P0022 camshaft position timing

Brandesrich

A few weeks ago ,I was driving along minding my own buisness.Then suddenly , under acceleration my engine began to misfire. My check engine light came on shortly after.

I brought it to auto zone to have it tested. They determined I had a missfire on cylinder 3 because of a faulty ignition coil. So I replaced all 6 engine coils. The car ran fine for a few days then started idling very rough with a slight knock. And dying when I put it into gear. Brought it back to get tested and more codes popped up. P0022,p0012,p0015,and p0420. So I changed all 4 of the camshaft position sensors. This did nothing ! Now at this point the idle is bad and at higher rpms (above 3.5) it sputters and barely accelerates. This is obviously some sort of timing issue. So I popped the valve covers off and checked the vvt solenoids. There was a decent amount of sludge on the top of the heads and the solenoids appeared to be covered in varnish, the screens were partially clogged. So I put it back together. Did a oil flush , then opened it back up and replaced all of the vvt solenoids. This made the car idle much smoother and stopped it from dying.  All of the codes are still there . It still runs like s#i#. Barely accelerates.  Brought it to the dealer they say it needs a new engine at 7,500. Yeah right ! The car has 132 000 on it but I always get the oil changed on point and the car is well taken care of. The dealer (Brendan ford ,Glenview, il )  only would say that the car had internal engine damage. But coulton not explain what the damage was . If you can't  identify the problem then how can you possibly  know the solution . I quickly determined they were morons. Just for my own amusement I peeked into there work area . What a site ! It looked like a tornado hit a swamp meet ! I have been in many garages and dealership garages . I have never saw one so disgusting ever. My timing chain appears to have tension on it. I assume the catalytic codes are because of the faulty timing . What next ? Had anyone had similar issues?

• 2 months later...

So I am having somewhat similar issues (I think) with a 2013 3.5L SEL AWD, and I was led to believe that the trouble could be with the Engine Variable Timing Solenoids (there are 2 - a left and right @ $50+ each) as you mentioned.  I have replaced the coils, plugs and plenum gasket, and she is running like new again, but I would be interested to know if you fixed your problems and what the solution was in case I end up in the same predicament.  Thanks!

Edited by Kozmo
update