Interior Sill Scuff Plates

Hi folks, new to the forum, just picked up a 2008 Edge SEL. I've been searching this informative forum for a week or so and have already picked up some great ideas for accessories. In my searching elsewhere I came across the following:

Scuff Plate Kit:

A perfect blend of form and function. These scuff plates look great and also protect the sill from minor scuffs and scratches. Constructed with a clear urethane protective coating. Self-stick adhesive backing makes installation a snap.

Part Number: 8T4Z-78132A08-AB for Black Interior

Part Number: 8T4Z-78132A08-AB for Camel Interior

They appear to be self adhesive sill protectors, similar to the scuff protector for the back bumper. I have Googled and seen them available via several online parts distributors but I have yet to come across a picture. I was wondering if anyone else had seen what these look like.

Edited by Boondoggler

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone knows about illuminated kick plates or sill protectors that are for the Edge, would you please post the information? I saw these on the new Murano and they looked great. Illuminate in red when the door opens. I think Hyundai also has something similar for the Veracruz. These really look great at night.

If anyone knows about illuminated kick plates or sill protectors that are for the Edge, would you please post the information? I saw these on the new Murano and they looked great. Illuminate in red when the door opens. I think Hyundai also has something similar for the Veracruz. These really look great at night.

I think I saw these available on the MKS. Perhaps Ford will make them available for the Edge & MKX.

• 1 year later...

I just installed the illuminated sill plate kit on our 2008 Ford Edge today. They replace the stock sill plates. The thing I did not like was that when you remove the sill plates from the vehicle their are two tabs that break off so you can't reuse them if you want to change them back. I think this was a design ford did, it even shows a picture of a trash can in the instructions so they know you can't reuse them. It's a nice upgrade a little pricey though, about $150 and wires into the door light wiring so when you open the doors they illuminate.

those are awesome... I like

please provide the details where you got them and/or part #'s please - is this an actual Ford item?

I got mine Click here!

They also have different colors depending on your interior. These guys sell genuine Ford parts at pretty decent prices. Shipping is reasonable and pretty quick too. I've purchased all of my Ford accessories from them and highly recommend them.

Edited by pxb006

thanks guys...

as for dealer install.. yeah right, bet I can do as good if not better job then them :)

however, I have a dealer connection, so 'might' be able to get them cheaper via the dealer.

oh.. and for the people thinking you cannot use your old ones again because of those tabs, silicon will hold them in place and make a seal and still be removable if you want to go back for some reason.

thanks guys...

as for dealer install.. yeah right, bet I can do as good if not better job then them :)

however, I have a dealer connection, so 'might' be able to get them cheaper via the dealer.

oh.. and for the people thinking you cannot use your old ones again because of those tabs, silicon will hold them in place and make a seal and still be removable if you want to go back for some reason.

What I meant is they are installed at the dealership not at the factory when you order them as an option. I would opt to do them myself if this was something I didn't already ordered.

Epoxy would work well to put the old sills back also.

Not really a big deal because I don't see why you would go back?

Maybe to resell them illuminated ones at a later time.

Anyway, good luck with the install. Should be a quick one.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

I knew I seen these some where before but I could never find them after my searches always came up with the Ford Flex ones. . I thought I was losing it.

That's why I like your post Lex always thinking better ways to do thing!! You give me and other the incite to improve what the manufacturing company's are too cheap to do. I will wait for you to to get these and post pics on how to do it.

I wonder if the sill light color will change along with the interiors ambient lighting selection?

how do you mean? you mean the dimmer switch on the dash to adjust the brightness - will it adjust these as well? guess you would only know if you opened the door and rolled the dimmer.

but then you say "light color"??

Edited by Lex Talionis

how do you mean? you mean the dimmer switch on the dash to adjust the brightness - will it adjust these as well? guess you would only know if you opened the door and rolled the dimmer.

but then you say "light color"??

Not sure if this was available on the earlier models but on the 2010 there is ambient lighting feature. With the click of a button in the center console you are able to change the interior lighting color to one of seven choices.

Here is the description from Ford's site.

"Available ambient lighting lets you change your mood at whim. LEDs light up the front and rear footwells, front storage areas and front cupholders. Seven colors to choose from: red, yellow, green, blue, purple, white or aqua.

Standard on Limited and SPORT. Available on SEL."

Edited by MOFSTEEL

Not sure if this was available on the earlier models but on the 2010 there is ambient lighting feature. With the click of a button in the center console you are able to change the interior lighting color to one of seven choices.

Here is the description from Ford's site.

"Available ambient lighting lets you change your mood at whim. LEDs light up the front and rear footwells, front storage areas and front cupholders. Seven colors to choose from: red, yellow, green, blue, purple, white or aqua.

Standard on Limited and SPORT. Available on SEL."

interesting.. but I would think it would not do this since it is only seen when the door is open, "ambient" mood lighting is not really a factor then. but this is total speculation since I have neither a 2010 nor these plates (yet ;) )

either way, cool to see factory installed LED is now an option in some areas.

Purchased and installed the illuminated Edge Scuff trim panels. Paid $170 from local dealer who ordered them and I had in hand Friday afternoon. Kit also includes instruction sheet and wiring harness. It took about an hour to complete because I am very particular adding wiring and making sure its attached along existing wire loom.

Looks nice and the wifey is pleased.

Gary F

Purchased and installed the illuminated Edge Scuff trim panels. Paid $170 from local dealer who ordered them and I had in hand Friday afternoon. Kit also includes instruction sheet and wiring harness. It took about an hour to complete because I am very particular adding wiring and making sure its attached along existing wire loom.

Looks nice and the wifey is pleased.

Gary F

what exact part # did you give dealer - 8T4Z-78132A08-AB for Black Interior? I was thinking of going to them only because I have a good connection and can get a better deal I think then what I have seen. just want to confirm this # is a ford #.

8T4Z-78132A08-AB will get you there.. The actual part number is on the invoice which i will not have access to until later this week.

A description plus the number provided will work. FYI - You won't get much of a better deal then $170 on Ford Accessories.

I'm in the Auto business and get deep discounts (usually at dealer cost) however Accessories are priced differently then replacement parts.

These illuminated trim panels are identical to the OE's with the addition of fiber optic's.

Will post invoice part number for the black scuff panels later in the week if still necessary.

Gary F

8T4Z-78132A08-AB will get you there.. The actual part number is on the invoice which i will not have access to until later this week.

A description plus the number provided will work. FYI - You won't get much of a better deal then $170 on Ford Accessories.

I'm in the Auto business and get deep discounts (usually at dealer cost) however Accessories are priced differently then replacement parts.

These illuminated trim panels are identical to the OE's with the addition of fiber optic's.

Will post invoice part number for the black scuff panels later in the week if still necessary.

Gary F

ahh.. good info. I will ask my guy and see what he says. post up actual # when you locate it. thanks!