Rotors & Pads..Power Stop, Stoptech or EBC?

Been looking at rotors and pads to go on my 2017 Ford Edge titanium 3.5L V6 AWD.  The stock ones on it don't cut it for me. At 33,000km there pretty much done toasted. I bought it at 30,000km so possibly the owner before me drove the brakes hard. But still seems fast to burn through the rotors. The back rotors are just a bit less then a 1/4 inch thick and one of them is warped. I need to hit brakes a half a block away from red light so I can come to a normal stop. A few times I had to smash the gas down to go through a half yellow and red light because no way was I gonna be able to stop lol. Anyway I'm looking at Stoptech, Power Stop, and EBC. I was specifically looking at the Power Stop Z23 evolution sport performance brake kit or I was looking at StopTech premium Sport Drilled/Slotted Disc rotors with EBC yellow pads or EBC green pads. Im in canada and we get 6 months extremely cold and 6 months extremely hot. So I'm looking for brakes that bite cold and hot. My only wish is no noise. I can't stand noisy brakes. Dust is fine. I'm a bit worried about the yellow EBC pads for noise, and I'm not sure if they would work in cold weather. So does anyone have a good pad recommendation?  One that would work best in my environment? Price isn't an issue. I know semi metallic pads are best for cold but I think they would be noisy for sure. I don't race or track. Just do some long highway traveling from 8 hours to 20 hours driving and plenty of city driving, stop and go.  Looking for best performance without noise and cold some decent cold bite and hot. Seems hard to get something that fits in this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5

All i can recommend is that Centric Blank Premium Rotors & the Power Stop Z23 kit.  I have those on my 2016 & they're great.  They handled the Tail Of The Dragon (look it up if you don't know) pretty well.  If you don't track your car, why are you looking at drilled slotted?  I've tracked & raced on Centric Premium Blanks (obviously not on the Edge) even had a caliper lock up on my CX7 for a few hundred miles & my rotors were fine.

Slotted & drilled won't gain you anything.  In fact, you'll do more harm than good.  Don't want to get into a debate, but if you're not going to track your edge on a consistant basis (even then i wouldn't recommend them), then don't waste the money on drilled &  slotted.  Unless you're trying to go for the Fast & Furious look, then go for it.

• Like 1

I was thinking drilled and slotted would help in preventing warping from happening. Helps eliminate water, ice and keep cool. I'm sure that helps with warping issues. A few times in rain I got warped rotors. I may just get slotted to help remove water and snow, ice. When I think about blank rotors I just imagine ice rotating around rotors and staying wet. But when i think of a grove, i can see how it would help grab ice, snow and water and direct it outwards.  What do you think? I could be wrong. The drilled holes aren't necessary and I can see how it should weaken rotors but I was thinking slotted may have a benefit as a cleaning help.

You're losing mass which you also need to dissipate heat.

If you somehow get snow & ice on your rotors, the slots & holes would fill with that snow & then melt, possibly causing ice to form in those groves & holes & throw your rotor out of balance. Rotors get hot obviously & would usually melt the snow, but warm water freezes faster than colder water too. 

With the z23 kit, I will sometimes get grabby brakes on the 1st or 2nd stop, but is gone once they heat up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lildisco said:

You're losing mass which you also need to dissipate heat.

If you somehow get snow & ice on your rotors, the slots & holes would fill with that snow & then melt, possibly causing ice to form in those groves & holes & throw your rotor out of balance. Rotors get hot obviously & would usually melt the snow, but warm water freezes faster than colder water too. 

With the z23 kit, I will sometimes get grabby brakes on the 1st or 2nd stop, but is gone once they heat up. 

Sorry, I should of quoted. I'll resend msg below this msg

Does the Z23 kit come with blank rotors? I was looking on Amazon but only shows slotted and drilled.

I should be getting the Z23 kit anytime. Hopefully these don't warp like oem brakes. I did notice something recently. In the manual for the 2016 to 2018 they specifically say to torque lug nuts to  162 lb.ft. I looked into it and it's not a typo either.  The usual for M14 x1.5 is 150 lb.ft on the F-150 but I'm wondering if the reason I got a warped rotor was because I torque them to  162 lb.ft 2 months before one of them warped. It seems the reason for the extra 12 lb.ft is because the F-150 has 6 lug nuts and ford edge only has 5. I guess the extra 12 lb.ft makes up for the lack of one. I'm not sure how precise my torque wrench is but I did put it at exactly 162 lb.ft on the setting. So possibly could of been 10lb.ft more who knows. I might just go to 145 lb.ft on these new rotors.  

40 minutes ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

I should be getting the Z23 kit anytime. Hopefully these don't warp like oem brakes. I did notice something recently. In the manual for the 2016 to 2018 they specifically say to torque lug nuts to  162 lb.ft. I looked into it and it's not a typo either.  The usual for M14 x1.5 is 150 lb.ft on the F-150 but I'm wondering if the reason I got a warped rotor was because I torque them to  162 lb.ft 2 months before one of them warped. It seems the reason for the extra 12 lb.ft is because the F-150 has 6 lug nuts and ford edge only has 5. I guess the extra 12 lb.ft makes up for the lack of one. I'm not sure how precise my torque wrench is but I did put it at exactly 162 lb.ft on the setting. So possibly could of been 10lb.ft more who knows. I might just go to 145 lb.ft on these new rotors.  

I don't use a torque wrench on my wheel lugs, and I don't believe the lug torque could cause the rotor warp -  Mine warped at around 35K miles.

I installed the Z23 brake rotor and pad kit seen in the below thread - $169 on Amazon, seller was Jeggs - shipped directly from the maker in 2 days - got about 4K miles on them now and they're great - no vibration when breaking at high speed, and good grip.

Edited by 1004ron