2015 Sport - retro hub conversion to 2014 hubs?

Bobs2015EdgeSport

I have a set of wheels that I want to use on my 2015 Sport, that use a 5x4-1/2" (5 x 114.3mm) hole pattern... but for some unknown reason, Ford decided to change the previous model years' hole pattern going into the 2015 model year, to instead use a 5x4-1/4" (5 x 108mm) pattern! While I could use an adapter, doing so would move the wheel assembly out an extra (and unnecessary) inch, which I would like to avoid if at all possible.

I therefore started wondering if if might be easier to just replace my hubs with a set of hubs from the 2014 model year... IF that is at all possible? IF there are no other changes in the front and rear hubs (other than the change in wheel hole pattern), it would convert my hubs to 5 x 4-1/2" wheels, without any further modifications. Has anybody ever tried that yet, or know if the hubs are otherwise interchangeable?

If not, another alternative would be to have the existing hubs redrilled with a second set of holes, using the older pattern, and putting in new studs of course. I just don't know who might do that kind of work.

Does anybody have any experience in this kind of modification?

Edited by Bobs2015EdgeSport

I actually found a place within 45 minutes of my home, that does custom redrilling of ALLOY wheels, to the extreme! However, when I told him my wheels were actually steel wheels, he refused to take on the job, saying that he couldn't duplicate the "chamfered" (beveled) edges around where the new holes would be, and it would somehow weaken the whole rim. I found this odd, since I was examples of his work online, and some of his alloy-wheel work had holes all over the place, including the 60-degree beveled edges... far extensive work than I was asking him to consider doing. I just think he didn't want to deal with a steel wheel, that's all...

HHHMMMM I don't know about that one there.  I'd have to look for a second opinion.  Isn't steel an alloy? ? Seriously though steel is typically stronger than alloy. Perhaps he doesn't have the right set of tools for the job.  On a different note would you mind sharing a pic of your steel wheels or a link? What I'm thinking of may not be remotely similar to what you have.  

My brother (15' edge sport) wanted a set of steelies for winter use. But he said he couldn't find anything larger than 18 or 19. Anything larger required 6 lugs.

Edited by onyxbfly