2016 edge tune

Markham12

Hi, I am new to the forum. I want to tune my 2016 edge sport now that the warranty has expired. I have read many of the older threads here on LMS vs Unleashed tuning. Is there a noticeable performance difference between the two. I am interested in improving acceleration 0-60. also is SSI a good tune? I want something with 93 performance tune. What are your recommendations?

Thanks

Edited by Markham12

From what I have read the Livernois tune on the Sports is pretty good with huge gains.  You also get 4 tunes for the same price.  So you could get your 93 and a 91 and an 87-89 for the one price.  Plus maybe you need a Tow tune for the 4th.  Either way it is a great deal. 

I have the Livernois on my ST and it is great, but not as powerful as the Sports due to them taking it easy on the trans. 

Edited by jamie1073
  • Thanks 1

You do not want a SSI tune. I dont know how he is still tuning vehicles. 

normal everyday driver. You will not notice a difference between unleashed and LMS. Its literally tenths of seconds at the track. cant go wrong with either on the sport but LMS has a shitty rep with they way they tune (not to customers but other tuners are not a fan of some of the risks they take) I’ve been Unleashed tuned for 60k now. 

I have LMS, can't say the Tune is bad, but there has not been an update for a long time. Also, there are not options or any other thing. I have read that some tuners are able to get the current gear indicator to show (Torrie I think). Also, I read that with other tuners you can use the same device for a new vehicle paying only for a new tune (~$150), but not with LMS.

On the other hand, on my Edge with LMS, the number of key cycles (mode9) is not affected by the flashing process, which is one way Ford had mentioned as a way to figure out if a tune was flashed. Though I don't know how other tuners work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

You do not want a SSI tune. I dont know how he is still tuning vehicles. 

normal everyday driver. You will not notice a difference between unleashed and LMS. Its literally tenths of seconds at the track. cant go wrong with either on the sport but LMS has a shitty rep with they way they tune (not to customers but other tuners are not a fan of some of the risks they take) I’ve been Unleashed tuned for 60k now. 

Thanks for the info. What risks are you referring to with LMS? Is their tune more aggressive? I read they were very conservative somewhere. I emailed Torrie at unleashed asking a few questions. He told me most people run low 13’s in the 1/4 mile. Is this true? Are his tunes more up to date than LMS?

Edited by Markham12

7 hours ago, Markham12 said:

Thanks for the info. What risks are you referring to with LMS? Is their tune more aggressive? I read they were very conservative somewhere. I emailed Torrie at unleashed asking a few questions. He told me most people run low 13’s in the 1/4 mile. Is this true? Are his tunes more up to date than LMS?

LMS and Unleashed both run low 13s a few LMS have broken into 12 but DA/track prep/tires, so many variables. I can't speak as far as what they do. That's a foreign language to me.  I just know from reading from tuners in all the facebook groups.

17 hours ago, omar302 said:

On the other hand, on my Edge with LMS, the number of key cycles (mode9) is not affected by the flashing process, which is one way Ford had mentioned as a way to figure out if a tune was flashed

way more variables than this but have you tested this with Forscan? I'm curious. Though I had my transmission housing replaced with tune still applied so it's safe to say Ford Corporate is not really checking for tunes on these

7 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

way more variables than this but have you tested this with Forscan? I'm curious. Though I had my transmission housing replaced with tune still applied so it's safe to say Ford Corporate is not really checking for tunes on these

I didn't find mode9 with ForScan, but it is easily found under the reports tab with the OBDLink Android app. Flashing LMS custom tunes nor flashing back to stock affects the counter.

The reason I looked for this is because of the attached GSB (page 16).

G0000128 Gas Engine Performance Modifications.pdf

• Like 1

I got the LMS 93 aggressive tune. It really makes a difference. The vehicle is much more fun to drive. I like the quicker 0-60. I was watching some videos online of the tune. How does this person take off like this? I tried many times boosting to around 2000 rpm, but I spin my front tires and it is bumpy sometimes because it feels like I am hopping the wheels. How is this person able to turn off traction and get zero tire spin. A completely smooth take off. Are my tires shot? lol. They look to have decent tread still. They are scorpion verde 21 inch tires.

