ST Wheel Hop Solved!

I finally got around to dealing with the wheel hop on the right rear axle and tire today. I know that a lot of 2.7 edges have also had the same problem. From what I have read on these forums some have remedied the problem by replacing all of the coil springs which also lowered the car then put tires with better traction on all four corners.. I did not want to lower the car so I decided to try a different solution. Being an old timer I remember many of the original muscle cars in the 60's&70's had coil spring rear suspensions and suffered from wheel hop. Many of the racers put Air Lift air bags inside of the rear coil  springs then played with the the pressure in the bags until the the wheel hop stopped. Today  it took about 2 hours to install the air bags then run the air lines and it was finished.Anyone with a jack that can lift both rear wheels and 2 jack stands can do the job. The kit comes with everything that is needed to complete the job. The air inlet valves need to be placed in a location that will allow you to put air in & out of the bags easily. I ran the air lines from the bags into the trailer hitch receiver then used the  holes on each side of the hitch receiver where the hitch pin goes. Put the inlet valve for the left bag on the left side of the hitch and right side on the right. After the install I took the car out and tested it.I made 2 starts on concrete and 3 on asphalt and although I had wheel spin there was not a hint of wheel hop.I started with 5.5 lbs in the left side and 15 lbs in the right.Typically you will need more pressure on the right. I will play with it a little more in the next couple days. Cost is $100 for the bags and I would guess install would cost about the same. If you go this route you might save enough by not buying springs and paying for the install to pay for a set of High  Performance Tars. I'm just sayin You pays your money and ya takes ya choice! Part #60785

20190810_192816[1].jpg

20190810_192920[1].jpg

20190810_192730[1].jpg

• Like 3

I have honestly never had wheel hop on my ST on any corner!  I am tuned and have the 20's with the Hankooks on them and they just spin and grip.  Never hop.  Now my Focus ST was a different story but that was almost eliminated with an RMM.  I know the Edge ST and the Sport do come with a softer RMM for less NVH and I wonder if that would have been a solution as well.  Since it would stop the engine from shifting so much and sending a jolt down the drivetrain when it hits its end of travel. 

On 8/11/2019 at 1:25 PM, eddie368 said:

Jamie I have the 20's with hankooks and also installed the RMM with a tune and garrett IC and borla and when ever I brake torq it I get wheel hop for the 1st 10 feet or so then it gets traction and it stops.Now it spins the wheels for 4-5 feet with out any wheel hop.

Interesting.  I can't get anywhere near that kind of wheel spin when brake torquing with my Livernois 93 tune.  Which tune do you have?  Just curious.