Reverse sensor disable

dave-m

I have an issue with the reverse sensor disable feature on our Edge. We use a hitch mount bike rack and it's on the car 90% of the time. The reverse sensors (parking assist) detect the rack and activate the warning beeper whenever we shift into reverse.

I've discussed this previously on this forum and received different replies.

Basically I can go into the info center and disable the feature. This is a pain scrolling through the menu to turn it off. Not only that, every time I restart the car it defaults back to being on.

Another user on this forum says he can press the reset button to temporarily turn it off. I have this on my F150 too and it's a great feature, but it doesn't work on my Edge.

I asked the dealer and they said the only way to disable it was by going through the menu. They didn't buy into "but a guy on the internet said it should shut off with the reset button"

If I could ask a huge favor to anyone with a few free minutes to check their reverse sensor for me? Basically back up to something close enough to make it beep, then press the reset button to see if it stops.

Thanks a bunch!!

Dave

I have an issue with the reverse sensor disable feature on our Edge. We use a hitch mount bike rack and it's on the car 90% of the time. The reverse sensors (parking assist) detect the rack and activate the warning beeper whenever we shift into reverse.

I've discussed this previously on this forum and received different replies.

Basically I can go into the info center and disable the feature. This is a pain scrolling through the menu to turn it off. Not only that, every time I restart the car it defaults back to being on.

Another user on this forum says he can press the reset button to temporarily turn it off. I have this on my F150 too and it's a great feature, but it doesn't work on my Edge.

I asked the dealer and they said the only way to disable it was by going through the menu. They didn't buy into "but a guy on the internet said it should shut off with the reset button"

If I could ask a huge favor to anyone with a few free minutes to check their reverse sensor for me? Basically back up to something close enough to make it beep, then press the reset button to see if it stops.

Thanks a bunch!!

Dave

I just verified this again. When I put my 08 Edge in reverse, the message center displays Rear Park Aid followed by off indicating the system is on and it does beep. If I hit the reset button it changes to "on " indicating the system is off and it stays that way until I turn the vehicle off. So you should only have to hit reset once when you first put it in reverse.

It's possible the 07s are different, but what happens when you put it in reverse and then hit the reset button - does the display change from off to on?

I just verified this again. When I put my 08 Edge in reverse, the message center displays Rear Park Aid followed by <on> off indicating the system is on and it does beep. If I hit the reset button it changes to "on <off>" indicating the system is off and it stays that way until I turn the vehicle off. So you should only have to hit reset once when you first put it in reverse.

confirmed same here.. just did it. upon restart, I am back to it being <on> and have to do the reset button to take it to <off> if I go into reverse and my bike rack sets it off. so essentially, as I run a bike rack pretty regularly as well, I have to do the quick reset trick every single time I turn on the car and back out.

I just went and tried again.

When I put it in reverse and back up close to something (bike rack isn't on right now) it beeps. Nothing shows on the display center and pressing the reset button does nothing.

The only way I can make it stop is to scroll through the menu and manually turn the feature off. Then it's on again the next time I start it up. This I don't have an issue with. I just want to be able to press a button and turn it off quickly when I need to.

My Edge is a 2007.

Hopefully it's an easy fix to an annoying issue.

Our '07 is the same. Headache when trailer is hooked up. Confirming that you have to scroll thru the menu to manually turn it off on the 07's.

That's really stupid - I have no explanation why it would work that way on the 07s. Even my 2003 Aviator worked like the 08s.

• 5 years later...