Under Hood Lighting Added

If you do your own maintenance under the hood of your Edge you've probably noticed it can get pretty dark in there.  The solution is a simple LED light strip connected to a pin switch that completes the electrical path to ground when the hood is opened.  Check out the photos below.  Note, the last photo was lighted entirely by the under hood LED strip, no camera flash. 

How To:

1. Solder some extra wire to an LED strip so you have plenty to reach power and wherever you install your switch.  Here's a link to the one I used. 

2. Determine where you want to install your switch .  (this is the time consuming part).  Be sure there's metal under any plastic you'll mount the switch in/on or it won't work.  The switch will be the path to ground. 

3. Remove the hood pad clips on the driver's side to make it easier to run wiring to the base of the hood.  Just squeeze and pull, they'll pop right out and they're metal so they won't break.  Stick your LED strip to the hood (after cleaning thoroughly and wiping down with alcohol) and run your wire.  Put the clips back.

4. Add wire loom to any bare wire (makes it look professional and protects the wire) and run the wire along the hinge then down through the plastic trim pieces on the side of the engine compartment. 

5. Use clay or something else that's soft and squishy (I used Play Doh) to determine the height you'll need for your switch.  Most pin switches require very little movement to break the connection so the trick is to compress the plunger just a little and never have it bottom out (which could dent something or break the switch).  As always measure twice etc.

6. Connect the ground (black) wire from the LED strip to your switch.

7. Connect the power (red) wire from the LED strip to an 'always hot' power source.  You can use the handy covered power stub next to the fuse box or use an add-a-fuse in the fuse box.  Whatever way you do it, use a small (5 amp) fuse as close to the power source as possible just in case something goes horribly wrong.

8. With power connected your LED strip should be lighting your engine compartment very nicely.  Now GENTLY close the hood one click.....did the light go off?  Your switch may be a little high.  Second click.....light off?  No?  Maybe you need to raise the switch a little.  Try closing the hood completely so you have to use the normal lever to open it.  Light still on (you might have to scoot under the Edge and look up into the engine bay to tell)?  You 'definitely need to raise the switch.   Just keep playing with it, eventually you'll find the magic height.

9. Done!

1LED_Strip.jpg

2Switch.jpg

3Wiring.jpg

4Lighted_Bay.jpg

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Nice!

You mentioned "simple LED strip", is the strip exterior rated (that is, rated to be waterproof)?

The strip I used is not but.....it really doesn't need to be.  If you have water up to the underside of your hood you have much larger problems than a soaked led.  That said there are many many led strips that 'are' waterproof.  Search Amazon, eBay or one of the many online stores that specialize in leds.  You can even get a colored strip if that's what works for you. ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq

Thanks. But I was thinking of water blowing up into the engine compartment when driving on wet roads. (Winter months around here, et. al.)

Really good idea about using the pin switch. I was looking at an old fashioned under hood light that employed a mercury switch.

12 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Thanks. But I was thinking of water blowing up into the engine compartment when driving on wet roads. (Winter months around here, et. al.)

Really good idea about using the pin switch. I was looking at an old fashioned under hood light that employed a mercury switch.

I understand the concern but that's why you have that nice thick gasket all the way around the engine compartment.  It's supposed to prevent any water intrusion. 

Just for grins & giggles next time you wash your Edge try spraying the front with the garden hose at every angle you can manage then check under the hood.  If you use a car wash take a look under the hood right after.  It should be nice and dry behind the gasket.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...