Rear Brakes Worn Out 20,000 miles Front Still Great. Why

2017 AWD Titanium with the 3.5 is the best car we have ever owned but the rear brake life is way less than expected at 23 months on the road. Rear pads worn out and rotors scored. Front rotors are smooth and 10mm is left on the pads.

We drive carefully, no stop and go, about 70% highway and the car sees no winter salt. The dealer has no explanation for the difference and of course there is "No Warranty". We are anxious to avoid replacing the rears again so soon again.

Could it be off spec or aggressive (semi-metallic?) pads on the rear which wore badly and were the reason for the scoring of the rotors. The front pads and/or rotors were possibly different materials? I have never found my rear brakes wearing out so quickly; usually the front wear out first. 

The tires are all worn the same with 9/32 tread depth remaining.

I have retained the worn rotors and pads in case I need them to find the answer.

We have found cases of similar mismatch of front to rear brake life on the internet but no real analysis of what caused it.

We would appreciate any help to explain this.

I don't think it's uncommon for today's vehicles to wear out rear brakes before fronts but 20,000 miles seems crazy.  I changed out the fronts and rears on my 2011 at 60,000 and the rears were definitely way more worn then the fronts.  I'm sure pure city driving and driving habits can play a big part in brake wear.  Do you drive like Speed Racer and never leave the City??:):) 

• Like 1

Rear going before front is out of norm imo. I would suspect lack of lubrication of moving parts. Sticky caliper sliding pins, caliper piston not retracting fully, etc. Were both sides (driver and passenger) worn about the same? Were both pads (inner and outer) worn about the same?

We drive very defensively as previous vehicles we've owned getting 60k miles at least with fronts always worn more than rears

Most of our mileage is on the highway and we use the cruise where possible which spaces us back up to 5 carlengths so no heavy braking except for the odd idiot drivers in the city

Electronic Brake Distribution is the commonly given answer.  So if your Edge sees more "action" the rears come into play more often.  Also the rears on 2011+ serve as both brakes and parking brakes.  2007-10 had drum brake assemblies for the parking brakes.  So there is more wear and tear for sure.  But I think EBD is the most likely answer.