Noise after front strut replacement

I recently replaced the right front strut and strut mount. KYB strut and Motorcraft strut mount. I now hear a creeking type noise when I turn the wheel. Ill admit, I tightened the hell out of the mounting bolts as well as the bolt on the strut mount. Torque wrench broke during the job. Could over tightening it be the cause of the noise? The strut mount appeared in good condition when I installed it. Not sure what else could be causing this. 

Check to make sure there is no crossthreading on the bolts.  I know there is an orientation thing with KYB struts, so I would confirm with them directly on that.  People installing H&R lowering springs have noticed creaking issues due to improperly seated springs.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

So was the strut mount new when replaced?  The bearing in them typically goes bad and causes the noise when turning the wheel.  I had to replace mine when I bought my '11 Sport, and replaced everything with new Motorcraft.  Creaking noise was gone afterwards.  Learned my lesson after replacing the strut mount on my wife's Flex with Monroe.  Ended up taking it back apart, replacing the mounts with Motorcraft and fixed the issue.

The strut piston wants to turn when you tighten the nut, and you can't put vice grips or something on it, so the best option is an impact gun.  The nuts usually have a nylon insert, so they won't thread on easily.  If you do use the impact on it, just use short bursts.  Hammering on it is not good for the strut internals.  Let us know how you make out and if this was your issue.

Problem appears to be fixed. After doing a little more research, others that had the same complaint simply loosened the nut to release some tension on the strut bearing resolved the problem. I ended up spraying some wd40 on the nut/grommet and then loosened the nut by one thread. No more noise. Ill update this thread if it comes back. So far so good!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...