Just got my new Edge SEL, miss the ambient lighting

njbillt

I traded in my 2010 Edge SEL which had both a panorama roof and ambient lighting.  I can live without the roof, but I really miss the ambient lighting.  Can it be done aftermarket?  The old one had a push button to toggle through the colors.  I see the Titanium is through the touch screen.  I'd like it to be as stock as possible.  Thanks for any advice or experience.   

There are plenty of aftermarket solutions - even Ford offers a kit (CL8Z-13E700-AA), but I'm not sure how good theirs is (and I believe you have to stick a button somewhere that will act like your 2010 did). If you want to make it identical to OEM, you're going to be replacing a lot of wiring harnesses or at least running a lot of wire. Otherwise, some of the non-Ford aftermarket kits can be pretty nice.

I do agree on how much I like it tho. Our 19 SEL doesn't have it and it's our first Ford to not have it since 2009. Feels weird to be in a dark car at night, especially since I don't really drive our '19 much.

I've seen a few aftermarket, and the Ford one only does under dash and maybe the cup holder.   I may homebrew something with LED strip lights and a wireless remote.  I have no hope of figuring out how to get it on the touch screen like the OEM.  Any idea whether the USB ports stay hot when the key is off?  

Edited by njbillt

13 hours ago, njbillt said:

I really miss the ambient lighting.  Can it be done aftermarket? 

Yes, and easily.  Stop by your local eBay and look for LED strips.  You'll find them in all sorts of colors (even color changing RGB) either as single units or a kit with remote control.  You can tuck lighting up under the dash, under the seats.....pretty much anyplace if you're willing to spend a little time running wire.  The end result 'might' be nicer than Ford's OEM and for sure brighter. 

In the Gen2 Edge the power port (USB and 12V) timeout is adjustable.  From the factory I believe the time out setting is around an hour and a half (it was with my '16) but using FORScan you can adjust that from zero (off with the engine) to something like 18 hours. 

Edited by Gadgetjq