Dual DVD Headrests Install

Well they came in today. I purchased a pair of 7" Accelvision Dual DVD Universal Headrests for my wife's 2008 Edge. I purchased them from qualitymobilevideo.com They were 513.00 with shipping. I liked them because they each play their own seperate DVD. Two kids + Two DVD players= no arguments (atleast about what to watch). Easy install, but I am disappointed in the AV in/out features. You can show the same DVD on both monitors if you want, but the Playstation 2 (sent in through AV IN cannot be sent out through AV OUT to the other monitor. Therefore Two people must watch one monitor to play a game. Picture quality is good. Wireless Headphones are nice for the kids. Took a few pics for those of you thinking of doing the same thing.

post-4234-1216328988_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216329012_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216329074_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216329124_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216329162_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216329190_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216329213_thumb.jpg

post-4234-1216329589_thumb.jpg

Edited by JC4ME

nice.. thanks for the photos. is it a little odd to have leather HR with fabric seats?

BTW, how about part #s for the HR you have here as I do not see a +-$500 option under the Ford Edge vehicle finder. So, you used a more generic version, but which one?

BTW, are the threads and stitching actually white as it is in an Edge with leather? in some photos it looks like it (#7), in others not so much (#1).

nice.. thanks for the photos. is it a little odd to have leather HR with fabric seats?

BTW, how about part #s for the HR you have here as I do not see a +-$500 option under the Ford Edge vehicle finder. So, you used a more generic version, but which one?

BTW, are the threads and stitching actually white as it is in an Edge with leather? in some photos it looks like it (#7), in others not so much (#1).

The stitching is all black, the flash makes it look lighter. Believe me those are not leather, they are vinyl and they match well close up. The cloth seats almost look like polyester so the slicker surfaces blend well.

Here is a direct link Quality Mobile Video

The AV thing has worked out. I just had to run a few RCAs to the head unit and use its two zone feature. Now all three monitors, dash included, can play playstation or watch a video. We will see how they do on the trip. That will be the real test.

Sweet.

Nice clean installation and you obviously have some electronics skills (I'm a plug and play type of guy).

We are still using the strap on dual head sets we bought from costco 4-5 years ago. No video games and only 1 dvd at a time plus corded head sets but it keeps the 5 & 7 year old quiet just long enought to make 4-5 hour road trips. I have NO plans to try a 24 hour drive to Florida with the kids (they can watch video on the JetBlue flight out of Buffalo thank you very much).

How are the head rests in terms of forward tilt versus the stock units. There are some complaint postings about the stock units being tilted forward to much and causing people to be uncomfortable (myself included). Just wondering

Sweet.

Nice clean installation and you obviously have some electronics skills (I'm a plug and play type of guy).

We are still using the strap on dual head sets we bought from costco 4-5 years ago. No video games and only 1 dvd at a time plus corded head sets but it keeps the 5 & 7 year old quiet just long enought to make 4-5 hour road trips. I have NO plans to try a 24 hour drive to Florida with the kids (they can watch video on the JetBlue flight out of Buffalo thank you very much).

How are the head rests in terms of forward tilt versus the stock units. There are some complaint postings about the stock units being tilted forward to much and causing people to be uncomfortable (myself included). Just wondering

I hated the old headrests. I am six four and they made me keep my head forward the whole time. The new headrests are great for comfort.

Well they came in today. I purchased a pair of 7" Accelvision Dual DVD Universal Headrests for my wife's 2008 Edge. I purchased them from qualitymobilevideo.com They were 513.00 with shipping. I liked them because they each play their own seperate DVD. Two kids + Two DVD players= no arguments (atleast about what to watch). Easy install, but I am disappointed in the AV in/out features. You can show the same DVD on both monitors if you want, but the Playstation 2 (sent in through AV IN cannot be sent out through AV OUT to the other monitor. Therefore Two people must watch one monitor to play a game. Picture quality is good. Wireless Headphones are nice for the kids. Took a few pics for those of you thinking of doing the same thing.

Our headrest DVD's came in today and we are having a heck of a time with installation. Unsure about the wiring of the 12v and ground wire. Any suggestions or can you point me in the right direction on the fuse box?

