16 Edge Sport - Cannot update Sync - Ford Website

I just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge Sport yesterday. Before I purchased the car, everything with infotainment center seemed to work great. Purchased the car, added my phone, all was well... Until I make a phone call. When I make a phone call, Sync doesn't think the call has ended. I did a master reset, it may (or may not) work for the 1st call I make, but the 2nd call for sure, it is stuck. I can click around on the screen, change radio stations, turn off bluetooth from my phone, doesn't matter. I get no sound (since it thinks it is still connected to the phone). Hitting "end call" does nothing, it just sits there.

I am on Sync 3 Ver 1.0. For 2 days I've been attempting to download the sync update from Ford's website. I get a spinning wheel every time except for once where it said it was going to e-mail me within 24 hours... No e-mail. I attempted this on 3 different computers, 4 web browsers (chrome, firefox, edge & ie). Ford Chat couldn't help me, they said it would take up to 5 business days to receive a phone call, seriously? I'd take it to the dealer (which I'm going to have to do I'm assuming), but they are an hour away and I do not have time this week.

Anyone ever experience this before? Does anyone have the file they can upload and send me? 

I had a 2013 Lincoln mkz prior to this car, sync updated no problem. I added my home network on wifi in the car, it just sits there. I know ver 3.0 can't be downloaded via wifi, but I figured it may update to a later version than 1.0.

I'm so frustrated with this car so far. I purchased the 2016 for sync 3. I've had the 1st version of sync, My Lincoln touch, figured this one would be sweet. 

Any help would be certainly appreciated.

I would have taken it right back but with work and kid's sports going on for my son's, I don't have time. I was able to update to 2.2 late last night so that's good. I'll stick with this for a few weeks to see how things are going and maybe update to 3.0. The issues I had with ver 1.0 seem to be gone now so that's good!

EdgeDet,

You 'should' have another update waiting.  It'll be V3.0 and the build that was released last week 19205.  With V3 you'll finally be able to use both Android Auto and Apple Car Play on the big screen.  If you use an Apple device you should also have Waze as an app without having to use Car Play.

I also have a 2016 Sport and I bought the SYNC upgrade thumb drive from Ford. Carefully following all instructions when I ordered  to guarantee compatibility with my car.  Just plug it into the port and follow the instructions. How easy is that ? Well it turns out not so easy at all. !! As soon as I plugged the drive into the port an error message appeared stating that the software is not compatible with my hardware. What? I attempted several times to no avail so I contacted Ford where I bought the drive. The customer service rep was very nice and took my information and told me Ford was going to contact me with a fix. It has been 4 days and no call back or email from Ford . . ... Ford just called as I am typing this!! :) I was just told to contact Ford CRC ( Customer Care Center 800-392-36673 ) . I will do that now.  OK then I just got off the phone and I was just told that I need to update my SYNC to version 3.3 and then the thumb drive will work . It takes about 45min to one hour to do the 3.3 update and another 45 to one hour for the maps. Lets hope this works.

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

Edited by Xtra

16 minutes ago, Xtra said:

I also have a 2016 Sport and I bought the SYNC upgrade thumb drive from Ford, it was a very expensive way to go. Carefully following all instructions when I ordered giving my VIN # and SYNC  ESN #  to guarantee compatibility with my car. I was willing to pay more to save me time and for the ease of installation . Just plug it into the port and follow the instructions. How easy is that ? Well it turns out not so easy at all. !! As soon as I plugged the drive into the port an error message appeared stating that the software is not compatible with my hardware. What? I attempted several times to no avail so I contacted Ford. The customer service rep was very nice and took my information and told me Ford was going to contact me with a fix. It has been 4 days and no call back or email from Ford . . ... Ford just called as I am typing this!! :) I was just told to contact Ford CRC and they gave me the # to call. I will do that now.  

IMG_2475.JPG

Are you running Version 3.0?

3 hours ago, Xtra said:

OK then I just got off the phone and I was just told that I need to update my SYNC to version 3.3 and then the thumb drive will work . It takes about 45min to one hour to do the 3.3 update and another 45 to one hour for the maps. Lets hope this works.

Please let us know if you manage to update your system to V3.3 and how you did it.  The most recent update I've seen for my '16 is V3.0.  I'm thinking you've gotten some bogus information from support but who knows, maybe there's a way ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmr061 said:

ah a 2016 doesn't support 3.3, only 3.0

Just got off the phone with my dealer service manager and found out there is no such thing as SYNC 3.3 only 3.0 :hammer_self:. I called Ford again to verify and for sure there is no 3.3. only 3.0 .The guy at CRC had no clue 3.3 wow !!  He also told me if I have any problems to call the SYNC support line .. They were the first people I called 4 days ago :kookie:.I also discovered that I am running SYNC3  version 2.0 and it can be upgraded to 3.0 easy enough. I am going to do that next week and then we will see if the navigation and maps update. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Xtra

1 minute ago, Xtra said:

Just got off the phone with my dealer service manager and found out there is no such thing as SYNC 3.3 only 3.0 :hammer_self:. The guy at CRC had no clue 3.3 wow !!  He also told me if I have any problems to call the SYNC support line .. They were the first people I called 4 days ago :kookie:.I also discovered that I am running SYNC3  version 2.0 and it can be upgraded to 3.0 easy enough. I am going to do that next week and then we will see if the navigation and maps update. Fingers crossed. 

One of the first thing the map update instructions should say is that you system has to be running version 3.0

It is a requirement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

One of the first thing the map update instructions should say is that you system has to be running version 3.0

It is a requirement.

Agree completely and they should tell you that before you buy it. . 

Edited by Xtra

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

Just got off the phone with my dealer service manager and found out there is no such thing as SYNC 3.3 only 3.0 :hammer_self:. I called Ford again to verify and for sure there is no 3.3. only 3.0 .The guy at CRC had no clue 3.3 wow !!  He also told me if I have any problems to call the SYNC support line .. They were the first people I called 4 days ago :kookie:.I also discovered that I am running SYNC3  version 2.0 and it can be upgraded to 3.0 easy enough. I am going to do that next week and then we will see if the navigation and maps update. Fingers crossed. 

They are referring to Sync 3.0 Version 3.3

786358713_20190812_1028162907.jpg.thumb.png.aa6a62aff281949328bdc316b0a3950a.png

Edited by ONEDGE16
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Xtra said:

OMG there is a version 3.3,  this has been such a mess. I have been told so much different conflicting information my head is spinning. I need to call my service manager and talk to him again. 

The 16-18 Edge max out currently at 3.0, 3.2 and above is for the 19+ Edge only.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

ONEDGE16 the PDF you gave has the exact answer needed in the troubleshooting section. :thumbsup:

This forum is an amazing resource and it is the members that make it so. Thanks to everyone for your help.:hat_tip:

Glad to hear all worked out. Now for me to do the map updates on my ST

• Like 1