Edited by Markham12

15 hours ago, Markham12 said:

I got the LMS 93 aggressive tune. It really makes a difference. The vehicle is much more fun to drive. I like the quicker 0-60. I was watching some videos online of the tune. How does this person take off like this? I tried many times boosting to around 2000 rpm, but I spin my front tires and it is bumpy sometimes because it feels like I am hopping the wheels. How is this person able to turn off traction and get zero tire spin. A completely smooth take off. Are my tires shot? lol. They look to have decent tread still. They are scorpion verde 21 inch tires.

Yeah I am going with he most likely has AWD.  My ST will spin the fronts a little but not enough for wheel hop to occur before it shifts the power to the rear as well as the fronts.

Here is mine from when I first got the tune. 

Edited by jamie1073

5 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Yeah I am going with he most likely has AWD.  My ST will spin the fronts a little but not enough for wheel hop to occur before it shifts the power to the rear as well as the fronts.

Here is mine from when I first got the tune. 

Yes, that is about the amount of tire spin I get most times. But I have to kind of ease into it. If I mash the gas to the floor at 2000 rpm about releasing the brake I get alot of spin.

Edited by Markham12

3 hours ago, Markham12 said:

Yes, that is about the amount of tire spin I get most times. But I have to kind of ease into it. If I mash the gas to the floor at 2000 rpm about releasing the brake I get alot of spin.

You have a Sport, their tunes have a tad more power than the ST because LMS knows what the Sport trans can take.  They did not do the ST tune the same and its gains are lower in comparison, even with the same motor.  The seem to want to not be responsible for blowing up the 8 speed.  They did a few revisions and had many years with the Sport and the 6 speed trans.  And the ST has that new gear between the Sports 1st and 2nd that screws shit up because when flooring it is not really needed since it should be skipped at that point and is not.  Ford screwed up this whole new trans by basically keeping  all the gears the same as the 6 speed but squeezing a new one in as 2nd and bumping 2nd to 3rd and tacking one on the end.  Just does not make much since, should have re-geared it all not just plop a gear in and use the exact same rest of them.  Sure it is great for in town smoothness but this is supposed to be a 'Sporty' vehicle.  I came from a Focus ST which was hard not to spin if you liked to drive, and that was stock.  Tune it and wow. 

31 minutes ago, Special_K said:

The ST trans was a big mistake..... all they needed to do was take the Sport and apply all the handling changes and tune to it and be done.....oh and not add 200lbs.....

I will say they should have just done what you said but tacked a 7th gear on the trans to increase fuel economy on the highway.  But yeah if they could not do that then use the 6 speed until they worked the bugs out of the 8 speed.  And geared the 8 speed better, it is just lazy to squeeze a gear in between two existing ones and tack one on the end.  Should have changed the gears for better performance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have tried many tunes and I guess it comes down to personal preference. I am never going to a track to test it. I have just read all the information here thanks to all the smart people who have posted. 

I first tried the Livermois 93 aggressive v3 and liked it. But  I got curious as to what unleashed would be like. Torrie was great and very patient but I was getting impatient with the datalogging. That is a long process. But finally I got a tune that seemed fast as Livermois but it didn't quite shift as smoothly wot to 60 mph.  But it feels like it has more tip in on take off. Very close though.

Last I wanted to try the Livermois v2 93 aggressive because I heard it might be better for some. After trying v2 93 aggressive for awhile it feels like it might pull harder 0-60 but a bit less 60 and above. Has anyone else compared v2 versus v3 for livernois? I thought v3 had more torque so why does v2 feel so fast?

Also Torrie said his tune would add 50/60 hp. So why does Livernois claim like 90hp increase over stock ? But the two feel close. One of them is not right. Anyone know the dyno numbers for the unleashed tune?

Edited by Markham12