Strut mounts - is this why they go bad?

bb56

I'm about to replace my Strut mounts in my 2011 Edge AWD Limited. I decided to replace the actual strut too even though they feel great. I figured since I have to take the strut apart anyway...

So I ordered the Motocraft strut mounts from Rock Auto. They arrived in one day which was pretty impressive. The problem is that one mount was in it's original box with no packing while the other was wrapped tight with shipping paper. Both original product boxes were shipped in a larger box with air pillow packing. The product box with no packing showed where the mounting bolts were poking almost through the cardboard.

So upon opening that slightly damaged box, I see a new mount that was slightly cocked to one sice and i could wiggle the two halves. When I tried to straighten the two halves, they came apart and the ball bearings and races were open. Since the balls stuck to both races, I moved them to one and noticed that it looks like at least one, possibly 2 balls are missing as you can see in the following pic. I also noticed there wasn't much grease in there.

20200111_134025.thumb.jpg.25d7883f47f99e630322ec2e106a304d.jpg

So not knowing if this mount was defective or not, I opened the second box and fount it tightly wrapped in paper and not crooked.  I gently pulled the two halves and it came apart as easily as the first one! It also looked like 1 or two bearings were missing so I'm thinking this is normal.

20200111_134032.thumb.jpg.4a23e6aaebd919de145f97727f61dde8.jpg

After closing them back up and spinning it several times, the balls looked pretty evenly distributed. So the only thing I can think of is that they don't have enough grease and I packed them with wheel bearing grease and snapped the two halves together again.

20200111_135005.thumb.jpg.6f1e0b29fdd7296215c3eabedd828e3f.jpg

So before I put them in the car, can anyone with hands-on experience with these strut mounts tell me if I'm really way off base in thinking that:

1) It is normal for these mounts to come apart so easily.

2) That it is normal to see spaces between the roller balls in this type of bearing

3) That Ford makes them with just a small amount of grease and that's why they go bad so easily.

I am assuming that when fitted over the spring and strut, the two halves are clamped tightly together and will be OEM quality fitment.The last thing I want to do is this job twice after finding out these are bad mounts. I hope to do this job this week so please send your thoughts.

Thanks much.

Bart

And here are the OLD ones that would make thumping noises when I turned my steering wheel.

20200118_110500.thumb.jpg.4c1014992854e62c5579fe3aff2247d5.jpg

Interestingly enough, they also look like 2 bearing balls are missing:

Neither looks bad to the naked eye except for the brownish look to the grease. I would hazard to guess that repacking them would refurbish them to usable bearings again. Unfortunately, it's a lot of work to pull the strut apart to not spend the $90 for new ones.

@vega I haven't cleaned them up so I do not see any irregularities in either mount that would cause the thumping. But then again, the thumping wasn't regular. It would happen often enough while turning AND going over a small bump like turning into my driveway but not all the time. When I would stop while waiting for the garage door to open, then turn/straighten the wheel, the thump would likely happen.

@1004ron Yep - I basically concluded it must be normal. Actually, when the second new one was like the first, I pretty much accepted it as normal. I can understand some spacing but it seemed excessive at about 8 mm. (the balls are 0.15" or just under 4 mm diameter).

I've forgotten what it was like to have normal quiet turning. It's been like that since I got it in 2016 and it was on this forum that I learned about the bad mounts making the thumping noise. It just took me a while to read enough posts to get there LOL!  So I thought I would share what I found.

Thanks all!

• Thanks 1

@1004ron Just checked the rubber cushions and they look fine. I snapped them back together and they do sound noisier than the new ones. Maybe all they need is new grease, but too late now. I did not want to take the strut apart and reassemble with old parts so now I have 2 good struts (with ? miles left - who knows) and 2 questionable mounts to throw away. Wish I knew where to get rid of car parts. I have several others stacked in the garage.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions - it always helps to discuss with others!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is great information BB56. At first I thought maybe Rock Auto sent you broken mounts. You say they easily and simply come apart into two pieces? That's so weird. I'm going to be doing a mount swap on both sides soon, so you recommend that I repack the new races prior to install, just to be safe? That actually sounds like a good idea. This sounds similar to the PTU not have enough gear oil from the factory (yeah, the max capacity is too low).

Thanks!

Edited by cool_breeze
  • Like 1