Cup holders, yeah cup holders

I know this is probably one of those things that only annoyed me, but I found a solution and I thought I would share. 

In my 2019 ST, the cup holders have the 4 little push out tabs that hold the cup in place.  I always have a large styrofoam cup, and those little tabs hold on with a vengeance that I always thought were either going to punch a hole in the bottom, or I'd pull the lid off while trying to get the cup out.  I took apart the panel that holds them and found that the tension is controlled by a solid rubber tubing that runs through each of the tabs - 

IMG_2468.jpg.f560590744d5d09e3bbda303c65c78ff.jpg

The tension is maintained by the zig zag portion in the middle.  So I just moved it out of the guides:

IMG_2469.jpg.a77382d4c13726848a4d9d7d1dd44fae.jpg

There is still enough tension to put a little pressure on the cup, but it won't leave marks or grab ahold of the cup.

• Like 4

'18 Edge Sport

My problem is that a few days ago, the tension that was on both my cup holders went away.  I've got an appointment with Warranty service next week, but if I can easily fix it myself, I will.

How do you get the console out so I can look at the rubber tubing?

Edited by jhanks64
Want to be notified of replies

15 hours ago, jhanks64 said:

'18 Edge Sport

My problem is that a few days ago, the tension that was on both my cup holders went away.  I've got an appointment with Warranty service next week, but if I can easily fix it myself, I will.

How do you get the console out so I can look at the rubber tubing?

Very easy to do, the video shows how to get under there - 

• Like 1