Alternator

deestop

I own a 2015 edge SEL  fwd 3.5l  with a whopping 27,232 miles on it and recently had to have the alternator replaced by a ford  dealer to the tune of   $1381.11...  Evidently the first gen of the edge has to have the cooling compressor removed along with several other obstacles to perform the replacement.   I realize this is way early to loose an alternator and Ford will not allow any warranty on this.   (It sure makes me want to look into another make.)   Any warranty or something out there to help cushion the blow?  The dealer tried selling me an ext. warranty  at the tune of 3g or 113.00  a month on a car I am still making payments on.    

• 1 year later...

Alternator can fail on any car, any time. Cars break. All cars break. I have a 2009 MKX and still carry a full PremiumCARE extended warranty on it. (Last year they replaced the PTU). 

If it will help, here's how to get a Ford  warranty for less.

Google "Ford extended warranty " and fill in make, model info. You'll find Ford dealers online offering a warranty at hundred$ below your local dealer. (IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO YOU BUY THE WARRANTY FROM).

Once you find the best price, print out the quote, call your local dealer and make an appointment with the business manager. Tell him your thinking of buying a warranty.

At the meeting, he'll go through his spiel on alm the various plans offered. PremiumCARE is the best, covers everything. At the end he'll tell you his cost. (Its an opening offer). The powertrain is also worth considering, covers the entire powertrain and hundreds less.

At this point you tell him you were looking online and have a quote from another Ford dealership. Hand him the printout. Then ask if he will match.

• He will.

Then ask if he can better the deal. He'll ask what do you mean. Tell him you would like ZERO deductible - if you have all warranty work done at their dealership. He'll run some numbers and agree. 

Lastly he'll need $100 for an inspection. This us normal procedure. Tell him you just had a oil change in their service department, a "The Works" service. This service includes a full inspection. He should check with their service department and see what they think. If you have your car serviced there, it shouldn't be a problem. But this not guaranteed.

(Of course you will have actually needed to have had a "The Works" done recently before you do this). $40 for needed work and covers the required $100 inspection. 

On a previous renewal, I elected to pay the $100 and get a full inspection, just for my own curiosity. But I did stipulate that the inspection be done by the service manager (they are always the best). He was thourgh and found only one small item, not worth repairing. (Piece of mind).

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 4