Rear brake lights do not shut off when parked on incline

This is the weirdest thing. 2013 Edge SEL. The brake booster was replaced (under warranty) along with the master cylinder about 6 weeks ago by a local Ford dealer. 

Last week I parked in my driveway which is on a slight incline and when pressing the remote to lock the car the rear brake lights stayed on. (I am NOT using the emergency brake. )

I tried using the remote to unlock and relock the car and it didn't work. 

I got in the car and turned it on and off and that didn't work and finally what worked was turning the car on, putting it in drive, putting it back in park, then turning it off. Then get out and lock with the remote and the brake lights turned off. 

This happens when the car is parked either front in or backed in. It does not happen when the car is just on the street or in a parking lot on level ground.

It is the weirdest damn thing! 

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? 

Could it be related to the brake work that was done? Or something else? 

I haven't taken it in yet but I'm going to have to. ...

Thanks! 

Edited by Cyberdave

It is weird. Are you sure it is the brake lights? That would also include the 3rd light in spoiler. Also, if I'm understanding you correctly, it only happens when parked on an incline but not when parked on a level ground? If yes then I'd also suspect the brake work, maybe the brake light switch is too sensitive that the inclination is causing it to engage. Or maybe it a defective switch. Does cruise control work fine? If the brake lights are randomly turning on on bumps cruise control should disengage.

5 hours ago, omar302 said:

It is weird. Are you sure it is the brake lights? That would also include the 3rd light in spoiler. Also, if I'm understanding you correctly, it only happens when parked on an incline but not when parked on a level ground? If yes then I'd also suspect the brake work, maybe the brake light switch is too sensitive that the inclination is causing it to engage. Or maybe it a defective switch. Does cruise control work fine? If the brake lights are randomly turning on on bumps cruise control should disengage.

Yes rear brake lights with spoiler light. 

Yes only on inclines (other ones I've parked on too) and not on level ground. 

I dont use cruise control but I could try it. 

With more testing I found that when I turn the car back on, I just need to press the brake pedal and not put it in gear, then turn it off, in order for pressing the remote to get the car to lock with no brake light on. 

• 2 weeks later...

I took the car into Ford and they looked into it. They said that the brake light switch was sticking (which is why pressing the brake pedal again would turn the lights back off) and they were able to reproduce the problem even on level ground. They claimed it was not related to the booster/master cylinder work. 

They replaced it - $30 for the part and $135 for labor. 

Edited by Cyberdave
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Cyberdave said:

I took the car into Ford and they looked into it. They said that the brake light switch was sticking (which is why pressing the brake pedal again would turn the lights back off) and they were able to reproduce the problem even on level ground. They claimed it was not related to the booster/master cylinder work. 

They replaced it - $30 for the part and $135 for labor. 

That was going o be my suggestion as well