Battery Management System

Rizsin23

Hi all, I was curious if the 2014 Edge SEL has a connector for the BMS? Where is it located, and can it be disconnected without causing harm to the vehicle, battery, etc...my problem is that even after I charge the battery and the charger shows 100%, the forscan app does not. It's about 85-89%. I don't know if this BMS has anything to do with it, and if it can be changed. Any information would be welcomed. Thank you!

yes, could definitely be the BMS.  There is a current sensor on the positive terminal.  But not one case of it being a problem yet.

You either have a bad +ve battery terminal, have not allowed the battery to rest 8 hours or more after charging to allow the BMS to reset itself, have a parasitic draw, or have a battery slowly going kaput.

You can force the BMS to reset by using Forscan Lite, or have the dealer do it.  Sometimes the "automatic" system does not work correctly.

On pre 2015 models the battery management system can be reset by leaving the vehicle uninterrupted for 8 hours as @WWWPerfA_ZN0W stated above. Newer models need ForScan or a dealer to reset the battery age. At least that's what I understood from my readings on the systems.

Also, on my 2016 with a new Motorcraft battery, it does not go above 80-85%. So it is either programmed like this, which makes sense as it is generally followed not to keep batteries charged to near full capacity to get a longer service life, or that even my Edge has a fault.

Another thing, there is a As Built Data setting in the BCM that has to do with battery type/model, but with both my current Edge and previous MKX it did not match the actual installed battery from the factory.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys. I have tried everything to rule out a parasitic draw, cannot find anything. The battery was replaced 38 days ago with a new Motorcraft 65 series.I reset it via forscan when I installed it.  I wanted the extra CCA as I live in New Hampshire and it gets very cold here. Not sure how I can find out if it's the +ve lead...The vehicle sits for 9+ hours uninterrupted every night in my garage...

• 6 months later...