OFF (Position 1).
  3. REMOVE the first transponder key and INSERT the second working transponder within ten (10) seconds.  
  4. TURN the ignition cylinder to ON (Position 3) for five (5) seconds and then back to OFF (Position 1).
  5. REMOVE the second transponder key and INSERT the new unprogrammed transponder key within twenty (20) seconds and TURN to ON (Position 3) for six (6) seconds and TURN back to OFF (Position 1).
  6. The Theft Indicator light will respond by lighting up for three (3) seconds to indicate successful programming of the new transponder key.
  7. Test all remotes. Programming is complete.
  8. If these programming instructions helped save you time and money, please consider sharing our website with friends and family so they can do the same.
  9. If the remote portion of the remote head key DID NOT program with the above procedure, use Procedure #2 below to program the remote portion of the remote head key.

Tried all three flavors and nothing seems to work. The 8-count method is the only one that seems to give me a positive reaction as for programing. Like you said, it may be the Chinesium in the key finally giving out (or because I threw the fob recently). Not sure how many more keys I can add to the system before wiping and starting all over. Have some running around tomorrow in the area of my local, full-service locksmith tomorrow, so maybe I'll get a quote. If I have to buy a set of factory keys, I'm going to try and make them all switchblades. If the groves and the frequencies are the same, I can't see why not. I think my wife has a spare key with her, so I have at least two fully working ones, but I might be running out of options.

Edited by Brucifer

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...