Does Sync Connect Work?

Hello all 

My brother just bought a brand new 18 sport. Very nice ride and plenty of power with the 2.7 Turbo in it. He got a great deal on it, as it was a demo and a left over 18. 

My question is that, does he have and able to use the sync connect app to start it and lock it from the phone? We were able to install the application on the sync system somehow, but cannot get it to work. I have seen a hint that the sync connect app does not work on the edge. Also, that you can upgrade and have ford install the ford pass module but that is only good for 10-17 vehicles. 

Any input is appreciated.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:07 PM, jmr061 said:

SYNC Connect is not available until 2019 on the Edges.  You need to have Smartlink installed and yes it works on 18s.

https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/oem-parts/ford-ford-pass-smartlink-start-from-your-vehicle-from-your-phone-vhl3z14f642a

Nate will answer all your questions.  

Thank you for the info! 

So all in all if he would have gotten a 19 it would have had the phone features and to add it he must add that SmartLink, correct? 

If so is there a way he can buy it and install it himself? It looks like it is plug an play in the OBD2 port. If programing is needed we have access to IDS which is the ford factory scan tool, if programing is needed. 

41 minutes ago, accarguy said:

Thank you for the info! 

So all in all if he would have gotten a 19 it would have had the phone features and to add it he must add that SmartLink, correct? 

If so is there a way he can buy it and install it himself? It looks like it is plug an play in the OBD2 port. If programing is needed we have access to IDS which is the ford factory scan tool, if programing is needed. 

Nate will tell you everything you need to know.  Self installation except for fob functions which must be done with IDS. 

Just a heads up I noted all online vendors had the SmartLink device listed as NLA.

I contacted Nate at Fairway Ford where I got mine and generally recommend people go to get info and purchase one.  He told me Ford has halted the sale of Smartlink and his feeling is they will not be restarting it.

:(

Edited by jmr061

I purchased mine through Nate at Fairway Ford as well.  I called Ford Pass/ Smartlink directly.  She was able to tell me what dealerships near me had it in stock.  Unfortunately none of my local dealers had it in stock. She broadened her search and directed me to Nate.  Nate actually had the best price available for it.

You can call Ford Pass/ Smartlink directly at:

Ford Pass/ Smartlink 

844 589 0059 option 1

11AM- 8PM

I found one online vendor that currently has it in stock if anyone is interested.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-module-smart-data-link-vhl3z14f642a

• Like 1

I would be careful with anyone still selling them.  Ford has issued a stop sale order to all dealers.  This has been confirmed by several individuals working at different dealers that support (were trained on) the unit.

No idea what the issue is...being an owner of one of the units it would be nice to know.

• Like 2