TPMS False Signal?

oskar27

Back in 2016 when I leased my new FWD Titanium Edge it came with the TPMS sensors installed in the 4 all season tires.

My 4 winter tires do not have TPMS sensors and when I switch tires from summer to winter I store the original 4 season tires in my garage and next to my Edge (I do the change myself)

So in the winter when I drive up to an approx. radius of 20 miles the TPMS system shows the "pressure" of my winter tires regardless if I stop/start the engine while out shopping. If I go further out of the 20 miles range the TPMS system shows nothing and I get a message (forget what exactly says but is related to having no air in my tires).

Is this normal?

Probably,  maybe,  just a guess.   With no signal the system might be holding the last known good readings for awhile.  Eventually it gives up (20 miles?) and zeros out the reading.  Then you pull in the garage next to your TPMS equipped tires the system says 'ah ha!  readings' so it displays that number again for awhile.   The big weakness in that theory would be the transmitters are supposed to go to sleep when they haven't moved in awhile so 'shouldn't' be transmitting.   You could probably test this by letting a bunch of air out of one of those stored tires and see what happens to one of your displayed corners.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Probably,  maybe,  just a guess.   With no signal the system might be holding the last known good readings for awhile.  Eventually it gives up (20 miles?) and zeros out the reading.  Then you pull in the garage next to your TPMS equipped tires the system says 'ah ha!  readings' so it displays that number again for awhile.   The big weakness in that theory would be the transmitters are supposed to go to sleep when they haven't moved in awhile so 'shouldn't' be transmitting.   You could probably test this by letting a bunch of air out of one of those stored tires and see what happens to one of your displayed corners.

Don't the wheels need to rotate for the sensors to transmit?

Edit: I see your comment that they should be "sleeping" if not rotating.

Edited by 1004ron

34 minutes ago, oskar27 said:

Out of curiosity how the TPMS system works?

Somehow I believe the sensors on each tire they need some kind of power to be able to send the signal. If that’s true then when the tires are removed from the car the sensors inside these tires should be dead?

The sensors inside the tires have batteries installed and send a wireless signal to a receiver on the car at set intervals - they remain active when the wheels are off the vehicle.

To conserve batteries they only transmit when the wheels rotate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

The sensors inside the tires have batteries installed and send a wireless signal to a receiver on the car at set intervals - they remain active when the wheels are off the vehicle.

To conserve batteries they only transmit when the wheels rotate.

The more you know.  Thats a very interesting theory. I'm not doubting it but I have had a contradictory experience.  I had a flat once and threw the wheel in the back till I could get it fixed. It transmitted just fine. 

1 hour ago, oskar27 said:

That makes my original question harder to understand.

So if the tires are not rotating where my TPMS system gets the readings to show them in my dash? As I said my winter tires have no TPMS sensors

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that your wheels with TPMS are transmitting and when you get close to your garage your edge detects them.  Then when you drive away the TPMS reading that you have in your edge will stay there until it doesn't detect anything anymore and then it will disappear till you get back to your garage.