USB Drives for Music

SueW

I was intrigued by the lack of CD player in my 2019 Ford Edge, but the salesman told me

I could load up all my music on USB sticks, and use the USB drives in the car.  [I could

also play music from my phone, but this is about music thru the USB drives.]

I'm finding that the USB drives will only play my music in alphabetical order, which is not

the order on the albums I've put on the sticks.  I even tried misspelling all the songs so they

started with a, b, c, d...... but the drives still play the music in the ORIGINAL titles alphabetically.

How can I get the music to play in the order in which they are arranged on the album? 

[I've also tried numbering the songs 1, 2, 3, etc. or 01, 02, 03, etc. or 001, 002, 003, etc. but

the music is still played alphabetically according to original song titles.]

HELP!  -- Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello SueW! 

We've loaded a 64GB USB memory "stick" with a couple of thousand mp3 files from CDs we've collected over the years.  The albums are loaded on the USB using the names of the albums for folder names.   Until I can figure out the format that Sync 3 wants to see in a playlist, we're using the "Shuffle" setting.  That setting appears (we're at track 553 of 2346) to make an internal playlist of every track on the USB, shuffling them to play in random order. 

I've successfully done a playlist for our 2011 Escape, and for the Edge that we owned before it, just have to play a bit to get what Synch 3 will accept, I guess.  The playlist allows us to listen to selected albums, usually movie or show soundtracks, in order, playing other tracks in random order.  Just have to get the motivation at the right time to do it.

Will try to remember to post a working example when I do. Had to take all the Christmas folders off the drive until I perfect the playlist - my wife says my being annoyed by having to press "next track" when a Christmas tune randomly came up hints a little of latent OCD ?

Best regards,

AlwaysBusy

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, SueW said:

I was intrigued by the lack of CD player in my 2019 Ford Edge, but the salesman told me

I could load up all my music on USB sticks, and use the USB drives in the car.  [I could

also play music from my phone, but this is about music thru the USB drives.]

I'm finding that the USB drives will only play my music in alphabetical order, which is not

the order on the albums I've put on the sticks.  I even tried misspelling all the songs so they

started with a, b, c, d...... but the drives still play the music in the ORIGINAL titles alphabetically.

How can I get the music to play in the order in which they are arranged on the album? 

[I've also tried numbering the songs 1, 2, 3, etc. or 01, 02, 03, etc. or 001, 002, 003, etc. but

the music is still played alphabetically according to original song titles.]

HELP!  -- Thanks!

Which edge do you have because mine has a CD player and it's a 2019...

Have you tried making sure the track number is in the song/file metadata?  You can either do it through the "file properties" window if you're on a Windows PC, or there are many programs out there that will do this (either manually, such as VLC Media Player) or automatically/in batches.  When I tell SYNC to play an album it always plays by track number.