Oil Fill, Dealers screwing up!!

Jaak in TO

Folks ... I am having an issue with a Dealer here in Canada. It seems they like to over fill the crankcase with oil.

Tha manual states that the fill is 5.2 litres and the techs are filling to the 5.7 litres as 'that's what the Duratec engines take". I had brought it to the dealers attention two more times. It seems they take the vehicle to the bay, check the dipstick and say that it is half a litre over. They hoist the Edge ... drain the oil and proceed to refill it HALF A LITRE OVER again.

I have sent an e-mail to the Service Manager who called me back within 20 minutes. He is going to check this out and I have made an appointment to see him Thursday after 6 PM. The manual states 5.6 QTs and/or 5.3 Liters. They are overfilling and NOTc checking the dip stick. I have ALWAYS checked the dip stick for level. ave been doing it since the late 60's!!! What is wrong with the "factory trained wrenches"????? Does no one check the level????? :banghead::banghead::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard:

Check your levels ... don't depend on the dealer to know ... I will always check it before I start it up at the end of any service done at a dealer. This also happens at Land Rover & GMC ... so it is not just Ford. I have a Porsche and the shops here always use the dip stick to check levels when doing an oil change.

Call the customer assistance center number and they will transmit the concern to the dealership. The customer relations manager at the dealership will bring it up to dealership management and a "process improvement" will be instituted (train the lube guy -or gal). Just don't burn them on a survey (that is called burning a bridge.) :banghead:

Update: met with the Service Manager last night (open till 8 PM) and he checked the dipstick. It was over. He told the shop to take it in and give me a paid oil change and to make sure they put in 5.2 litres of oil. I waited and checked out the new Flex ... nice BTW.

15 minutes later I was called into the service bay and was asked to confirm the oil level. It was smack on!!! The Manager had researched it and got confirmation as to the proper fill. The tech that worked on my Edge was a young tech ... early 20's and is now looking after the maintenance. He and I talked a bit and I learned that the older guys just dial and fill. He was taught by old school to check the dip stick before completing the fill. He also told me that the shop was informed as the the correct fill for the Edge (seeing as the manager has one himself!!!; self interest I guess) and it was posted as to what the fill is. It seems the techs hear Duratec and automatically fill to what they were used to!!! Guess thats changed now.

GREY ... here in the greater Toronto area we have many Ford Dealers who are looking for business. I have many to choose from ... this place I took it to was not were I bought it. Dealer was closer to home than the one closer to my Office (35 miles difference). As a side not ... I am getting close to 27 MPG Imperial on the highway pulling a trailer with a 12' Aluminum boat mounted upside down on a utility trailer ... with the AC on!!!