car stolen/recovered thieves have extra fob

So car was stolen and the thieves kept my other key fob, Ford says I have to go through them but I am pretty sure I don't. My question is there a way to take the key fob off without going to them? They say it requires 2 and if i get another it will cancel old one out. I don't want the thieves to go on another joy ride with my and maybe damaging it.

Truly sorry to hear that your car was stolen but definitely glad to hear that it was recovered. 

You need two admin keys to program a new key and to be honest I doubt it would cancel the old one out.  I know plenty of people who have 3-4 keys for their rides.

If the thieves have your extra fob I would suggest going through ford and getting new key fobs with new keycodes. I know that remote start involves the BCM. Not sure if the BCM or whichever module corresponds to your key fob/ codes.  You might need to have the corresponding module reprogrammed. 

The entire process should be covered under insurance. I'm sure you would prefer to avoid getting insurance involved etc. 

HTH

• Like 1