Our headrest DVD's came in today and we are having a heck of a time with installation. Unsure about the wiring of the 12v and ground wire. Any suggestions or can you point me in the right direction on the fuse box?

I'll try to help. Is it that you can't find a 12V and ground to tie it into? Look at my first post, the fifth picture shows the tie into the cigarette lighter underneath the rear air vents. The piece pops off easily and you can splice into the wires and still have the outlet if you need it. Remember the cigarette lighters are on all the time so your DVD players must have their own on/off switch. If not, you can tie a switch into the 12V of the cigarette lighter and just run it outside of the plastic cover piece. That way when you want the DVDs off you can just flip the switch (in case you have young children that can't turn them off themselves). Let me know if this does not answer you question and I will try to redirect my answer.

I haven't messed with the fuse box yet so I am not sure which fuses are hot constantly and which ones are ignition activated.

I'll try to help. Is it that you can't find a 12V and ground to tie it into? Look at my first post, the fifth picture shows the tie into the cigarette lighter underneath the rear air vents. The piece pops off easily and you can splice into the wires and still have the outlet if you need it. Remember the cigarette lighters are on all the time so your DVD players must have their own on/off switch. If not, you can tie a switch into the 12V of the cigarette lighter and just run it outside of the plastic cover piece. That way when you want the DVDs off you can just flip the switch (in case you have young children that can't turn them off themselves). Let me know if this does not answer you question and I will try to redirect my answer.

I haven't messed with the fuse box yet so I am not sure which fuses are hot constantly and which ones are ignition activated.

You know, that was what we thought last night after I posted. We looked at your pics again and figured out that was what you did. We got it all installed and it looks fabulous!! We are driving from Texas to Colorado with three kids, so we REALLY needed it!!

Thanks again for the answer. I really appreciate you taking the time to sound it out for me!

D-

• 4 weeks later...
any tricks to removing the back of the seats?

What did you use to remove the seat backs?

Got my kit in the mail today for my 8 day old Edge

Can you just power the DVD's by the cig lighter in the center console?

***It actually was really easy. There are two plastic clips at the bottom....pop those out of the holes then slide the back down and off. Works better if you lean the seatback forward.

Our DVD kits were for hardwiring, so we went to Radio Shack and bought a double 12v converter and we plug it into the 12v outlet in the center console to keep the kids from kicking it.

Good luck! If you have any problems, this post page rocks! Congrats on your Edge....I love mine!!

D-

All installed :D

Headrests are in and wired to cig lighter for now. Have a splitter on the cig lighter to run both units

Need to go buy AV cables to hook the units together so I can play one DVD to both units

Then Im all set.

Will hardwire the units later, Want to see if there is a ignition keyed wire under the seats to power the units. That way when the car is not running the units turn off.

Doug

Edited by thedugan

So decided this morning to wire it to the cig lighter like JC4ME did. So that is wired up and all done.

Triple confirmed I have the video out wired to video in on the other monitor and video in to video out

Cannot get video to the second monitor when in AVIN mode? What gives

Cannot get the units to power off. Blue light seems to never turn off. It almost seems like they power themselves back on.

So decided this morning to wire it to the cig lighter like JC4ME did. So that is wired up and all done.

Triple confirmed I have the video out wired to video in on the other monitor and video in to video out

Cannot get video to the second monitor when in AVIN mode? What gives

Cannot get the units to power off. Blue light seems to never turn off. It almost seems like they power themselves back on.

If you are wired to the cig lighter then they will not turn off, unless you can manually turn them off. the cig lighter is always on.

Thanks for the response

I wired the headrests to run 1 dvd as a choice and its wired correct but when I choose the AVIN source on the one headrest it does not work.

Any wires under the seats thats ignition instead of battery I can tap off of? Wonder if the usb connector in the console for sync would have a power source going to it. that would be ignition

• 1 month later...

Well just came back from the family vacation to Myrtle Beach and the kids loved the DVD headrests. They worked perfect with no problems. 24 total hrs in the car (12 each way) and they were contempt just watching their movies. So far the ear plug headsets are more popular then the wireless headsets..