2016 edge rolling while parked in driveway

Ksmom71

I own a 2016 Ford Edge Limited AWD. It's my second Edge and I'm very fond of my Edge. I've encountered an issue three times this past week that I've never experienced before. My car seems to be rolling down my driveway at night. The first time it happened, I thought my kids were pranking me. This morning I discovered that it had rolled an entire car length down my driveway.  I've read elsewhere that rolling a little considered normal but it's not. I've had the car since last April and it's never done that until this week. I also never had this experience with my '08 Edge. Will I really have to use my parking break every time I park in my driveway?

Edited by Ksmom71

• 2 weeks later...

So - wait... Was the car in park? Is it AWD? How steep is your driveway?

Seems like the Park tranny pawl pin may be broken or non-functional. I know I can't exit my car without it reminding me to put it in Park (2011 Limited). I can exit the car without putting on the parking brake though.

Is yours the electric parking brake (ebrake)? Possibly something wrong with that circuit/fuse or maybe a Forscan error turned it off by accident?

My parking brake is strictly mechanical with cables and such. I just replaced a caliper in the rear because the piston would not adjust properly making the parking brake very weak (as well as a soft squishy pedal). Maybe something there in the rear calipers? Check that the pads are very close to the pistons on each rear wheel.

It should not roll while in park unless it is on steep hill (Lombard street?) AND the parking pawl is busted.

Just offering some ideas.