2016 Edge - Speedometer needle differs from digital speedometer

I've had my 2016 Edge SEL for about a month and a half or so and I've had this issue since I got it. The speedometer needle is always showing faster speeds than I am actually traveling. The digital speedometer display shows the correct value (based on my trial looking at separate GPS speed). 

Is this due to some incorrect setting programming in the computer or is the speedometer gauge / needle controlled some other way? I wasn't sure if the wheel/tire size is separately programmed for the digital speedometer vs the gauge. It seems strange, but I know that sometimes there are different programming parameters for certain functions in the vehicle.

1 hour ago, mvan231 said:

I've had my 2016 Edge SEL for about a month and a half or so and I've had this issue since I got it. The speedometer needle is always showing faster speeds than I am actually traveling. The digital speedometer display shows the correct value (based on my trial looking at separate GPS speed). 

Is this due to some incorrect setting programming in the computer or is the speedometer gauge / needle controlled some other way? I wasn't sure if the wheel/tire size is separately programmed for the digital speedometer vs the gauge. It seems strange, but I know that sometimes there are different programming parameters for certain functions in the vehicle.

by how many Mph?

From the service manual:

The IPC provides a tolerance that allows the speed indication to display between 3% below and 7% above the actual vehicle speed. This means that with an actual vehicle speed of 97 km/h (60 mph), the speedometer can indicate between 94-103 km/h (58-64 mph). Incorrect axle ratio, tire size or tire size configuration could potentially affect the speedometer accuracy.

Sounds like it is within spec...just barely.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jmr061 said:

From the service manual:

The IPC provides a tolerance that allows the speed indication to display between 3% below and 7% above the actual vehicle speed. This means that with an actual vehicle speed of 97 km/h (60 mph), the speedometer can indicate between 94-103 km/h (58-64 mph). Incorrect axle ratio, tire size or tire size configuration could potentially affect the speedometer accuracy.

Thanks a bunch! That is a crazy amount of allowed tolerance between the digital display and the gauge. Thank you for the good info on this though :)