ST transmission programing WTH

eddie368

My ST is coming up on 1K and I have not been running it to hard,but today I went for a ride and played with the transmission while  doing some runs through the gears.In drive it acts pretty normal.In sport is where things get confusing. I came to a railroad crossing and had to slow down to 20- 25 mph then stepped the accelerator about half way to accelerate back up to 60 but the car would barely accelerate because it was still in 6TH gear.I pushed the peddle down more to get it to down shift but it stayed in 6th causing me manually use the paddles to down shift but it still did not down shift.Driving in sport should be fun! but no it has to be downing shifting and rev-matching.Hell that's  why it has up and down shift paddles.Then there is the shifting at times it acts like it's not sure if it should shift or not .and the shifts  are slow and mushy.Years ago automatics had the nick name of slush box's that seems to me to fit this one. I'm sure this could be greatly improved with programing.I expected better from Ford.I have called ford consumer service and made my opinion clear.Any one else have the same opinion call Ford and let them know.If enough owners complain we can get this resolved for the better.End of rant!

I took the car out on some back roads and tried the select shift for about an hour and did the d s d & s d s modes for about an hour and I can't tell much difference .It still hangs in gears and down shifts w/rev match. Only Drive allows normal upshifts. Manual down shifting is what the shift paddles are for.

• 2 months later...

I find this new transmission a little sluggish and at times even in D mode does not like to downshift enough gears.  Like when turning from one road to another, not in the city, and it just picks a gear and you floor it and it does not kick down an extra gear.  Sure it is a TT motor and has power but it is an ST and I want to go quick not just stay in gear because the motor can power through it.  It also seems to just randomly use 8th gear at 65MPH, sometimes it shifts to 8th on a flat road and other times it stays in 7th.  And using the paddles does nothing it just flashes the 7 and stays there.  Eventually after 1 minute or so of driving it will decide to shift and other times just stay there.  I can not figure out the reasons for this since it is a flat road I drive daily.  It has 2000 miles on it and when I take it in for an oil change I will mention it but it is weird.  Heck the stupid thing got 14mpg last tank and 15 the tank before.  I do accelerate quickly a bit but I expect closer to city rating considering 75% of my daily drives are at 55-65MPH.  Heck I drove my Focus ST like I was running from the cops and still managed 23 MPG. 

• Like 1